[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Staying Motivated

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1340803202303.jpg (300KB, 580x731px) Image search: [Google]
1340803202303.jpg
300KB, 580x731px
I think there are 2 key questions to ask yourself that will keep you motived mentally and emotionally when drawing.

What is the outcome/result of improving or learning how to draw?
What is your overall goal by doing this?

The second question is, why do you want it?
What is the purpose, the underlining reason that drives you to do this?

When you're stuck or frustrated when practicing, ask yourself these questions and see what happens.

Don't be a pessimistic faggot

When you place the outcome and its purpose upfront and center in your mind. Drawing that thing you had to draw today doesn't seem that bad.
>>
Discipline > Motivation
>>
>>3023191
i'd partially agree.

But Discipline + motivation= greatness
>>
File: sd.png (420KB, 504x664px) Image search: [Google]
sd.png
420KB, 504x664px
>>3023191
But Discipline needs motivation
>>
>>3023191 + >>3023198
=
/Thread.
>>
>>3023191
kr0n
>>
>>3023171
Let me ask you something - in all of your determinism to overthink art, did it ever occur to you to have "I enjoy doing it" to the list?

The best motivation in the world is enjoying it. But that's not part of your headspace.

I'd think about that. A lot. You're doing it all wrong.

Granted, if you hang around this place, and buy into the nonsense that the try hards and posers impose on people, with unrealistic expectations and ridiculous regimes that make art drudgery and almost torture, you'd probably look at it the way you do, too.

An artist should want to draw. Be excited about the idea, and feel good just because they got to draw. You've managed to strip all of that out of it.

Do you really think you're helping people? Or hindering them with useless mindsets and expectations?
>>
>>3023198
No passion, no greatness.

Greatness is not a result of grind, it's a result of passion and inspiration AND yes, hard work. Something try hards like you purposefully overlook, or are ignorant of.
>>
>>3023191
You're right. It's an exercise, not a game.
>>
>>3023212
passion is the motivations though.

When did i say grinding results to greatness?
>>
>>3023210
A persons outcome and purpose vary. You just described your purpose for drawing.

>"i enjoy doing it"

Just because I don't have the same drive doesn't mean i'm doing it wrong. Are you saying your way is only way?

>An artist should want to draw. Be excited about the idea, and feel good just because they got to draw. You've managed to strip all of that out of it.

All your doing is explaining your mind set about drawing, which is fine. I have different goals then you. Doesn't mean I've "stripped them out"

I do think i'm helping people that struggle to find the reasons to continue or start drawing.

Do you understand people have different ways of looking at things?
>>
>>3023210

The problem is the stuff that's enjoyable to draw isn't always what's needed to learn.

I love drawing and coloring comic book headshots but doing an hour of gesture drawing is like pulling teeth
>>
>>3023202
i don't think you understand the idea of discipline
>>
>>3023202
Your motivation could be something simple, like maybe you've spent the last eight hours walking and now you need to sit down and draw
>>
>>3023191
Both require the other. There's always a reason behind everything you do, some desire you need to fulfill. People cannot just will discipline to happen or else everybody would be disciplined, yet how many actually are?

You become disciplined for some reason which can be called motivation. Whatever it is doesn't matter, only that it is sufficient to get you to act. A disciplined person just has a strong enough reason to keep going.

Where does the motivation come from though? Ask yourself. Ask other artists who have made it. Some will say that they practice for pure achievement and skill, some will say that creating art brings happiness, others will say that it gives purpose or identity, some will say that it's neither, that they make art simply because they need to, or that they're afraid of what would happen if they stopped. Everyone is moved by their own unique reasons. What works as motivation for one person may not for another.

If you don't think you have motivation or even need one to be as disciplined as you are, then just think about this. What if your artwork and skills were taken from you tomorrow. How would you feel? If you fear losing your art and skill, then that's your motivation to keep you on the grind.

The reasons can be subtle but they are there. Reasons don't have to make sense either, only that they are fueled by desire for a certain outcome. Whatever that outcome is, it's important enough to you that you continue practicing to produce it. It's the desire for outcome which can be called motivation that is the driving force behind the act of discipline.
>>
>>3023254
Why would you want to draw if you don't find it enjoyable?
>>
>>3023571
its not my main reason for drawing.
>>
>>3023191
fpbp
Everyone saying that this isn't true is just a lazyfag looking for excuses.
>>
I didn't start drawing because I liked it, nor did I ever have any sort of spectacular vision, I just wanted to know how to do it to a satisfactory level.
>>
>passion
>motivation
Artist. It's 7am. Sit down, shut the fuck up and start to draw.
>>
What do you anons do when you've lost the passion to draw?

Kinda got myself in a low here
>>
>>3027319
Walking sounds good. Man. Too bad vent art doesn't do shit
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.