[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

John K's Cartoon School?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1231313123213.jpg (364KB, 1236x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1231313123213.jpg
364KB, 1236x1600px
Curious to know if John K's blog posts in regards to his "Cartoon School" is actually very informative.

Link

http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.com/
>>
>>3023681
He's a nutcase and contradicts himself.
>>
John K doesn't live in the same universe as us, nothing he teaches has any meaning in our reality
>>
>>3023681
his blog is very informative
>>
>>3023681
Why would anyone want to learn from one of the most incompetent, self-aggrandizing assholes in the animation industry? I mean, the guy loves to shit on other animators, yet he's nothing but a one trick pony who relies on extreme exaggeration and gross-out humor, with absolutely no understanding of animation beyond his extremely narrow style.

People only seem to like him because western animation in general is so incredibly stale, rigid and low-budget, that his spastic flailing of limbs comes off as original by comparison.
>>
>>3023855

Didn't he cause that trend in the first place? I remember a while back that he dissed the "CalArts" style for looking fluid and believably realistic like Tarzan instead of cartoony and over-exaggerated like Ren and Stimpy. A lot of SA goons took his anti-anime and funny exaggerated cartoon character advice posts as the gospel, later to change their stance after BahiJD made it.

Completely sucks if anyone listened to him.
>>
>>3023681
His animation skill hasnt evolved in over two decades. I don't even know if he can animate properly without extremes
>>
File: IMG_3525.png (163KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3525.png
163KB, 640x1136px
>>3023681
>even if you own other supplies, only these will do
>>
>>3023899
I animate with a plastic box, lamp and tape.
>>
>>3023899
>200 dollars in art supplies
>can easily get everything cheaper
>>
>>3023883
A lot of people almost consider him legendary, which I think is a huge shame.

On a related note, I looked up this BahiJD person, and I'm not a fan of that type of animation either. It does require a lot of skill to pull of, and I suppose it's technically impressive, but I'm so incredibly sick of that style of animation. You see it in every anime with any kind of action, and the constant and excessive use of wildly exaggerated attacks and crazy camera angles got old a decade ago. I know this is more of a personal grape, but it feels so ridiculously shallow and repetitive. It is to anime what the song Mad World is to movie trailers.
>>
>>3023883
He praised Ken Duncan's animations of Jane from Tarzan. He doesn't flat out hate anime either, he likes Tezuka and says that anime does certain stuff much better than Western animation.

The stuff he hates is animation that is boring or sloppily done and non-animators bossing around animators to make cartoons laden with the same old story tropes.

I thought he was just an old grump (which he is) but he's actually right about many things regarding the industry.And through his blog made me much better at cartooning by helping me understand classic cartoons, it's made me one of the better animators in my animation classes.
>>
I'm not one hundred percent informed in John K's nutty ways but the most recent animations hes been in charge of are all very avant garde compared to his old work.
>>
>>3023681
There's an online hate boner for him that's not entirely justified, but his writing is actually very informative. Just keep in mind it's all coming from his perspective and world view. This is true with any instructor; you are learning what they know, not what they don't. You keep what works for you, discard what doesn't, and don't become a sycophant and proselytize his methods as the one true path. This is something /ic/ does every day with arguments over so-and-so's construction methods, textured vs hard round brushes, or glazing versus alla prima. Just don't be like that, and John K will be a fine resource.
>>
>>3024020

He switched his positions over the years.
>>
>>3024044
>There's an online hate boner for him
That must be a new thing. Every time his name has come up, either on /ic/ or elsewhere, he's been universally praised. I know, because if I ever said anything negative about him, I'd get completely shit on.

If there's a "hate boner" for him now, that's entirely justified in my eyes.
>>
>>3024061
Hate boner might be a strong way to put it but I do think most people agree the guy is something of an asshole. Even his fans.

He does know his old school cartoons though.
>>
>>3024020

>The stuff he hates is animation that is boring or sloppily done

>sloppily done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dShsDp7CSv4
>>
>>3023681

He sucks now. He can't even finish a 6 minute cartoon in 5 years. Who cares what he thinks?
>>
>>3023899
I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JPD6QZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a much better choice. Weighs less than a clipboard so I can take it basically anywhere that has a power outlet.

Also, get this:

http://www.lightfootltd.com/content/round-pegbar-plastic

Then you can use standard hole punched paper, or punch your own!

There, I just saved you $175
>>
>>3024071
this is fucking terrible
I thought cartoons were supposed to be fun
>>
>>3024061
I actually meant to write "not entirely unjustified", which is to say it's mostly unjustified, but there are kernels of truth here and there in the criticism.

I guess it depends on which generation you belong to. Those who grew up with Ren and Stimpy idolized him, those who came before think he's a backward-looking fanboy who didn't do anything to push the technique of the medium forward, and those who came after mostly know him for creeping on Katy Rice and other girls in his employ.

I myself don't think super highly of his technique, yet I appreciate the amount of personality he puts into his works. They're recognizable, and he paved the way for later shows where the creator's name is just as important as the studio and network. But I digress.
>>
File: milt-gross.jpg (288KB, 975x1461px) Image search: [Google]
milt-gross.jpg
288KB, 975x1461px
>>3024071
The cartooning in a lot of recent John K stuff is heavily influenced by Milt Gross who uses goofy intentionally sloppy construction. John has a fixation with trying to animate Milt Gross-like stuff which I don't think is good for his animators as they aren't so experienced (since he doesn't have big money anymore) so it comes off sloppier than it should.
>>
File: 13123123.jpg (267KB, 960x535px) Image search: [Google]
13123123.jpg
267KB, 960x535px
>>3024084
On the subject of supplies, anyone know where to get some cheap traditional stuff for animators?
>>
>>3023681
He's an arrogant son of a bitch Warner Bros Looney Tune Fan Boy. If you can look past that, you can get a lot out of his posts. Just don't start believing him when he starts ranting about Cal Arts, and how much Disney sucks. If you can read his posts and see what is axe-grinding bullshit, and what is useful advice, then there's a lot of stuff you can learn from him. Even when he's somewhat right he blows things way out of proportion and overplays his hand, or has such an arrogant attitude about it, it's a little sickening to read.

Also, the Preston Blair book he shills is good, would definitely recommend it.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.