[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thinking your art is better than it actually is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1103.png (860KB, 1829x1644px) Image search: [Google]
1103.png
860KB, 1829x1644px
how do I avoid constantly perceiving my art as being better than it actually is? I often don't realize how bad or weird something is until I improve significantly and its holding me back
>>
>>3017016
Save your old art so you can laugh at how terrible it is and track your improvement.
>>
>>3017019
this
>>
>>3017016
it's natural, I guess. Be humble, be receptive to critique and flip the canvas
>>
>>3017016
Flipping the canvas horizontally really opens my eyes how weird my shit looks.
>>
>>3017016
Show your art to someone who hates you, or at least has no reason to lie to you.
>>
>>3017016

It's better to have too much confidence than too little. Pursue your vision always, with time they will crystalize better on paper.
>>
>>3017025
best answer
>>
>>3017016

If you're content with your work that means you can't see the flaws. Just catch yourself every time you're satisfied with the work. Seeing flaws means improvement.
>>
>>3017016
Flip canvas every now and then, revisit your piece the next day, if it's still fine then post it
>>
>>3017016
never settling
keep learning new things every day
>>
>>3017069
>>3017025
Stare at any image long enough and it'll look jarring when mirrored. This is why so many people are weirded out by seeing themselves in photographs -- they're used to seeing their image in a mirror, and when un-mirrored it looks strange.
Sometimes it'll draw attention to a flaw that you've stopped seeing, but just because it looks weird doesn't always mean something's wrong. I find that if I mirror an image and stare at it long enough, it looks fine again. It can help, but don't get too carried away.
>>
>>3017068
I see flaws all the time in my work. Every piece. Every minute that im painting or drawing im sad about how not good it looks, and i become anxious. And i just wanna to finish it quickly to end my suffering. So, be able to see the flaws all the time is not so good to you. I have improve a lot in one year, but i never get happy by my work. And this is depressing. Its like see a mountain all the time and have no legs to climb. It is only sadness. 1 year. People who dont wanna do this for living and are able to at least produce something roughly, are the true happy people in art. If u want to, U cant be happy all the time to ur work, but maybe u ll fail into the void of depression and sadness with your mediocre shit horrible disgusting work
>>
>>3017016
i'm actually the opposite of you...i can only see my art as shit and i have no motivation to actually practice and improve ):
>>
I just repeat the mantra
>"You're never as bad as you think you're. You're never as good as you think you're. "
>>
>>3017051
This. I wish I thought my art was better than it actually is
>>
>>3017016
Post your art on /ic/, you'll understand.
>>
>>3017209
Same here. Every piece I do looks like trash to me. I feel like I can't trust my judgement at all, and I might even be seeing faults where there are none. This might actually be holding me back more than an inflated ego ever would.
>>
>>3017506
U need somehow a validation of ur work by anyone. I have created a instagram account and spamming the shit out of it and receive 500 followers by far, real people. Even though i know their standards are low, the likes help me a little keeping posting and this motivates me grinding somehow and not trying to be so harsh about ur own thing. U just cant trust only in ur self about what u do, its to risk. Or show ur work to some normie, they ll be impress. We have to accept that, our ego, and work towards it too. Its romantic the idea of creating just for ourselfs, but its simple a meme.
>>
>>3017532
True. I won't progress any just sitting in self-doubt. I'll think about making an instagram or something too; likes and follows will probably encourage me.
Thanks, anon. I hope you can keep gaining more confidence in your art as well.
>>
>>3017025
My shit's always fucking slanted I don't get why.

Here's a trick I used in art school for those of you who don't work digitally: Take a picture of it. Sometimes even just looking at the piece through the camera can help you see mistakes.
>>
>>3017591
You can put it in front of a mirror too

Flipping is so helpful.
>>
>>3017016
Keep posting your art on /ic/
>>
There is no bad art or good art. Only bad audiences.

You should work on becoming a better audience, and the art fixes itself.
>>
>>3017532
How do you get that many followers? I can't go above 30 yet people with absolutely awful stuff have over 500 easy
>>
>>3017991
Go to #drawing or #illustration and comment a compliment in every new post, targeting the drawings with low skill. Do this with moderation though or instagram block you to do that. When you are spamming i recommend to spam with 2 types of compliment like very cute, or lovely. Do this not very quickly too, take a time to look some artworks u may like in beetwen the spamming section. If u have luck you in gain 5-10 real followers a day doing that. But i really hope that when i reach 1k instagtam algoriths will help me a little bc this is a pain in the ass
>>
>>3018577
You realize you could spend that time learning how to draw instead right?
>>
>>3018577
>u
>bc

christ summer...
>>
>>3018579
I know. But i will not wait till my work to be flawless to do that. I guess It is fine if u do in the time u rest or moments before u sleep
>>
>>3018582
Sorry, im not american so i do not know what slangs or abreviations are cringe in these days.
>>
>>3017025
Or if you work traditionally, place it in front of a mirror
>>
File: C4SRJFtWAAARSlq.jpg (61KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
C4SRJFtWAAARSlq.jpg
61KB, 640x468px
>>3017016
Ask for C&C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU
>>
File: Dunning Kruger Chart.jpg (22KB, 639x470px) Image search: [Google]
Dunning Kruger Chart.jpg
22KB, 639x470px
>>
>>3018626
This bullshit meme has become a graph now?
Christ. Let it die. None of you are psychologists.
>>
>>3018626
How can you tell the difference between the first peak and the second? Hint: You can't.

/ic/ has abused this meme.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.