[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on GIMP?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 1496608252715.gif (2MB, 206x310px) Image search: [Google]
1496608252715.gif
2MB, 206x310px
Opinions on GIMP?
>>
>>3008902
I didn't like the brushes or how they felt to use, but you could probably get it to work on par with other programs if you wanted to.
>>
>>3008902

Literally zero reasons to use it. Just pirate the good shit you dumb nigger or buy clip studio when its on sale
>>
>>3008917
>David Revoy uses FOSS software
>he's better than you
???
>>
it's hard to judge GIMP as-is, because, a lot of its merit--much like emacs, albeit to a significantly lesser extent--is in its extensensibility. No, you won't be able to use GIMP as your console or your WM, but if you're willing to put in a little time, your workflow will be insanely good. Plus, while there's a sizeable overlap in the functionality between various image editors on the market, GIMP has far more use cases than other image editors, including its only noteable FOSS competitor (at least with regards to drawing), Krita. Honestly, though, for, drawing, I know a lot of people prefer Krita. If you're also doing/looking to branch out towards animation or graphic design, GIMP is nice, because all of your work will be contained within one piece of software + a whole bunch of plugins.
>>
>>3008928
why can't you nerds just admit you don't know shit about art?
>>
>>3008928
this, fags never install plugins.
>>
>>3008941
Explain. I'd love to hear why you think GIMP isn't a viable means of digital illustration. Furthermore, I would love to hear what image editor you use and why you prefer that.
>>
>>3008941
>t. tech-illiterate winbaby who can't into shell scripting
>>
>>3008902

btw did the clip studio sale end? I saw it was up the other day
>>
File: tmp_14553-Rc9hobB_d1793750169.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14553-Rc9hobB_d1793750169.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>3008944
>furthermore
photoshop, it's the industry standard
>>
File: 192998_1279734291_large.jpg (692KB, 1088x1626px) Image search: [Google]
192998_1279734291_large.jpg
692KB, 1088x1626px
>>3008952
this was done on gimp.
>>
>>3008955
And?
>>
>>3008956
name something technical gimp can't do in regards of 2D painting.
>>
>>3008952
You're an autistic weaboo. Do you know what viable means? No shit it's the industry standard. There is free software out there that can produce the same level of quality and one of them is gimp.
>>
>>3008909
>or how they felt to use
>felt

Fucking digital faggots
>>
>>3008944
digital illustration is for faggots
>>
>>3008981
Why are you even posting in this thread?
>>
>>3008959
>>3008970
name an open source program that works on par to photoshop right of the box

pro tip: you can't

(pro is short for professional, fyi)
>>
>>3008970
This is a fact
GIMP and Inkscape will produce quality, industry level work when used by a GOOD artist.

These two with MyPaint and any working tablet can produce professional digital work.
>>
>>3008984
because fuck you, that's why
>>
>>3008986
gimp twinks BTFO
>>
File: what's not to get?.png (62KB, 1440x875px) Image search: [Google]
what's not to get?.png
62KB, 1440x875px
>>3008902
I use Linux most of the time, and I prefer it to Krita. Last time I tried Krita the navigation window didn't even work like you'd expect it to (coming from Photoshop or Gimp). I'll boot Windows to use Clip Studio Paint or play a couple of video games. I've been using GIMP for a long time and having a program that behaves intuitively outweighs missing out on brushes and filters that I usually don't use anyway.
>>
>>3008902
my nigga Tyson doesn't look too stocky there, how old was he?
>>
>>3009028
I think he was 16.
>>
I use gimp for everything but i draw on paper and my coloring style amounts to using three tones for each layer.
>>
>>3008985
Clip paint studio pro does more things that photoshop out of the box, retard.
>>
>>3008902
It's an image manipulator first and foremost it doesn't have many features which cater to artists. Just go with Clip studio, Sai or (if you've got the cash) photoshop if you want an program to do art with
>I recommend Clip studio cause its got great brushes and is cheap.
>>
I've been fucking around with Gimp for years and I never once saw it as a problem, but then I tried SAI for the first time and there was in IMMEDIATE improvement in the quality of my art.
Even with all the art plugins in the world, GIMP is an image manipulation program at heart, and the (admittedly SUPER useful) tools/features it has don't come close to a program actually made for artists.
firealpaca, Krita, SAI, or even photoshop (as much as I hate to admit that adobe does anything well) are better for artists.
If you already have experience with GIMP, you might find it useful for applying effects, rendering certain minimal 3d things, or making animations (its filters are especially useful if you want to make something look like it's on a glitchy monitor or CRT), but you should still use it only in tandem with your primary drawing program.

Of course, if you have no tablet, GIMP's pen tool is possibly the easiest semi-vector-based system available, and can be used for some really nice lineless art. (Which is why GIMP is also great for making text banners, logos, etc.)
>>
>>3009102
CPS ain't open source, retard
>>
File: GIMP TIER1.jpg (405KB, 2427x1183px) Image search: [Google]
GIMP TIER1.jpg
405KB, 2427x1183px
Pictures speak louder than words
>>
>>3009123
>as much as I hate to admit that adobe does anything well)
Never understood this Adobe hate. I've relied on Adobe for decades professionally, what is it exactly they do poorly? They created and maintain the industry standard, for layout, design, illustration, and font technology.

If you don't use them, fine, but I don't get the attitude?

Granted, they make professional tools, which are probably overkill for you.
>>
>>3008970
No, you don't understand the standards that are important.

Just to get it out of the way, GIMP is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a long standing Photoshop competitor.

The standards that are important are things like CMYK support. It's of no use to you, as you probably live in RGB/LAB 100% of the time. As a professional, CMYK is crucial to my workflow - and reliable CMYK. GIMP has rudimentary CMYK support, and it's iffy - I don't have the time or budget to take chances, which is why I use Photoshop, because I know I can rely on it - there won't be any "surprises" when I get proofs back.

I won't go further, because that belongs in a design forum. Just saying, Photoshop's standards are ones that GIMP kinda sorta supports, so professionals use Photoshop, but for hobbyists and people who aren't going to press with their images, GIMP is fine, there's no problem using it. But GIMP cannot provide the level of industry standards in files, it just can't - but I don't think it was ever really intended to.
>>
>>3009102
LOL.

Keep thinking that. Most people around here probably don't know 1.100th of the toolset Photoshop has.

t. Been studying for my Adobe Certified Expert examination. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Photoshop has too many things in it, it's due to having the app split, to simplify the toolsets. Clip Studio is a good app, but it's not even close, Photoshop is designed for a different market.
>>
>>3009299
Does photoshop have a mirrored canvas mode?
>>
>>3009311
yes
>>
>>3008921
He uses krita more than gimp
>>
>>3009334
non-destructively?
>>
>>3009405
yes
>>
>>3008985
krita
>>
>>3010156
krita crashes more than painter
>>
i personally like gimp. i started with it when i didnt have a great computer, is a lot lighter than photoshop. still use it.
>>
>>3009299
I thought we debunked this shit last week. Photoshop is well-rounded and reliable, but it was designed to do what the name says, not for digital painting. And oh boy have fun trying to ink something in PS without punching through your screen, not even Lazy Nezumi can save your ass here.

>>3008985
Shit bait.

>>3010171
Not on Linux.
>>
>>3009311
https://youtu.be/XIRTDfnnPf0?t=25
>>
>>3010189
>Not on Linux

sudo too much work to smear photo.

Things linux idiots don't tell artists:

1. Tablet "drivers" are a BITCH to find/install. 99% you will not get the the full functionality of your tablet simply because the neckbeard developing it hasn't gotten around to it yet

2. Graphic "drivers" are also a bitch. A lot of gaming cards don't have linux support, deal with it

3. NO 100% ADOBE 1998 SUPPORT. NO LAB SUPPORT. Linux hasn't caught on with decade old wider gamuts

4. All their art programs suffer from "design by committee" They have zero direction in development.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.