[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk paper

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: paper.jpg (9KB, 355x337px) Image search: [Google]
paper.jpg
9KB, 355x337px
I wanna know on a technical level what is the best type and weight of paper for penciling or inking and what paper you guys use.

I've used 80 and 100 grams with paper from a local producer and Leuchtturm1917 with Staedler pigment liners. It's nice, but would it be no difference if I swap to print paper?

> inb4 /beg/
> inb4 go digital, faggot.
>>
>>3019281
What are you inking with? If you are just using ballpoint pens and pencil then printer paper is fine.
>>
>>3019297
Staedler pigment liners 4+2 (0,05 - 0.8) kit and Marvy Uchida pigment brush.
>>
>>3019300
Felt tip markers need a heavier paper, you are going to want 130-120 (80lb) gsm paper. Are you concerned about ghosting and bleed through on the paper? Because certain do papers perform differently.
>>
>>3019302
Mostly bleeds.
>>
>>3019303
bleeds are a different thing than ink bleeding through the paper.

anyway the answer is bristol board
>>
File: 1497030159936.jpg (101KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1497030159936.jpg
101KB, 1500x1500px
>>3019307
Thank you, anon!
Do you got any other advices?
>>
File: bristol500.jpg (55KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
bristol500.jpg
55KB, 500x323px
>>3019313
Not that anon, but the bristol board I currently use for drawing comics is this Strathmore Sequential 500 Series, Semi-Smooth. It's by far THE best paper I've ever used. I ink with sable brush and fineliners, and it holds it just beautifully. Zero bleed, just the right amount of grit and a satisfying off-white colour.

It's expensive and hard to acquire, but when you see the marks you get out of it money will stop being any consideration. It's the next best thing you'll get to comic publishers' own boards
>>
Heavyweight smooth paper like bristol board is the best for pen drawings no question about it.
>>
>>3019281
Work with gouache & watercolors. I will always work with 450 g/m2 paper. Thinner paper is bullshit.
>>
File: image.jpg (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 1024x768px
>>3019491
You would avoid this product for example?
>>
Hey what's a good type of paper for animation?
>>
>>3019491

Do you use thinner paper for sketches?
>>
>>3019535
300g Paper is ok, but with 450 you are save from buckling. I think with 300 g you have still to stretch the paper

>>3020064
For sketching with pencil and watercolor pencil or watercolors you can use 200 - 300g paper
>>
Bristol paper
Brush
Indian black ink
>>
For smoother paper on the cheaper side, Hammermill "Color Copy Digital Cover" 100lb is pretty alright. Acid-free, and usually sold 250 sheets per ream. 8.5" x 11" is currently $18 on Amazon (w/Prime shipping), but it might be a sale price; saw it a couple of months ago for $25.

Not what OP is asking for with this one, but lemme blog about my better paper story pham.
>tfw at the start of 2017, got a total 50 (fifty) 22" x 30" sheets of legit Arches 300gsm cold press for under $150 USD, spread out over a few months
>Vendor got wisened up and recently bumped the price up to something more "typical" for the brand
The listing was originally set around 27 bux for ten sheets, and now it's priced at $85 for the same amount of paper.
>>
Saw an anon in another thread recommend laser cover stock for marker work.

Can anyone else attest to that?
>>
>>3020464
Feathering is the most common issue witnessed. I've heard from others that absorbency also might be an issue tied into needing to be mindful with marker ink.

From experience, Accent Opaque smooth cover white 120lb feathers quite a bit though compared to the Hammermill paper mentioned earlier. Both ain't got shit on Bee heavyweight marker paper 110lb, although, that is specifically made to avoid bleeding & feathering so yeah. On the flip side, both of those cover papers have done better than Blick Studio smooth bristol 100lb. As far as bleeding goes, all have had some alcohol marker ink bleed to the other side of the sheet used. If one is applying super thick layers, then it'll start to touch potential sheets underneath.

It's all nice paper for practice or fuckin' around though.
>>
>>3019281
You're talking about stationary paper, that's meant for business/personal use with pen, typewriter or laser printer. It's not archival, so it's useless for anything other than rough drafts and lessons.

Printer paper (Laser) is extremely cheap paper, usually recycled, that is full of acid and bleach, that will break down quickly over time, and yellow. Again, good for lessons and rough drafts, but it's not archival and not good enough for serious work.

Art papers exist for a reason, and most of it is materials and finish. If you want a smooth, laser printer paper surface, you should be using bristol. If you want a rougher finish, you should use art papers, like Strathmore 400 - it's heavier, and will take more ink/lead and will take more abuse like erasing.
>>
>>3019385
Well, considering that's what it's made for, yeah. Its also excellent for light, detailed watercolors without large washes, and guache.
>>
>>3019321
Bristol is hard to acquire? I've never had problems getting it - unless you're talking about hobby stores like Michaels, who rarely have anything beyond student grade stuff (and are horribly overpriced.)

I don't think it's THAT expensive, either - a 9x12 15 sheet 400 series pad is $7 on Blick.com, or $.50 a sheet. A 9x12 Strathmore 400 series drawing pad at 24 sheets is $4, or around $.25 .a sheet.
It's not like it's watercolor paper, which can get pretty expensive.
Granted, you're not going to do lessons or roughs on bristol. $.50 a sheet for archival quality that will last a long, long, long time is a pretty good deal. You have to put cost into perspective - if you can't scrape $7 for paper together, maybe you should be working on your income, instead of buying art supplies.
>>
>>3019535
I've never used Derwent, and I know nothing about their reputation, I use Arches watercolor paper, but it's what I like. I'd have to see it in person before I bought it, to see the texture and feel of the paper. Watercolor paper is a personal preference, you have to find the brand you like.
>>
>>3020464
Nope. Markers will bleed through laser paper, you want heavier paper like bristol for that, or illustration board.
>>
>>3019281
NEVER USE REGULAR PRINTER PAPER FOR ACTUAL ART PIECES WITH INK OR COLOR

Use it for pencil only.

Stick with 2 ply pristol board or use gloss paper for ink, looks really nice when you finish.

Also use a smooth surface for black and white work, and a surface with some tooth if you want to color (I use water colors and color pencils)
>>
whats the best sort for a3 black and white ink? im getting into doujin drawing
>>
>>3021360
https://www.amazon.com/Strathmore-Bristol-Smooth-Paper-Sheets/dp/B0027AEO7Q
>>
>>3020913
>>3020928
OP here.
Thank you for your insights.
>>
>>3020928
i think it's usually fine actually, as long as it's acid free, not like when printer paper went yellow in a week.

i did a pretty good little drawing of a statue of rodin on printer paper a few years ago and the paper has changed less that the paint
>>
>>3020926

What if I don't care about bleed through?
>>
Bristol board is by far the best for illustrations with ink. I use pencils on it too but for most of my finished drawings I use a 130 gram (or 80lbs) sheet of drawing paper by Strathmore. Bristol board is a bit heavier cardstock but I prefer the drawing paper because its got more tooth too it and i can build values up with pencil better on it than the smoother surface of the Bristol Board.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.