[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ipad pro 10.5 (64 gb) vs old ipad 12.9 (32 gb) for an art student?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: m0ru18c9m33z.jpg (634KB, 1367x6658px) Image search: [Google]
m0ru18c9m33z.jpg
634KB, 1367x6658px
10.5 pros:

-anti glare screen
-better pen latency
-more storage
-more processing power
-better camera (for document and traditional drawing scanning)
-brighter screen
-can draw while standing
-more privacity while drawing on public

first gen 12.9 pros:

-more comfortable for drawing on a desk or while resting the device on your legs
-less zooming so you do not develop bad habits while drawing
-split view actually usable while drawing using references

So is the big screen on the old ipad enough reason to prefer it over the new 10.5 from an artist point of view? (Both are really close in terms of price and I don't have a cintiq so this will be my main device for digital drawing. Also I don't have enough money to buy the second generation 12.9 ipad pro)
>>
Wait, using an iPad as an art student is normal now? Instead of a laptop or a notebook? that's fucking weird
>>
pen latency improvements (the 120hz display allows a faster response time for the apple pencil):

https://youtu.be/KCtHgfivRL4
>>
>>3020685

The new iPad has, predictably, better hardware. I've done some research, and the old one is already pretty fucking good, though. It depends on how much you want the bigger screen (which would make it more comfortable to draw on), honestly, and if you can find a good discount on it (maybe buy a used one?).
>>
>>3020685
If we're talking about these purely as art tablets, processing power is largely a non-issue regardless of device, apps still aren't making full use of the first gen 12.9

On an app like procreate it never becomes an issue. Paintstorm pro lags on huge sizes and complex, large brush strokes but that is equally a coding issue that improves with each update, not sure how much difference the new version does here

Pen latency was already top of the line and barely noticeable as it is. Maybe if you're doing a lot of lineart could this be a justifiable reason, but the 12.9 still outperforms other tools such as wacom tablets when it comes to latency, parallax etc

Screen estate is a make or break issue to me since it's one of the main reasons you shell out for these overpriced shitpieces instead of a smaller device.

I use split view all the time and even if I didn't, I can't honestly imagine going smaller than 12.9 which feels small enough as it is when you factor in resting your hand on the screen, having windows open, you still want to move around comfortably and not need to zoom all the fucking time. It's a luxury that's really hard to wean yourself off from once you get used to it.

Procreate is streamlined enough to compromise smaller screens, but apps like paintstorm pro need a lot of space to feel comfortable. If I had to make the decision today I would still get a 12.9 for that reason alone

You will have to get a matte screen protector regardless of device for the toothy texture, the main problem outdoors is brightness, on a sunny day you need to find some shade or its impossible to work, the new pieces are better here (not sure by how much?)

There are some differences if you really get down to brass tacks, such as the color output being better on the newer devices, but it's a tough sell sacrificing the screen size.

If you have the opportunity to try these devices out and compare you really should do so.
>>
>>3022925

about the anti glare screen: https://youtu.be/R9It6_9RMT8
>>
>>3023749

That's a useful comparison but matte screen protectors are designed to minimize this issue as well, and are a must unless you like the feel feeling of drawing on glass. Again the main issue outdoors is brightness, not glare.

The new versions have 600 nits which is about a 30% increase in max brightness from the 400 of the first gen. I don't think it's enough to make it viable as an art tool in bright outdoors conditions, and brightness isn't really a problem elsewhere, but more is always better

There's a benchmark comparison for more details here : https://www.macobserver.com/analysis/benchmarking-ipad-pro-12-9-inch-2015-vs-2017/

The multicore performance is the main difference which is nearly doubled. We'll have to wait and see how IOS 11 turns out to see whether it makes a big difference
>>
I think the old 12.9 has a worse screen than the 9.5 iirc. Less color gamut.
>>
>>3020685
I wouldn't get one just because of the all the faulty and expensive chargers that if they work at all will break in two weeks.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.