[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do moleskines make for good sketchbooks?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7324.jpg (160KB, 783x1100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7324.jpg
160KB, 783x1100px
Do moleskines make for good sketchbooks?
>>
>>3017419
Well that kind of depends on the paper and amount of it, the moleskin itself does not matter.

Looks neat though, better than some tacky t-shirt design or charcoal sketch you see on most.
>>
>>3017424
I've heard the pages aren't as thick as they used to be. They still have that off-white cream tinge to them though.
>>
>>3017419
Not for a very long time imho. Original moleskins were inexpensive. Now its for people trying to broadcast an image kinda like writing with a quill, playing an acoustic guitar in or near a coffeeshop, or wearing a fedora. There are better options and alternatives out there nowadays.
>>
>>3017419
They're expensive hipster shit. The paper is trash for everything that isn't pencil or ballpoint.

IMO the best solution is to make your own sketchbooks, perfect bound is super easy to do flawlessly. Or get a filofax organizer and a 6 hole punch and put your paper in there.
>>
File: PicsArt_06-05-02.55.29.jpg (23KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_06-05-02.55.29.jpg
23KB, 355x355px
>>3017419
Literally any surface is fine, you're missing the point.
>>
>>3017511
i have been drawing for 10 years, and if someone gave me the choice between drawing in cow dung and a moleskine i would pick the moleskine.

it does matter and it does make a difference, saying the opposite is just some feel good Tumblr shit.
>all papers good, its j-just h-how you u-use it

fine, all cars are good, but im picking the ferrari and you can have the toyota and lets see who finishes first.
>>
I like smoothness pf the paper. Good for hatching. Similar paper is hard to find in sketchbooks, usually it's very grainy or toothy and that's a pretty big irk of mine when sketching.
>>
>>3017558
The question is, is a moleskine sketchbook actually the ferrari of sketchbooks or is it just a well-marketed regular sketchbook? I don't buy moleskine, because it doesn't work for me, because I like wire-bound sketchbooks when outside and for at home the sketchbooks don't lay flat enough. Moleskine's good, for certain applications. It's not a ferrari, it's just a good sketchbook. A ferrari would be more like using an x47 notebook to sketch in, I think
>>
>>3017566
no you stupid fuck

The paper sucks, and the book itself is poorly bound.

the best sketchbooks are hand made ones with hand picked paper.

Moleskin is for rookies and hobbyists.
>>
It makes for a good dust collector
>>
>>3017586
>look mom! I'm anonymous on the internet!
>>
>>3017606
>Have you finished sucking your fathers dick, Billy?
>>
>>3017502
>The paper is trash for everything that isn't pencil or ballpoint.
nvm they come with different paper kinds.

I bought a moleskine knock-off a few years ago. for about maybe 20 % cheaper pricetag it had shitter paper and binding fell apart in less than of month of irregular outdoor sketching.

I purchase a new moleskine once a year on average, all my old ones are still intact. won't buy any other pocket sketchbook, unless they have some really sweet specialty paper inside.
>>
I don't like them, but it's more of a psychological thing than it has to do with the quality of the paper etc. I just don't feel comfortable drawing in a fancy sketchbook because it feels like a single bad drawing can ruin the whole book. In the back of my head I always think about those fancy moleskin sketchbook people show on youtube etc. with super polished drawings. I just can't get over it, and I'm a full time artist. I prefer cheap spiral or cloth bound flimsy sketchbooks that I can roughen up a bit.
>>
>>3017709
Moleskines work better as artbooks or commission sketchbooks
>>
>>3017709
I have no fucking idea how these people can make an entire sketchbook without a single awful drawing
>>
>>3017709
>>3017711
>>3017734

>I've been practicing this one fucking figure study all day long on shitty printer paper, time to bring out my Moleskineā„¢. My tumblr fans will love that!
>>
>>3017749
This.

Stop giving a fuck and just draw. Value the paper you are using more than the aesthetics of your sketchbook. The only issue I have with moleskines is that it shit for watercolours since the one i have the paper is a bit waxy/hard pressed.
>>
>>3017709
Moleskines are really not that expensive in the end. It's just a little more expensive than the average sketchbook. The materials used in it are not expensive either. It's just a cardboard cover with maybe some inexpensive material thrown on top to make it feel a bit better.
>>
I hate sketchbooks that don't have a spiral binding, so moleskins are a no go for me.
>>
they're fine but overpriced, you can get some higher quality loose leaf and just user binder clips for 6x the cost/price ratio

if you're practicing then get whatever is cheap and appropriate for the medium you're working in
>>
>>3017419
yeah they're pretty good, for the thinness of the paper they take a lot of ink or water, pencil looks good on it because of the smooth texture and if you want to use a bit of white for highlights the paper is usually dark enough for them to show up.

(plus you are allowed to buy something just because it's fashionable)
>>
>>3017783
If you like the paper you should look into tomoe river paper
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.