[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lost at anatomy

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1432149124720.jpg (184KB, 1519x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1432149124720.jpg
184KB, 1519x1500px
How do you draw anatomy actually?

Do you shade and use contour lines just for the absolute outside?

Do you just plaster the general anatomical masses onto the figure?

Do you combine gesture and anatomy together?

Asking because I am kinda lost with it, I know the theory behind anatomy (insertions, general shapes, functions), but when it comes to drawing them, it looks off, it doesn't look 3D, the figure quickly becomes a mess because there are so many anatomy lines going through the body.
>>
First step is always the gesture, the anatomy is subjugated to it.

Post your work to make it more clear where you go wrong.
>>
File: 42217.png (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
42217.png
2MB, 3000x3000px
the idea is that gesture is king. From what I've read you want to have a solid gesture, then you start constructing from simpler masses and then you add detail as you go on. Knowing your anatomy adds on to fundamental skills of drawing in perspective, but it isn't going to do much on its own. Its more complimentary than fundamental, at least in my opinion. When I'm sketching I've drawn so many figures and anatomy studies that I can kind of integrate anatomy into the gesture, which is cool, but theres still problems with perspective and proportion, even though I know all the muscles.
>>
>>3012705
The way I see it you don't "draw gesture" or "draw anatomy".
You might practice them separately, but when drawing you use lines to describe form while the anatomy, the gesture or the perspective are in your mind, not on the paper.

If you're really good, they won't even be in your mind, they'll move to your subconsciousness and you can fully focus on the creative aspect of your drawing. That's what Robert Hale describes as being an accomplished draftsman.
>>
>>3012705
Everyone is different, but I generally start with the pose, using basic shapes, then start defining the contour. I use my knowledge of the muscles to define areas of the body - I don't need to draw the deltoid itself, I just know it's there, and the contour accounts for that.

The point is a synthesis of knowledge, to be able to build a figure from memory/data, instead of reference. The simplest form of this is cartooning, especially anime. You don't need to draw a skeleton to draw an anime girl, but you should know how the body is constructed, how it's forms change with movement, and if you run into an awkward or challenging pose, have the skill and knowledge to solve issues.

To make crude analogies, a writer learns to construct sentences by learning vocabulary, punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure. Then they learn to craft paragraphs, and then stories. When they're far enough along their path as a writer, they just know how to spell and craft sentences instinctually, and pull out the dictionary or thesaurus when they hit a problem.

Understand?

Art is focused on contour, lighting, hue, and texture. To get there, we have to craft the figure, and in the beginning, you study anatomy to understand WHY the shoulder is shaped like that, because of the bones and deltoids. When you're familiar enough with it, you just draw the contour, because you know how they're supposed to be shaped.
>>
how do you figure out the anatomy of an obese person?
seriously can't tell what's what sometimes
be really cool if someone could draw out the gesture over this as an example
>>
File: 1491771857922.jpg (29KB, 640x437px) Image search: [Google]
1491771857922.jpg
29KB, 640x437px
>>3015540
It doesn't change anything, the gesture would still be the same size of that of a healthy weight person, you literally just add flab proportionately everywhere else and take gravity into consideration
>>
>>3015672
no senpai, where the skeleton is I mean
like I can't tell where her rib cage is
>>
I approach it as a puzzle, getting the various muscles to fit together as tight as I can.
>>
>>3015540
Think of obese people as just a bunch of spherical forms.
>>
>>3012717
>studying jmgn
Oh dear
>>
My best advice is start with the bones and body proportions. If you know both of those well the muscles just come naturally.
>>
>>3012717
>that """artist"""
>>>/trash/
>>
>>3012717
Are you that guy from LAS who rendered complete furry shit in a day? Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>3015540
free pass mode.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.