[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are some traditional methods of rendering? is there some

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 209.jpg (270KB, 845x996px) Image search: [Google]
209.jpg
270KB, 845x996px
what are some traditional methods of rendering? is there some sort of universal methodology prevalent throughout the different media? I've been color picking like crazy and i know trad probably had a better way of doing things..
>>
it completely depends on what medium you're using. Oil painters usually use a method called fat over lean that involves using thicker more viscous layers first, then building up towards thinner. Watercolorists use washes to create depth and light. It's all different.

Also, years and years of practice is usually required to render properly, no matter what medium you choose.
>>
>>3021752
try limited palettes , like the zorn palette.

do you mean one that translates from traditional to digital. because they are pretty different.

also who is op image i like it.
>>
>>3021773
i ask because your use of the word color picking makes me think you mean that.
>>
>>3021752
this may blow your mind but rendering isn't even the proper term
>>
>>3021817
this is true if they are in fact talking about color choice.

also i found out what op image was.
>>
>>3021752
Most artists work from a library of colors, usually 10-15 colors. Some more, some less. They mix these colors to create all of the values and hues in their paintings.

Check post number 8 in this thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268054
>>
File: Basic Palette.png (37KB, 822x68px) Image search: [Google]
Basic Palette.png
37KB, 822x68px
>>3021752
This is a palette I built off the watercolor palette I generally use. I use it to mix all my hues in a digital painting, and it works, for the most part.
>>
>>3021831
other anon, but modelling is a better term all around. rendering is some kind of entertainment industry art lingo.
>>
>>3021841
Thanks for that, that's helpful. Do you mix them using low opacity brush strokes and picking the intermediate colors? I'm assuming Photoshop, I'm pretty sure Painter has a built-in mixer
>>
>another digital pleb trying to leech knowledge from traditional master race
>>
>>3021841

Mixing colors? Are you saying that you're literally picking colors off that palette and mix them on screen as if you had a traditional palette?
>>
>>3021773
>also who is op image i like it.
Mucha
>>
>>3021752

GLAZING
L
A
Z
I
N
G
>>
>>3022275
Glazing or layering.

But most important: TALENT.
>>
>>3022239
Yes retard.
>>
>>3021770
>Oil painters usually use a method called fat over lean that involves using thicker more viscous layers first,

Uh, no. That's completely the other way around. Fat over lean means that your subsequent layers need paint with a higher precentage of oil/less solvent, otherwise the paint will crack like a motherfucker due to how the drying process of oils work. Don't just say something you have no idea about.
>>
>>3022354
>>3021841

Digital on-screen color mixing doesn't work that way, you're essentially just ending up with greys as on-screen uses an additive-averaging type of color mixing that's essentially worthless. Real life pigments mix in a much more complex way, primarily subtractively

what all this means is that you can't really mix colors onscreen. You can use the multiply blending mode on separate layers to have an idea of how the colors would mix subtractively, or use sites like http://trycolors.com to estimate the effect. But ideally, you should practice with real pigments beforehand to have an idea of how colors mix and manually pick the appropriate hues
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.