[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books on designing realistic mecha.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 20

File: brian-sum-heavy-mech[1].jpg (1MB, 1200x1860px) Image search: [Google]
brian-sum-heavy-mech[1].jpg
1MB, 1200x1860px
Are there good books on designing realistic mecha?
Something that goes into the details of the design, explain shapes and such?

Something more advanced that just put random vent here, some panel there and a few bolts here and a large gun in its hand.
>>
File: C0AiCrzUkAEOBGh[1].jpg (102KB, 607x1000px) Image search: [Google]
C0AiCrzUkAEOBGh[1].jpg
102KB, 607x1000px
Also, if you have a link or something, share.
Found one book that might be good but if this book is actually uploaded anywhere, it is burred under tons of spam and virus downloads.

Name of the book.
ABAKAN 2288: kallamity's world of mecha design
>>
File: 1478943513409.jpg (224KB, 1240x637px) Image search: [Google]
1478943513409.jpg
224KB, 1240x637px
Real life, maybe?
Look at actual robots, machines and military hardware.
>>
>>3023604
Looked, have whole folder of various machines, robots and such.
What I am more interested is where does artist gets inspiration for it, for example you can see many mechs having various elements that are repeated over and over again by many artists.
Examples are:
Bubbly armour, panel layout, round flat shapes on hands and legs.
General shape of the armor, where does it come from, is it taken from some sport equipment and altered, what was the source of inspiration here.

Would like to find a book that goes into it.
>>
>>3023570
>realistic
Boy I sure hope that isn't piloted or there aren't any human limbs in the mech's limbs because anatomically inconsistent.
If it was large enough to have a human torso would defeat the form factor anyway, bipedal movement isn't very feasible for anything extremely heavy
What fine manipulation do you hope to get from an oversized pinky?
>>
File: maschinen-krieger-3.jpg (188KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
maschinen-krieger-3.jpg
188KB, 500x667px
>>3023620
>Boy I sure hope for less retards like you.
Do you know even what mecha is?

There is difference between Front Mission, Matrix, Maschinen Krieger pic related mecha and Gundam or power rangers.
>>
File: 1461513318744.jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1461513318744.jpg
52KB, 600x450px
>>3023620
>bipedal movement isn't very feasible for anything extremely heavy
Because mecha is only bipedal.
>>
File: 2174933121_8f733958ef.jpg (114KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2174933121_8f733958ef.jpg
114KB, 500x375px
>>3023620
>If it was large enough to have a human torso would defeat the form factor anyway
>>
>>3023620
>What fine manipulation do you hope to get from an oversized pinky?
I dont know, you tell me, does this look agile enough?
>>
File: DSC01172s.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01172s.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>>3023630
Or this
>>
>>3023620
Or this.
Its maybe 2.5 m tall, basically your average tank except can walk mountains.
>>
>>3023620
>everything I know about mecha I know from trailers shown before naruto the post
>>
File: DSCN8502.jpg (94KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8502.jpg
94KB, 800x600px
>>3023620
Fucking tripfags
>>
Might as well post few more for reference who ever has same interest in mecha things.
>>
File: krote-10.png (1MB, 1000x1539px) Image search: [Google]
krote-10.png
1MB, 1000x1539px
>>
>>3023625
sorry to say this, but >>3023620
is right. mecha don't make any sense, no matter whether they are formed in the shape of an oversized human, arachnid or n-legged thing.
Legs simply have no real use in any realistic scenario, for one very simple reason:

economics of war.

Maybe a multi-legged robot can walk in the mountains, but in 95% of the mountain terrain a tank can also drive around - these 5% of terrain that can't be reached by tanks in pretty much all cases is of so little strategic value, that you don't have to enter it anyway.
This 'advantage' of being able to enter a little bit more terrain is easily trumped by the advantages a tank (or similar already existing vehicle) has:
- cheaper by atleast the factor 10, because of how easy tanks are to produce. They contain no really complicated parts.
- more reliable. Less electronics and precision architecture means less likely to fail in a combat scenario.
- faster. transfering power from the engine to chains to the ground is a whole lot easier and more efficient than to do the same thing by legs. If you wanted to reach speeds of 50mp/h with a legged mecha, you'd either have to lose so much weight that you have way to install armor, or invent an engine powerful enough to offset the weight (at which point you could simply install said engine into a tank, and you'd end up with the same situation again).
- multi-purpose: you can use tanks to transport large amounts of resources, simply by strapping it on top of the tank. This will make the tank slower, but not limit it in any of its functions. the same can't be done with a mecha, legs would have a maximum weight they can support, and the balancing software would most likely only support the default weight of the machine.
- efficient. a tank's fuel is pretty much only used to move the thing forward - a mecha on the other hand would have to use fuel to keep the balancing software going, move limbs up and down, etc... (cont.)
>>
>>3023665
with the same amount of fuel a tank would be able to travel a lot farther.
- maintenance: tanks aren't rocket science. modern tanks are complicated, but not *that* complicated. Training people to repair these things is rather easy. The same can't be said about mechas. This not only allows more tanks to be in use at the same time compared to mechs, it also reduces cost of keeping them running.
- tanks are dumb. Tanks are old tech, and their basic functionality continues to function even if all electronics are damaged. The same can't be said about mechas. Since EMP weapons are a thing, investing in vulnerable technology such as mechas doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

and that's just for the tank. This completely disregards the fact that even in the terrain that a tank couldn't reach, you could still simply deploy, let's say, a helicopter - a technology that also already exists, and is also a lot cheaper than a mecha.

The only possible use a mecha can have is in areas where other military equipment is hard to deploy, which is almost none. The only ones I can think of are inside of buildings, but when would that ever happen?
Again, simple economics: if blowing up the entire building is cheaper than building a designated robotic force to enter them, it won't be done.

But okay, I get what you are *actually* talking about: let's disregard for a moment the absurdity of mechas, and enter the suspension of disbelief of a world where mechas already exist.

What would an efficient and optimal mecha look like? (cont.)
>>
>>3023665
>>3023670
no fun allowed
>>
>>3023673
he said cont. you cont
>>
File: origsinal.jpg (138KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
origsinal.jpg
138KB, 1280x960px
>>3023665
>>3023670
>cont.)
kek
Look, mecha dont have to compete with tanks, mecha can be a heavy weapon platform to get up the mountain and clean it from squirrels.
Its not only legged thing here >>3023641 >>3023631 and pic related.
It can be a support, you know tanks and vehicles take a road and mech take some forest.
It can use terrain you know, peak from behind a dune or ruin, shoot an arab and duck.
Military fucking laced cat with cameras inside out and drugged its own citizen to figure out whether something can be used as a weapon, you tell me military wont find a use for a fucking mech?
Also, mecha Its a style and style can be either believable or gundam and power rangers, just because something is not feasible now does not mean it wont be feasible in a few years which is what mecha, its something that look like it can already exist minus minor details.

Also, I think you need to contact guys at Boston Dynamics and tell them that their walking robots, big dogs and humanoids wont work and explain to them what economy of war is.
I mean they are designing it for military after all, you might need to print out your posts and contact an admiral or someone and give it to him.
Those guys just dont know how much it don't make any sense (you might need to print out detailed calculation on 5% terrain its strategic value and how less electronics and precision architecture and simple parts are simply better)

>>3023673
>>3023677
Now guys, be nice dont be conts to eachother in my thread.
>>
>>3023620
what's next? are you gonna tell us that dragons dont exist too?
>>
>>3023670
in civilian cases (mechas as tools for workers in factories) they would have arms, because they would be useless for production otherwise. They would also not have any armor other than isulation for the cables. Anything more would be useless and produce unnecessary cost for the company.

In military cases, the mecha wouldn't have a central brain. Central electronics are too easily damaged, and catastrophic failure is never an option. Instead each limb would have their own control unit, which communicates with all other limbs that are still functional. This way if a limb is damaged, only this single limb ceases to function, and can later be replaced with a new limb.
Limbs would utilize a form factor with angled surfaces similar to stealth vehicles - any surface that would allow bullets to bounce off rather than to penetrate is of obvious benefit.
Other than this, no thick armor. The weight would be problematic. An active defense system to destroy incoming projectiles would probably weigh less.

The most realistic use however would be a support type, like the ones being developed by boston dynamics. These things are smaller than (maximum as big as) humans and help small squads. Example: carry their equipment, act as a mobile communication beacon, transport wounded in a stabilized position, etc.
Basically, they would be deployed in situations where heavy weaponry such as tanks aren't needed yet, yet just infantry alone might hit their limit.

These small support types wouldn't need fast speed (just fast enough to keep up with sprinting humans), armor (won't directly attack enemies, can simply stay in cover), or expensive electronics (move through terrain, follow your squad, don't fall over, that's all the commands it needs).

And that's about all I can think of.

That were my two cents, now I'll check my artbook collection to see whether I have some artbooks or tutorials on mechas.
>>
>>3023686
>>3023570
okay, I got several artbooks for you, I'm currently zipping + uploading them, might take a bit because of my shitty connection speed though (~300mb of pdfs) - I don't know how in-depth they are, or if they even contain what you are looking for, but they are all on the topic of mechs and robots, so it should contain at least some useful information for you.
>>
>>3023665
>>3023670
>>3023686

Wow anon
>>
File: Bliss Quads.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
Bliss Quads.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>3023711
Ok anon, will be grateful.
Also, imagine you with your marine bros go shoot mosul and as you approaching the city this bitch peaks out of the forest to your right and take a shot at you then hides before any of you could even turn your turret.

Then you get mortar from the city and rpg from windows and as you turn your turrets he again takes a peak and shots at you.

You cant send people because he'll buttfuck them, your tech wont make it in the forest and just it happens all your aircraft carriers are far away so no helli or C130 can fly to your rescue and shot at it.

Or even better, as you and your polish grom unit go liberate london from AGAIN, it shots at you from big ben minaret and your tanks cant even aim that high.
And all your hellicopters are not working because you signed a deal with ukraine.

What will you do?

See there are uses for those things, if nothing else it will make enemy shit its pants twice in a row, first time when he sees it and second time when he realise this is not a dream.

Also
>Captcha: Bliss Quads
Bless my quads bros.
>>
>>3023725
Pic related, is the bitch that peaks out of the forest.
>>
>>3023711
Anon pls we need it!
>>
>>3023725
yeah, or alternatively your enemy uses 1% of the budget needed to produce a single one of these things, and puts 50 soldiers with rocket launchers into the same forest, who can peek, shoot and hide just as fast, and completely and utterly obliterates you with a barrage of rockets, so you won't even get a chance to turn your turret into their direction a second time.

Or three tanks, which would also be more than enough to supress you, without the need to hide, and would still end up cheaper than the mech, even if one of the tank gets destroyed and the other two damaged in the process.

IF mechas are being used, then small ones that support ground troops. E.g. one that is a few feet high, can carry equipment, and maybe get a stationary launcher with heavy projectiles mounted to it.

anyways, upload is done, here are the files:

https://mega.nz/#!g6ZlyIYZ!5ndrD8GKpG_sKFv8seDno-BeA4PsoebWaiuWXz8kUL0

>>3023738
sorry for my shite internet speed.

I hope they are useful.
>>
File: 1510nu01[1].jpg (399KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1510nu01[1].jpg
399KB, 600x800px
>>3023739
Will check in a while, been busy searching for reference.

Been researching maschinen krieger stuff and lots of it is done by kitbashing.
Pretty inspiring stuff if you ask me.
>Done with a mouse
http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/jp/work/10pod/

Pic related done with plastic bottles.
http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/jp/work/1510nu/
http://privateerpress.com/hobby/hobby-blog/cryxian-bile-reservoir
>>
>>3023739
Not OP, but thanks for sharing.
>>
I'd recommend looking up Scott Robertson's tutorials. He deals with a lot of related stuff.
>>
>>3023739
Thanks for the books, anon, sadly I am searching for something that would explain whole philosophy to me, maybe few words about design and such, mechanisms.

Thanks anyway, maybe those books help someone who need a reference since there are many of those.
>>
>>3023665
Wouldn't legs promote speedier transport if it was something like an EVA unit?
>>
>>3023843
But thats not realistic, thats the point of realistic mecha that it looks like something that could already exist and only people who understand how it actually works know it cant just yet.

Realistic mechs on basic level are fairly well understood, you have armor, you have controls, weapons, servo, motors, actuators.
It weight a ton so its heavy and is not indestructible.
Its basically A10 or Ka-50 except on two legs, its systems are pretty grounded as well.

Now EVA units are magic giants (I be honest with you I have no idea what the whole fucking thing was) so EVA are magic giants clad in armor, its weapon is... your guess is as good as mine and their controls are... tank of magical pee in which you can get dissolved.
They run like Usain Bolt with a tv on his back and they do tons of other unexplainable shit, like my mecha loves me because its my mother or something.

Either way, thats not what I call realistic mecha.
Inb4 plebs in charge of understanding evangelion, dont pretend you actually understand what that mindfuck was about.
Even if I liked it it was still a mindfuck.
>>
>>3023853
Fair enough. EVA units are far from realistic, you're right. Thanks.
>>
>>3023853
EVA Units dont really count as mechs do they? Weren't they supposed to be literal giants with armor and electronics to control them?
>>
>>3023906
Yeap.
>>
File: B9bdgpoCIAEJAY3.jpg (56KB, 600x488px) Image search: [Google]
B9bdgpoCIAEJAY3.jpg
56KB, 600x488px
Bump for book, preferable the one I can download somewhere.

On a sidenote, since many maschinen krieger models were created by kitbashing, I looked into the process and it gave me many new ideas on how to approach the subject.
Still would like to rad a good book on mecha design.
>>
>>3023570
the best book in existence is experience you fucking oaf.
not everything can be learned by reading a book, and if you continue thinking this way you'll never make it.
>>
>>3026186
>Good advices
>You

What you propose is just doodling, if you dont know what goes in mecha design you can try and doodle like a retard you are but mecha design evolved trough decades and most artist were inspired by other artists and received good advices from them and it took years to destille their ideas into what we call mecha today.

A good book will summarize decades of experience allowing you to pick up where other left and tell you things that made it into mecha canon just might not be obvious at first glance.

If not for your ADHD you would notice that most mecha designs have common elements, they have common philosophy when it comes to armour shape, detail layouts, panel shape.
Sure would be nice if someone explained to you why there are so many similarities and what is the logic and procedure behind them.
Which is what good book will do.
>>
>>3026215
How'd you learn to swim?
How'd you learn to walk?
How'd you learn to ride a bike?
How'd you learn how to read?
How'd you learn how to speak?
How'd you learn to cook?
you learnt all that by reading a book about the subject?
>>
File: 1412608677793.png (129KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1412608677793.png
129KB, 625x626px
>>3026220
>How'd you learn to swim?
Someone had to tell you that swimming is possible and what are proper techniques of swimming, unless you were into doggy style.

>How'd you learn how to speak?
Listened to other people and read books.
>How'd you learn how to read?
>you learnt all that by reading a book about the subject?
Well.., yeah...
>How'd you learn to cook?
Books with recipes, yes I read it, kinda geeky thing to do right, read a book, especially when you want your turkey go be tasty and not charcoal.
>How'd you learn to walk?
>How'd you learn to ride a bike?
How did you learn to breath?
>you learnt all that by reading a book about the subject?
Yes or someone told you how to do that, kids raised by animals if no one teach them to walk or speak wont be able to.
Are you fucking retarded or something?

>pic related
Now go fuck yourself.
>>
>>3026232
best of luck with your artistic endeavors anon, seems like you'll need it if you think everything will be solved by you reading a book.
>>
>>3026257
Enjoy you mindless drawing and repeating same mistake you dont even know you're doing.
>>
>>3026262
i already am enjoying it buddy, and why do you think i wouldnt know if anything looked wrong?
anyone who arent completely brain dead should be able to see their own mistakes without having to read a 250 page book about it
maybe you're slower than the average dude, but i dont judge, we're all different and learn at different speeds :)
>>
File: imsage.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
imsage.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>3026274
Man... you're right, schools are overrated.
>Captcha literally just now.
>>
>>3026274
>sculs are for stpd ppl
kek.

The fuck you doing here retard? You know we kinda exchanging information here, not so different from the books, I mean you read on various topics on how to get better at drawing.

Must be your first day here 9fag (reddit at least readds)
>>
>>3026274
if you can see your mistakes post your fucking work. i bet it's absolute shit.

reading gives you insight on things you wouldn't have thought of otherwise. if you think you came out of the womb with all the knowledge in the world without being TOLD and TAUGHT things by other human beings, you're a fucking dipshit.
>>
>>3023570
Id suggest looking into engineering and the shapes of standard motors and small electronic parts... James bruton (xrobots) on youtube shows in quite techincal detail the process of building animatronics for conventions and stuff, I think some of his work (without cosmetics) could be useful to help you think of the parts involved in building mechanised things
>>
>>3026700
Thanks for the hint.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.