[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

art school

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_2382.jpg (676KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2382.jpg
676KB, 2400x2400px
Do any of you go to art school, or have any of you gone to art school?
If so, what have been the pros and cons?

I've been thinking about transferring from a fairly small and academically rigorous liberal arts to an art school to study fine art (drawing or painting).
I've been looking at RISD, Parsons, Pratt, and Cooper Union. What are some others I should consider?

One of my worries is that I won't be able to take enough English classes (which is also a passion of mine), but I know that there is a liberal arts requirement in most art schools. And something that is drawing me to RISD is the fact that I can take classes at Brown.
>>
I go to MICA, and had similar interests to you. One of the draws to the school was that I could also take classes at hopkins.

This is all coming from a painting major, so I'm more interested in the fine art side of art school than the commercial majors like I assume most of /ic/ is, so take that into account.

The primary disadvantage of art school is the cost. It is an expensive endeavor, but I was able to get several scholarships that lowered the costs to almost nothing. If you have to go into significant amounts of debt to go to art school, it almost certainly isn't worth it.

That said, the advantages of art school to me outweigh the disadvantages. The instruction I've received has developed my work to a degree that just flat out wouldn't have happened had I not gone. Technical aspects of art can be learned independently to a certain degree, but it's tremendously hard to develop conceptual ideas, and to develop the vocabulary to talk about art without being immersed in the art world (of course, one on one instruction with talented professors helps technical ability a ton as well).

Additionally, the connections made in art school are what helps to launch people into the industries they're interested in. This is obviously a lot more relevant for commercial fields like graphic design or illustration, but many art schools also help fine artists develop proposals for shows, or host juried exhibitions which students can apply to. Many art schools also have networks of galleries which essentially scout students work out to represent them soon after graduation. I myself have been lucky to sell work straight off my studio wall because of this.

Lastly, what you get out of art school really is what you put into it. I've seen work on /ic/ that's absolutely leagues above some senior level illustration thesis work, and I've seen freshmen with no real formal art training come in, grind out drawings and studies, and come out significantly better than when they started.
>>
>>3015794
The last thing I'll say is that you should definitely visit the school (be it RISD, Parsons, Pratt, etc) and take a tour, talk with faculty, sit in on a class, that sort of things. That will give you a much better idea of what to expect, and whether or not it's the right fit for you. I know most of /ic/ shits on art school because of its cost and the horror stories people tell about their experience with art school, but to a certain degree, you just have to check it out in person to get an idea if it's a good fit for you.

Good luck!
>>
You will only get scholarships if you are a POC. This is a fact.
>>
check out the arc approved atelier list, for about 5-10 grand a year you can learn to draw and pant much better than at most art schools. there are some really good accredited programs too though, like LAAFA and Pasadena art center.
>>
>>3016140
I'm suspicious, but I'll look into em
>>
>>3015861
total bullshit.
>>
>>3015745
(Soryy bad english)
I went to TOA, its in malaysia. They also have a branch in Taiwan or was in somewhere else in China?. Anyway.
From my experiece with TOA(The one academy)
1.You get a proper syllabus vs studying alone. Meaning if you were to self study, you may not know what to do or what to study first.
2.You get Immediate critque from instructors.You wont even get proper critque from online(trolls)
3.Also you may study useless subjects in school. I had to study portrait painting in goache before i can move on to portrait painting in digital.They say , you cant do digital painting if you dont know traditional medium. IMO this is bullshit.
and the main disadvantage is the cost.its cheaper to go to schoolism. They also give assignment and crique there.
>>
>>3015745
>RISD
>Cooper Union

The stark contrasts between the schools you mentioned made me laugh out loud. Take five minutes to look up the student's work you fucking idiot. Frankly you go to either of those schools you're fucked, but if you go to Pooper Union you're double fucked.
>>
>>3015794
Anon how can one work on developing conceptual ideas on his own? help us pls
>>
>>3018686
Read a lot of interviews with artists that you admire, ask yourself questions, practice writing artist statements, go to openings, mingle with people. Surround yourself with great artists
>>
>>3019596
Thanks for replying anon, well I'm in a shithole country with no art scene so I'm on my own, So what kind of concepts exactly should I work on developing and what kind of questions to ask? also are there any resources on process and concepts that you can recommend?
>>
It's as good as you make it. I've seen some 4th year CalArts kids whose skills have plateaued since their first year, and I've seen some first years who are better than 4th years and keep getting better.

If you can't get scholarships just settle for something else, the money these art fucks will sap out of you is insane.
>>
>>3015745

RISD is good, my bro went there. They have connection with Brown University, as you know, if you want to up your academic side of your education. I plan on going to Savannah College of Art & Design or RISD in the future.

You can also take the required GED classes at the community college so you won't have to waste your tuition paying for English 101.
>>
File: 1490412251442.png (93KB, 241x252px) Image search: [Google]
1490412251442.png
93KB, 241x252px
anyone here go to SCAD atlanta?

im also looking for a cheap art school thats good for art but also good for film.
>>
>>3015861
Sad but true
>>
>>3020945
I wish, but theres no way my family could afford it, how are you affording it?
>>
Freshman year at UArts in Philly was almost a decade ago. I went in as some fat hayseed who didn't know shit about true progressive politics, nor did I have any familiarity with East Coast culture. My first year was the best academic year I ever had, but it only went downhill from there. I enjoyed some of my classes, but I never did my homework and was always looking to get high. I guess I was pretty depressed in that environment. I felt lonely most of the time, and my "friends" were mostly users, and I felt like my presence was only tolerated at best. I wasn't ready to live on my own at 18 in the middle of a big city with no contacts and no family. All the oppressive concrete got to my head. I joined the wrong program and made the wrong friends. I just gave up after a while, but really I think I dropped out just to piss off my dad, who paid for the whole thing out of his own pocket at great expense. What a fucking waste of time and money. I learned some useful things about the world, namely that yankees do not embrace altruism and only do nice things because they expect you to do them a favor in return. You will cook for yourself and one of your roommates, but fuck those other guys. It was so weird to see someone light up a bowl in front of me and not even offer it. Not that I expect everyone to share their weed with me, but because that was the polite and proper thing to do, because a good person shares their good times with those in their presence.

It fucking sucked. I wish I could go back in time and give my teenage self some good advice: you are married to your art. That is what you ought to devote your time and effort to, above everything else. That is your god, it is your government, and it is your girlfriend. Your job is to impress your teachers so they give you good recommendations down the line. Don't touch a single fucking cigarette, no matter how often you get peer pressured into doing it. Weed is not your friend.
>>
Also, is going to an art school worth it? I dont want to go to college and find out I cant get a job afterwards. I wouldent be able to go to a high end art college like scad due to money problems. Or should I go into a field I feel like I could do and know id be able to get a job with afterwards, like computer engineering (we live beside one of the best computer engineering colleges in the United States, i could get in there for cheap). If i did end up going to an art college, what field of art has the most demand?
>>
>>3021293
Only for the very few. If you study a field you're "settling for" only because it's more likely to get you a paying job then you're fucked. If your heart isn't into it then you're wasting your time.
>>
>>3021298
So I should try to go to an art school even if everyone says I wont be able to find a job?
>>
>>3021264
im really not, lol. this is my last year there
>>
>>3021389
Well was it worth it?
>>
>>3021398
no, not for me, i dont really like how it works and the food is very bland and the classes are very bland. and also because its an art college with sports it felt a little like highschool.

you might like it idk, but that was my expierience
>>
File: ARB.jpg (4MB, 3262x4982px) Image search: [Google]
ARB.jpg
4MB, 3262x4982px
>>
File: Tom Bancroft.jpg (373KB, 2149x702px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Bancroft.jpg
373KB, 2149x702px
>>
File: Bahi JD.gif (4MB, 749x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Bahi JD.gif
4MB, 749x1050px
>>
File: ASK.jpg (4MB, 1752x6197px) Image search: [Google]
ASK.jpg
4MB, 1752x6197px
>>
Anyone have any insight on Ringling's illustration program?
>>
>>3015794
>>3015801
4chan is not your blog. How the fuck does it take to posts to say "it m8 b gud"? One thing they obviously did NOT teach is concise communication.
>>
>>3024207
and it's not yours either to tell people how they should write here, and the guy is actually providing useful and insightful info from actual experience there instead of shitting in the thread like you
>>
>>3021287
Shit man,

I am not OP but I applied to a lot of different art schools a little while ago. One of which was UArts. I got a 24k a year scholarship, but turned it down for what I believe is a better connected school (Ringling.) I aim to work my ass off with art as my priority goal in the fall, but am not closed off to switching schools depending on what I feel about the situation. I really like UArts though. they really wanted me to attend.
>>
>>3024240
lurk moar
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.