[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-toxic oil painting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: Walnut_2.19545254_std.jpg (49KB, 800x580px) Image search: [Google]
Walnut_2.19545254_std.jpg
49KB, 800x580px
Does anyone here have first hand advice on oil painting without solvents, by using walnut oil instead?

I'd like to pick up oils on the side (I mostly do watercolor and gouache) but the toxicity issue is keeping me from it, especially since I've got pets at home and no dedicated studio space.

Any known oil painters who use walnut oil?
>>
I have pets and no studio space. As long as you aren't a complete retard and keep your place ventilated (ie open a window) it's really no biggie. Use gamsol instead of turps, use a dipper with a lid and keep it closed as much as possible. You can also look into Zest-it which can be used instead of gamsol/turp and supposedly is completely safe (it's made from citrus fruit peels) but I personally don't like how it makes the paint behave. You can also look into water-mixable oil paints, Winsor and Newton's Artisan line is one. Good luck.
>>
Never tried walnut oil. Have you considered water mixable oil paints? Cobra, Winsor and Newton, Holbein, and Daniel Smith all manufacture ranges.
>>
>>3013888
Yeah, but they're expensive and the feedback I've heard so far is that they don't perform nearly as well as traditional oil paint.

I came here for first-hand experiences. Meanwhile I found this video and it doesn't seem to advise against using just oil as thinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Bcbh4z-Og
>>
>>3013878
the paints themselves are toxic anyway

you can use oil paints without solvents no worries, just a little bit limited in what you can do and everything will take ages to dry, i haven't used walnut oil, i heard it's more or less the same as linseed oil and you can use it to clean your brushes if you don't want to do that with a solvent, i don't think walnut oil is better for actual painting in terms of using solvents to thin paints.

you can get odorless solvents which are a fine alternative (but don't let your pets drink them obviously)

there's also water miscible oil paints which use water as the solvent, i haven't tried these so i don't know how good they are.

you could also look into alkyd paints and mediums, they might suit you better

also there's no shame in good old acrylic paints
>>
>>3013889

Oil will not make your paint thinner, it will do the opposite. In oil painting you will want to start with thinner paint, then work up to a fatter one (ie more oil). Fat over lean, remember? If you only use oil but not solvents your different layers will crack like a whore and your hard work will be ruined.
>>
>>3013889
*That's why I came here for first-hand experiences.

>>3013891
>the paints themselves are toxic anyway
I know but apart from stuff like lead most toxic pigments are inert. I know that the cadmiums I use in watercolors are pretty much safe unless you use them in an airbrush.
>>
>>3013891

Honestly, paintings made with Iacrylics rarely look good.
>>
>>3013878
don't use those water oil paints, or acrylics, you're a big kid get some real oil paints.

open a window, buy a small fan if you're super paranoid, use gamsol as a non-toxic paint thinner and buy some calcium carbonate, mix that with some cheap linseed oil. this will give a great body to your paints. Use gloves when you're painting, and when you're starting out don't paint thin like watercolor or gouache, you're going to want to almost scoop paint up with your brush, mix your paints on your palette not on the canvas.

Not that toxic, just don't touch the paint and you're good to go.
>>
>>3013878
Have you considered using acrylics with retarders and some mediums?

>>3013896
>paintings made with Iacrylics rarely look good
If you can tell a difference between acrylic painting and an oil painting, then they've been made by a shitty painter. At least according to this painter, who have experience with making both mediums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWTSQhG-TU

Acrylic paints, unlike oils, are very often recommended to beginners. Maybe that's why you're biased about that medium?
>>
>>3013901
>who have experience with making both mediums
who have experience *using both mediums
>>
You can paint without any medium at all if you take an alla-prima approach, just don't buy paints that are too stiff to use without adding more oil/solvents.

As for non-toxic mediums, you are going to need to mix your own if you want to paint in layers - more solvent, less oil for your bottom layers; more oil, less solvent for the top layers. So bottom is always leaner and drying faster, and top is always thicker and drying slower. A stiff top layer will crack if the paint underneath is still shifting.

You can use Spike Oil for a non-toxic solvent if you can stand your room smelling like cheap perfume. It's expensive, so use it for mixing mediums, not cleaning brushes. If you really don't want to keep a jar of OMS around for that, wipe your brushes as best as you can and dip the tips in safflower or poppy oil, they'll stay good for a week+ like that.
>>
>>3013878
Live by the paint die by the paint
>>
>>3013908
>You can paint without any medium at all if you take an alla-prima approach
Oh that's great to know. I want to do plein air so that's perfect to me.

I really dislike acrylics because they dry too fast.
>>
>>3013919
>I really dislike acrylics because they dry too fast.
That's what retarders are for.
>>
File: 1428872649559.jpg (22KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
1428872649559.jpg
22KB, 500x356px
>>3013901
Never fails
>>
>>3013939
Do they work just as well outside though? I've used them indoors and they didn't really do that much.
>>
>>3013901
Not to derail, but she says some great things in this video. I love that she stated that you need to go beyond your level in order to get better. Otherwise, you'll stay a beginner. I see this so much on /ic/ where people try to go outside their skill level, then get knocked down and told to go back to the basics, and then they either never progress, or they take forever to progress. And I think it's a huge reason why people have such a hard time rendering here too.
>>
Walnut oil and solvents are not interchangeable except maybe for cleaning brushes. Oil medium and solvents have very different effect on paint. One makes it more oily and slick, the other breaks down the oil, making it more matte and potentially underbound.

You can use walnut oil as a substitute for linseed oil but it's almost the same. Both non toxic.

If you really need solvents, such as for thinning down paints, you can use spike oil. It's a bit too expensive for using to clean bushes. OMS is a lot less toxic than turpentine. You can probably use it from time to time, just for cleaning up. Keep some in a jar with some coils or whatever. The pigment particles will settle at the bottom in time and you can use it again.

Even with painting in layers, you can do without solvents, if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>3013915
KEK
>>
>>3013939

Retarders in acrylics are trash. They shit up the molecular integrity of the paint.
>>
>>3013939
Retarders make the paint crack. I found this out via personal experience.
>>
>>3013878
I would just us Gamsol, and a fan. You're missing out on important techniques like glazing, if you're not going to use turps or mineral spirits and varnish. You're not using gallons at a time, you use drops to mix with, you could keep a small one ounce bottle on the table for that - and keep the bigger container outside.

You might also want to consider egg tempera painting, that's where you mix pigment with gums and egg yolk - go look at Andrew Wyeth, he was a master at it.
>>
File: IMG_1406.jpg (134KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1406.jpg
134KB, 480x640px
>>3013878
I just use water soluble oil paints with water because I'm lazy.
I also use colorless blender because it comes in a tube.

I painted pic in my living room.
>>
File: IMG_1416.jpg (254KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1416.jpg
254KB, 480x640px
>>3014331
oops wrong pic
>>
>>3013915
Tee hee (>人<;)
>>
>>3014324
You can glaze without solvent. Real glazing the historical way is done with oils and maybe some resins. Solvents optional, but can be used a little, and there's spike oil which is the better and safer solvent for that.
>>
Why are you concerned about turp if you paint plein air? Buy it and use it, all these "safe alternative" products are complete scams. You are 100% safe to use it indoors. Use 1 jar to clean your brushes, lid after done and let the pigment settle, then recycle into a clean jar for re use. Get a dropper for thinning paints cleanly and precisely, and most importantly, dispose of your ultra flammable turpentine rags properly. Dont leave it in the sun.

Alternatives are scams. Go ahead and use oil to thin if you want to wait 2 weeks for imprimatura to dry. Use oil to clean if you want muddy colors.

Also, there is a very visible difference between plastic and oil, anyone who says acrylic can look just as good has 0 understanding of how light reflects through oils and the effects of optical mixing.
>>
>>3014370
>there is a very visible difference between plastic and oil
Pics or didn't happen.
>>
>>3014379
Youre missing the point. Oils have more vibrant color because light can pass through the oil and reflect back making the surface glow. Acrylic cannot do this as it dries totally opaque. A photo does not effectively capture the differemce becaude like acrylic, a photograph cannot be transparent, and neither can a pixel. The comparison can only be effectively demonstrated in person.

Hence the value of oils... you cannot reproduce the colors and surface effects in any other medium, digital or physical.
>>
why do you think cadmuims are safe in watercolors and not in oils? if they are safe in your mind then everything about oil paints is safe. The unsafe thing about oil paints is the pigments, and cadmuims are among the most toxic.
>>
>>3014406
you can get acrylic medium to get more transparency, and only certain pigments are good for glazing. but yeah, i agree oil paints look much better and are more fun to paint with and that can make a huge difference. i rarely paint with acrylics anymore
>>
>>3014568
You literally would have to eat them to get poisoned. A simple google search will tell you that cadmiums dont pass through your skin (only paint thinner does). Lead is only poisonous if you sandpaper your paintings. There is nothing dangerous anymore about oil painting if youre not an idiot.
>>
is lead really used in paint anymore? its not even good, it turns transparent as it ages
>>
>>3014568
Don't eat your paints, anonymous.
>>
>>3014118
Thanks Anon, that was informative.

>>3014370
>Why are you concerned about turp if you paint plein air?
I'd paint plein air but I'd use it at home too. I should've said alla prima
>>
>>3014630
Lead white in oil has excellent lightfastness and properties. Old master paintings were all made with lead white and a lot of them still look great. The fading where previous corrections become visible is more a result of not being built up or thick enough over the correction, or the sections under being a lot darker. All oil paint become a bit more transparent as they age. It's just more noticeable with light colors over dark.

It isn't used as much, but it's still used by some of the more dedicated oil painters. Lead tin yellow and red lead not as much.

>>3014370
Different people have different reaction to solvents. Not even accounting for toxicity, people become nauseous in different degrees, or they simply can't handle the smell.
>>
>>3014961
do you think titanium white will have the same effect?
>>
>>3014620
That was my point. He is worried about oil paints but not watercolors. Its the same shit.
>>
>>3015084
Titanuim white is archival quality (unlike zinc white, which cracks) but it is a very strong color and tends to dominate whatever you add it to. This is fine if you know how to use it but if you are mixing white with another color for a half paste, you might want to use lead white instead. Its kinda hard to find, old holland cremnitz is good if you can afford it, williamsburg lead white kinda sucks.
>>
>>3015084
Of the same thickness, probably not. Built up to the same opacity/cover, probably. Some lead white are also more opaque than others. Not because of anything chemically inherent in the lead. Chemically, it's very stable and bonds well with layers. Again, old master paintings are still in good condition in terms of color fastness, except for a few pigments/lakes. Most of the detriments to paintings are due to the support and maybe medium. If you paint alla prima or if you have your design completed before painting, where you won't go to too much correction over different design, then it will be fine.
>>
>>3016075
AFAIK water isn't toxic
>>
>>3016451

AFAIK sunflower oil isn't toxic too.
>>
>>3016451
Neither is oil, you blithering retard.
>>
The only oil in lead paint that's toxic is black oil, because of the lead lithurge, but it is very rare and not in any commercial tube paints I have heard of.
>>
>>3016589
>>3016477
He was talking about turps, hence the whole point of the thread
>>
>>3016868
if he is too much of a pussy to use treal turp he can just use gamsol. but the smell of turp makes you a better artist. Thats why digital artists usually suck.
>>
>>3016878
wow what a badass you are
>>
>>3016878
>>3013900
>>3013915
This.
You can't spell paint without pain.
>>
>>3016953

>You can't spell paint without pain.

woah
>>
>>3016975
>woah
wo
>>
>>3013964

Guess that goes for this guy too huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53dR5M41lfc

idiot
>>
>>3017317
What

It's not even the same. The guy shows himself in the intro and after that it's all just the artwork in full screen. He doesn't even show himself in the ending. I'm sure there are some guys that show themselves more throughout the video, but your comparison just gives more support for the other anon's point.

There isn't a single frame where the woman isn't shown.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.