[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

live model drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: live model.jpg (113KB, 1116x750px) Image search: [Google]
live model.jpg
113KB, 1116x750px
Hi /ic/, I'm planning to go to some live model drawing classes, which will be my first time. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't afford a lot of classes, so I was wondering if some of you guys who got more experience with it got any tips. I really want to get the most out of them because it costs a lot for me. So any guidance would be extremely appreciated, or just anything that could be useful to keep in mind. The classes that I'm planning to pay for do 3-15 min poses.
>>
File: figures.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
figures.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>3012805
I'm also very doubtful about going right now as it maybe isn't the right time yet and I should improve a bit more. Here is some of my work that I just made. It is worse than my average work though as I had a long day of work and I feel really tired.
>>
File: figures.jpg (366KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
figures.jpg
366KB, 750x1000px
>>3012810
sorry, forgot to resize.
>>
Where do you live?
>>
>>3012854
Belgium, but what does that have to do with it?
>>
-Draw big and don't treasure the drawings.

-You could try and draw the full thing for a good sense of gesture or just focus on whatever part you are studying maybe try to capture the light on certain area... you are free like that

- Maybe study construction from pictures at home, having a model is a really unique opportunity to learn observation skills.

And now a nice tip for you: money was not a problem for me, but living in a small city we didn't have those sessions here. I talked with a local indie artist and together we could find a fair number of friends interested in live model sessions. Then we talked to local performance artists, dancers... and a surprisingly high number of them were willing to pose for free. So there you go.
>>
>>3012805
you'll probably be suprised how well you do.

most likely they'll do quick poses first then a longer one at the end, so just be really relaxed and free with the quick ones. for the longer one make sure to measure and take your time.

the people who get the least out of these things are the ones who have a really fixed idea about what they want to do, trying to use such and such method of construction and things like that, they tend to barely look at the model they're so busy thinking about all their 'methods'. so don't do that, especially for the first time.

and make sure to check out everyone else's drawings and ask questions if you have any
>>
>>3012907
>>3012930
Thank you guys so much for your tips and help.

Looking at my drawings my construction drawings are worse than my figures based on solely observational skills in my opinion. My goal is to improve in drawing the figure from imagination. Also, I think overall my figures lack form and that I focus too much on the lines I observe instead of the shape/form of the overall figure. Is it really unwise to practice constructing the forms during the drawing session?
>>
>>3012805
Essentially what this guy >>3012907
said.

Make sure you draw big put a sheet of 18x24 horizontal and make sure your figure goes from almost the top of the page to the bottom you can probably fit 1-4 figures on each side of the page depending on the kind of pose.
Dont try any construction bull. This is life drawing. Start from the highest point and fit everything in as you work your way down. You wont have enough time to capture alot of detail until the last pose or two so just work quick and try to capture the essence and the movement of the pose.

Definately look over at other peoples drawings for inspiration, if someone is succesfully capturing the model try doing what they were doing.

You can do them in pencil ( a really soft one like 6B or 8B) but I recommend you get some willow charcoal and work on 18x24 sketch paper. They will probably have drawing boards so maybe bring some binder clips just in case. Dont bother with an eraser if it looks fucked up just start a new page when you run out of pages use the back. You MUST NOT get caught up in making them look "good". Dont aim to make a drawing you like just try to capture the pose. If you do that when you look at them later you will like them.

Make sure you spend 90%of the time looking at the model and only 10% looking at the paper.

Drawing from the model is really fun and very good for developing your skills.

Also when you do the short poses like the 1 or 2 minute ones. Theyre meant to be warm up so try to get from the head of the model to their feet in 1 minute. Itll be difficult but will get you used to the speed so when you do a 20 minute ppose you keep that sense of urgency and dont feel like you ran out of time halfway through the drawing.
>>
>>3012805
Wait its only 3 15 minute poses??
How much are you paying? Here in NY at my studio we pay 20$ for 3 hours of drawing. the first two hours are 1 minute 2 minute 5 minute and 10 minute poses and the last hour is 3 20 minute poses. If theyre charging too much seriosuly look into finding a dancer or someone artsy and get like 10 people together to put in ten bucks each and youll be good for 3 hours.
>>
>>3012955
>You MUST NOT get caught up in making them look "good". Dont aim to make a drawing you like, just try to capture the pose. If you do that when you look at them later you will like them.
I don't understand this. Should I not try to draw exactly what I see to make it as accurate as possible? Also what is the aspect of it that makes it very good for developing your skills and which skills in particular?
>>
>>3012958
I'm paying about 20 euro's for 3 hours. It isn't that much, but I don't have a lot of money, so even if I only go once a week it adds up to 80 euro's a month.
>>
>>3012975
They might have a punch card (my studio does) where you can get a bunch of lessons at a discounted price like the biggest one at mine is 500 for 50 lessons which makes it 10 bucks a lesson. or even the 5 lesson card is 75 bucks so you save 25 dollars. See if they have something like this if you can save up a lump sum.

>>3012972
I mean not to get caught up in the drawing and instead get caught up in the gesture.

If you were my student and I saw you staring at your paper and reworking a face or a hand I would tell you to stop. Look at it. Get the position and gesture. Theyre not to meant to be finished drawings. They are akin to studies. I guess its more like you shouldnt try to "finish" them you should try to get them accurate. Sorry if I'm not explaining this properly.

It helps develop value (if you work in charcoal) but really it helps primarily anatomy and while developing life drawing skills. After you get moderately comfortable at drawing the figure it helps you work on line weight and adding life to your figures. You start to understand how the body comes together and how it moves.

Its more of a thing for a fine artist (like me) then it is for a concept artist (like 90% of this board)
>>
>>3012992
I go like 3 times a week.
>>
>>3012950
for the first one at least just try draw organically and focus on observation. then the next time you go you'll know how it all works and you can decide what kinds of things you want to focus on.
>>
>>3012805
Used to run them.
Go every week, multiple times if possible.
>>
>>3013146

>>3012810
>>3012812
dude you will be better than 90% of people in the class. Most just go as a fun after work social activity.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.