[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips on Motivation?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 9f9.png (1MB, 1065x902px) Image search: [Google]
9f9.png
1MB, 1065x902px
>Finally has the balls to start drawing for the day after procrastinating for the past 3 hours.
>Trying to somewhat warm up. Referencing off an ink sketch on art person I like on pencil.
>Not getting into it. Messing up.
>Losing confidence, getting frustrated.
>Gives up and plays video games for rest of night.
>Cycle continues next day.

tl;dr - Any tips on getting motivation or enthusiastic about referencing?
I would love to spend 6 hours a day just practicing or just sketching for the hell of it and stop being a little bitch, but I keep on getting distracted or frustrated.
>>
>>3015566
No, you think you would love it. That's bullshit idealization. It's not easy and fun as you think it really is.
>>
>>3015566
Motivation is useless unless there's a very important reason for you to get motivated at all. Get your lazy ass together and force yourself to draw for a certain amount of time every day.
Same thing goes for working out btw.
If you can't manage to keep up you're simply not fit for this hobby since you're lacking interest in the first place.
>>
>>3015566
Try it once, fail, give up, and then question why you even tried it in the first place, like a normal person.
>>
>>3015566
Your approach is the problem.
When you find the right approach, it will capture you, and the hours will disappear without you even realizing it.
Try different approaches until something captures you.
Don't force it. You will hate it and inevitably give up if you do.
Dig up different artbooks / video tutorials until the style of one of them strikes a chord with you.
Don't feel horrible about putting it down and gaming.
>>3015570
> It's not easy and fun as you think it really is.
Yes it is, and it should be.
If it's not, you're just running out the NGMI clock.
>>
Not too I understand what's stopping you from drawing. If you're lacking confidence, that's a terrible reason, since you don't have to show your work to anyone. If you're frustrated that you can't do something, practice that thing constantly until you're good at it. Maybe you're overzealous and trying to draw something that requires a higher level of skill, in which you should just practice. The great thing about drawing is that when you draw something you love it doesn't even feel like practice. Try to draw something awesome, and draw it over and over again until you have something you're satisfied with.
>>
Huh. I sort of always had this idea on if you're not enjoying practicing, you wouldn't progress as well or not at all. But I guess that sort of makes sense in the context of practice. I guess I was just being naive then.
>>
I mean you should still try to enjoy your practice if you want to be to practice consistently without hating your life. But no, while enjoyment helps, it is not necessary when trying to get good at something
>>
>>3015581
>If you're lacking confidence, that's a terrible reason, since you don't have to show your work to anyone.

Not the OP, but I still get discouraged when looking at my own bad art. I know I shouldn't be, but I can't help that feeling.
>>
>>3015566
>>3008998
QTDDTOT
>>
>>3015566
You just have to force yourself to draw. There is no other way. Once you finish something, then you'll finish another piece, and another, etc. I'm mostly a writer, and I always see many people never finish their first book. They either quit, or they keep rewriting it, trying to make it better. But once people actually finish that first book, it suddenly becomes easier to write the next one, and so on. But you have to force yourself to get past the hurdles.

Why not try to draw in sprints. Put on a timer, and for 30 minutes, all you do is draw. Then take a break, go do something else. Then try drawing again for another 30 minutes if you can. You can do it in silence, but I personally like to listen to music, or ambient sound like rain (http://rainymood.com/), Sometimes I listen to both at the same time. I know there was a thread about people arguing against it, but I do what I want.
>>
>>3015566
uninstall steam

this is not an ironic post
>>
>>3015636
>Ok
PSYCH
I have Origin, Uplay, and G4W.
>>
Nice nice nice. I really appreciate the replies so far. I'm going to see if I can get working on gaining some discipline in the near future. "Biting the bullet" and actually finishing stuff and consistently working.
>>
Give away/sell all your accounts. Worked for me. Never been more productive
>>
>>3015566
Start a project on something you really like. If you shit out mindless Loomis for the heck of it it's going to burn you out really badly.

E.g. make a series on knights: you'll have to learn how to draw and render shiny armor, swords in perspective, research will be more interesting, and so on.

You don't want to have comprehensive, encyclopedic knowledge of drawing as your primary goal. That's going to build up over time. You only need to practice what you need for your projects.
>>
>>3015566

http://jamesclear.com/motivation

This page helped me a lot.

tl;dr

>How do you get motivated to lose 20 pound, build a house or finish a drawing?

"Motivation is often the result of action, not the cause of it. Getting started, even in very small ways, is a form of active inspiration that naturally produces momentum".

tl;dr: Start with small wins, fag.

"[...]'A lot of people never get around to writing because they are always wondering when they are going to write next.' You could say the same thing about working out, starting a business, creating art, and building most habits."

"Setting a schedule for yourself seems simple, but it puts your decision-making on autopilot by giving your goals a time and a place to live. It makes it more likely that you will follow through regardless of your motivation levels."

tl;dr: Schedule when and where you will draw. Daily.

You will lose focus, but just remember: Don't say "I'll focus". Instead say "I'll focus on this small thing".

Ask yourself these questions:

>Do I have a single objective?
Name it.

>Do I have a small task to start with?
Define the first step.

>Am I commited to it.
Stop lurking. FOCUS, nigger. FOCUS.

If you do it consistently, it will be easier.
>>
>>3015566
Your problem isnt a lack of confidence, it's that you have too much self worth for no goddamn reason. you think you are too good to suffer for your goals. You arent worth shit. Only your goals have value. when you achive them, then you get to experience confidence, for 3.8 seconds. then back to garbage again and the worth transfers to your next goal.
>>
>>3015566
Listen to Tim Pychyl.

Get a time log like this >>3007420

Read the book "Deep Work"

Tim Ferris' take on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a9GTtTUsIc

My take on it:
Everyone procrastinates, forgiving yourself is important. You can't have a "fresh" start if you're still beating yourself up for yesterday.
>>
File: BM_FYadAmLt.jpg (34KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
BM_FYadAmLt.jpg
34KB, 320x320px
>>3015566

Frankly, you might think you'd enjoy drawing...but you probably won't.

Thank god for Marijuana.
>>
nosebro will succ anyone for a pretty penny
If thats not motivation idk what is
>>
>>3015566
i think variety helps a lot
like if you only draw girls you'll plateau at girl drawing, but if you switch over to still lives or scenery or whatever you'll find that there's still progress to be made there, and when you go back to girls you'll find that you have new ideas about that and you're likely to get off that plateau or at least have new ideas to try
>>
>>3016667
>It's a motivational salesman episode
>>
>>3016667
Never listen to people who have e-books and podcasts for sale hidden on a landing page where they entice you to sign-up for their newsletter to shill you their products.
>>
File: 1475696713619.png (74KB, 300x274px) Image search: [Google]
1475696713619.png
74KB, 300x274px
>>3016877
The problem with this is that art isn't a to-do list.

Unless you're doing mere photocopies, art is always experimental. You never know what you're going to get. You have to tinker and edit.

It's like telling a scientist: "Please produce the cure for cancer in 6 months" and then telling him that he should be ashamed for not being productive. We don't know what we don't know.

You can't tell a great writer to produce a masterpiece very week. That's not how creativity works. You have to stop and think about what you're doing and why.

We have to keep experimenting, and in terms of production all the experiments that didn't produced good results are considered a waste of time. The only way to produce results is to stick to what we know already works, but then the work is generic and has no point in existing. There is no discovery or understanding.
>>
>>3015566
If you don't feel an urge to draw every day then you're probably not cut out for getting this.
Not trying to crush your dreams or anything it's just that with art and many other professions
you have to love the process to get better at it.
Ask any pro athlete if they had to have someone behind them yelling at them to practice or if they
simply practiced because they wanted to.
Don't feel bad for being shit is the first and most important thing to get through your thick skull in
the beginning. If you cant accept the fact that
95% of what you make in your first 5 years of doing art will look like shit then you don't love
drawing, you love the end result of something looking good.
>>
>>3015566
If drawing doesn't feel like breathing then drawing isn't for you.
Don't waste time on something you don't enjoy
>>
I agree with the schedule making. I was the most productive when I had a tight schedule. I had the most fun though when working on personal projects.

Another good tip: Keep a pocket sketchbook that you sketch in whenever you have a spare minute. It will not only boost your line confidence immensly but help you realize that making drawing a 'ritual' you have to physicall and mentally prepare for the wrong approach.

I think the most efficient way to go about it over a longet period of time: Make a schedule that you can follow and aditionally draw whenever a sudden urge to draw hits you. If you have time to spare and are motivated, don't procrastinate drawing out of a sense of not being prepared enough. You will rarely be in your best form (alert, awake, motivated and concentrated) for most of the day. If you know you can't concentrate after work or in the heat of high noon, schedule drawing to the early morning. Make it a habit, learn mindfully and try to enjoy the process of creating, rather than the result.

If you think you'd rather spend your time with other stuff, that is fine too, but you won't improve in art if that's the case.
>>
>>3017937
You produce for x hours a day, take time to reflect & occasionally something great comes out. Your average continues to rise over time thanks to practice.

Source: I make a living off my art.
>>
>>3017960
Edit: And eat, drink and exercise enough and keep your surroundings clean for that extra boost of productiveness.
>>
>>3017937

I don't see the problem. You should be focusing on the fundamentals.

The person who going to come up with a cure for cancer if one exists would have solid understanding on biology and chemistry.

For example, if you look at most artist they do not understand muscle insertion most of the time or cannot draw simple boxes in perspective.

You could spend a month just drawing boxes in different perspective. You could spend a month drawing cylinder in different perspectives.

You could spend a year doing what Tato is doing with studies like this
https://wingza.tumblr.com/post/154791597753/character-design-tips

Breaking the character down into simple shapes.

I don't see how people could be stuck with art. Are they waiting for some magic bullet or something?
>>
>>3017906
Honestly if you wouldn't suck a cock for 30k you're just some suppressed homo that's scared of being gay. Hell, ill swallow for an extra 5k. Only a faggot can't name his price.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.