[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do people like Rebecca Sugar and Natasha Allegri come up

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Pearl_2.png (169KB, 700x315px) Image search: [Google]
Pearl_2.png
169KB, 700x315px
How do people like Rebecca Sugar and Natasha Allegri come up with cool concepts?

Just wondering, how people come up with amazing new ideas. I spent about 6 months learning fundamentals, but I can only copy from references and my ideas are crappy.

For example, been watching Steven Universe and characters are amazing, the concepts are amazing. How do you even come up with stuff like that you would need to be a genius?

Yet I think to draw something and nothing comes out. Mostly, been doing drawabox stuff. Trying to get serious, not sure how people study to come up with really good ideas.
>>
Honestly can't tell if this is bait or not.
Good Job OP!
>>
>>3015866
everything is a compilation of already established ideas
dragons are partly from lizards
angels are partly from birds
lord of the rings is partly from various mythos

part of steven universe comes from sailor moon. I too admire Sugar's creative abilities, but it isn't godly and certainly not unattainable.
>>
>>3015866
Be a Jew and marry a nigger.
>>
>>3015866
She outsourced, had a bunch of interns do a lot of designs and sort of mixed and match what you see today.
>>
>>3015866
bruh she sucks
alot of her art style is borrowed from well known anime artiest or directors ie Hayo Miyazaki or that nigga from revolutionary girl ultina, It really doesnt matter how she draws characters if she sucks at writing good characters
I mean Jesus look at Steven who do you know acts like Steven or even thinks like Steven and the whole faggot appreciation the show promotes is garbage, you can promote gay people without making them seen like token characters because MUH DIVERSITY can you tell me what garnet or pearl are besides being gay, no you cant
>>
>>3016074

Garnet is a badass, cool collected kind of character and often mysterious. She doesn't usually speak up unless she has something important to say.

Pearl is a worrywort and a motherly/nurturing type.

damn that was easy
>>
>>3015866
Don't expect much from this thread, 4chan goes into fits when you mention Steven (((Universe))) outside of the designated /co/ or /trash/ containment thread.

To answer your question, it's easy. I'll use Sugar for reference.

Just take your life experiences (spending summers on the beach taking care of your qt little brother), add bits and pieces of works that have influenced you over the years (washed out 80's Jen and the Holograms esque aesthetics, 90's magical girl/shonen anime), about a topic you don't see often in the works you consume (positive relationships, diverse representation, deeper looks on societal forces and their impact on the individual).

At first these ideas are hobbled together Frankenstein's Monsters, but as you become more familiar with your work the design elements will blend together and simplify themselves, translating through the personal style you've cultivated (of course, after actually giting gud with art) until you have your finished product.

So start by analyzing what works you like, and what about those designs works well. Try mixing and matching design elements together, or tweaking some.
>>
>>3015866
Talent OP. Talent.
>>
>>3015866
To be inspired you have to experience new things and consume new media.
Seriously OP, consume new media.
>>
Here is a good interview from the Persona character designer.
http://personacentral.com/atlus-character-designer-shigenori-soejima-interview-pixivision-workplace-process/

I think good character design does come from what you personally like, and what your inspired by. If you sit down with the intention of trying to create an original character, you won't be happy with the result. Just draw what you want, and don't be afraid to pull from other sources. Then you'll naturally do something that says, "you".
>>
>>3016372
>>3015866
CONSUME EEEEET
>>
>>3016097

>Garnet is a fucking cliche
>Pearl too

FTFY
>>
File: 7tA0Ume_d.jpg (25KB, 640x361px) Image search: [Google]
7tA0Ume_d.jpg
25KB, 640x361px
Rip off some of the greatest anime of all time and show it to an audience that has no idea what you're referencing.
>>
>>3015866
>I spent about 6 months learning fundamentals, but I can only copy from references and my ideas are crappy.

You're supposed to learn in such a way that you can use the fundamentals from memory
>>
>>3016677
Even if I hate this dumblr shit, I'm pretty sure that this is a reference with the Tang on the beach and all.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.