[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

building a portfolio/tips

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170601_221728.jpg (1MB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170601_221728.jpg
1MB, 1564x1564px
i someday want to go into animation (2d or 3d) or illustration as a career, i really would like to make a good portfolio to show future employers and colleges. Any tips on what to include? pic is a litrle collage of some recent drawings and paintings i've made in the past year or two
>>
File: 1491972328944.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1491972328944.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
nice b8 m8
>>
>>3005411
you'd be lucky to get accepted at an art school with these. working at your skill level? No way. Draw more from life at this stage, your stylised drawings are high school tier
>>
>>3005773
Op will absolutely get into art school based off of that. It shows that they know enough that they can grow and learn easier. Plus most people are high school level when they apply for art school.

Op I would recommend you include more life drawings in your portfolio when applying to school. Get some gesture drawings and another still life.
>>
>>3005411
Those are two very different fields, requiring very different skillsets.
For animation you need to draw nice creative pictures quickly. So put in something nice (skill), something creative (exaggeration, exploration) and something quick (drafts, spreadsheets).

Same goes for any other field, ask yourself what skills will be required of you and use your portfolio to demonstrate them.
But as other anons have said, learning your craft should be your primary concern before you start thinking about getting a job.
>>
>>3005773
I got into a short course with worse, my portfolio was filled with /beg/-tier high school drawings, but they liked it and said only those that have passion are going to make it in the field

Good luck OP.
I want you to remember: art school will get you nowhere if you don't experiment and work on your own, it won't magically make you better.
>>
>>3005773
Who do you think is going in to these courses? Where is the typical place someone who goes to college graduates from?

Use your brain before you speak next time, idiot.

>>3005411
The ouija board one is cool. Do more like that to show off your skill and execution. That is what potential colleges want to see.
Don't forget to have a mix of real life work and imaginative work though. Colleges don't only just want to see imaginative work.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.