[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: PhyrexDreadSketch.jpg (66KB, 596x207px) Image search: [Google]
PhyrexDreadSketch.jpg
66KB, 596x207px
Am I the only one who thinks that the Magic: The Gathering was much better before in the old letters than in the present ones?

Pic related: Sketch from phyrexian dreadnought
>>
>>3023602
> The Gathering was much better before in the old letters than in the present ones?
Much better before in vintage edition than the present editions, sorry.
>>
no, the pictures really took a nosedive into homogenous digital art land

they want everything to look the same because it makes the world more consistent, like this is some video game where the world is actually a world and not a few snapshots of different creatures and spells

it's not like the skill of the artists has decreased, but the direction has gotten really fucking stupid
>>
>>3023602
It wasn't better before, it was just less consistent. Now they try to have every piece be technically high level and all uniform in style and design so the brand is strong and clear. They seem to like the rather more realistic look these days. Before they let artists have more freedom, and that meant you got people showing off their personal styles more and doing different things. You got some fantastic results like that, but you also got some pure garbage art that was printed as well. If you go back far enough too (Ice Age and before) there was no style guide at all so the set felt all over the place and whether or not things seemed alike across different cards was pure chance.
>>
>>3023613
>>3023614
They should have reached an agreement between artists and management, not demand this standards. As a consequence nowadays seems that all illustrations are technically the same .
>>
File: mw_TAoM_p10.jpg (133KB, 598x902px) Image search: [Google]
mw_TAoM_p10.jpg
133KB, 598x902px
>>3023602
Fantasy art is boring. It's a mass market industry that produces the same generic design conventions over and over. Never before have so many productive manhours been wasted to produce generic trash. Give me sloppy art with shakey fundamentals but unique ideas over the infinite scroll of polished turds I see on artstation every day.
>>
>>3023690
Remembers me to Moebius art.
>>
>>3023690
This man knows whats up.
And they never try to look at the subjects in different ways, it's always the same glowy photoshop shit
>>
File: tumblr_nkt5gvq8cC1t3fruoo2_1280.jpg (641KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkt5gvq8cC1t3fruoo2_1280.jpg
641KB, 1280x1024px
>>3023850
Similar fantasy setting to some of Moebius's work. Artist is Michael Kirkbride who also wrote a lot of the lore for the game.
http://michaelkirkbride.tumblr.com/
>>
File: Spirit-of-the-Night-300x249.jpg (25KB, 300x249px) Image search: [Google]
Spirit-of-the-Night-300x249.jpg
25KB, 300x249px
Mirage/Visions is easily the peak of mtg art, no contest
>>
File: 1454517609165.jpg (38KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1454517609165.jpg
38KB, 512x384px
>>3025311
This
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.