[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a future in being a comic book illustrator? Give me hope /ic/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0877.jpg (1MB, 2317x2120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0877.jpg
1MB, 2317x2120px
Is there a future in being a comic book illustrator?
Give me hope /ic/
>>
Is they still exist today, there's a chance.
>>
>>3021986
just make your own comic. try to brighten somebodies day. success.

stop being a fame seeking freak fag. fame is lame.
>>
>>3021986
imo it's very hit or miss. Jobs on comic books are very scarce and the market is not very huge. My advice would be to do work on your own project and try to get a patreon going. If you are not cancer, which I find it hard to believe since you're here, that could prove to be sustainable. You could even do a kickstarted project later on if your audience is big enough.
>>
For sure.

Digitally tho, so get on working that
>>
If you're after a job working in the US mainstream, you'll spend a few years working for lower tier publishers and earning $75-150 per page (pencils and inks). You gotta market yourself well and go to cons to meet the right people and get higher up the ladder.

After that you can aim for a higher tier publisher like Marvel or DC, or do your creator-owned thing through a company like Image. There's more money in Work-For-Hire though, with creator-owned you usually only get paid in the back-end off sales, no upfront page-rates.

Saying that, it's one of the lower paying visual arts. It can be a thankless job, and you'll rarely have any job comfort because your book might be cancelled, or only be a limited miniseries to begin with.

Nobody does comics for the money. Simple as that.
>>
>>3022580
Also this is bullshit, you can draw comics whatever way you want.
>>
Very unlikely, although I feel like concept art is growing slightly with video games getting more ambitious artistically lately.
>>
>>3021986
that's nice. how did you draw this? do you have the actual thing to use as a reference?
>>
>>3021986
Not if you keep copying works from LEGO.
>>
>>3021986
Alright, I'm gonna level with you, bro.

This is shit, but not for the reasons you think.

The idea is good, the concepts aren't excecuted half bad, either, but your linework, shadows, and perspective are weak as shit.

Where the fuck is my light source coming from? Sort that shit out, mate and that's half your problem. There's a ton of useless shadow, as well, that just makes this piece convoluted as fuck. Simplify that shit, focus on calligraphying your lines to create focal points, instead.

Also about 80% of the blacked out areas could be done much better with a cel shading method. Your style will eat that shit right the fuck up.

I get that pen to paper has a certain place in your heart, I get that, but you have to evolve as an artist, and this stylization will go much better for you if you go digital. Pick up a copy of Manga studio and a cheap Monoprice tablet, and start practicing with that shit.

Your linework is a matter of cleaning shit up. Digital + smoothing will make your life easier, but if you can't afford that shit right now, CLEAN UP THOSE FUCKING LINES. Lots of points that could be finer, lots of squiggly straights, and jagged curves. Sort it out. I recommend finding a tattoo calligraphy template, and using tracing paper to trace the entire alphabet A-Z 50+ times, until you can draw that calligraphy near perfectly from memory. It. Will. Train. Your. Hand.

That's my advice, bro. I'm guessing you're younger (sorry if I'm wrong) but you've got plenty of artistic imagination, start training that mechanical skill and a steady hand, and you'll make it, in no time.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.