[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

color theory

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: hair.jpg (256KB, 1253x749px) Image search: [Google]
hair.jpg
256KB, 1253x749px
What is the difference between red heads and brunettes color wise?

As far as I can tell through the photoshop color picking, red hair has slightly oranger hue and slightly more saturation, but red hair is just brighter. How does this work? Does red hair simply reflect more light?
>>
>>3003672
different pigment
>>
>>3003675
I can see they are different colors, but I'm asking how they are different specially in their interaction with light.
>>
>>3003672
Different haircolours absorb different amounts of light (varying amount of melanin or whatever it's called), resulting in the colour you see.
>>
File: gfdgfd.jpg (48KB, 582x594px) Image search: [Google]
gfdgfd.jpg
48KB, 582x594px
>>3003678
drew this to help illustrate, red more translucent
>>
>>3003680
>>3003693
When working in greyscale I learned that you have to balance the value of your composition. So if I am drawing a material that reflects or absorbs an inordinate amount of light I just have to accept that it will fuck with the composition?
>>
>>3003702
dont know what you mean really but draw what looks good
>>
You're retarded. Reason why gingers and brunettes have different colors of hair have nothing to do with color theory. And this knowledge won't make you a better artist in any way.

As for your question: if I remember correctly my biology lessons, then the lighter hair, the thinner they are (if they aren't dyed). Single blond hair is very thin, red hair is in the middle and a single brown hair is quite thick. Light can easier move through thinner hair, which explains why they're more translucent.
>>
>>3003693
look tasty
>>
File: 1447449600450.gif (2MB, 412x229px) Image search: [Google]
1447449600450.gif
2MB, 412x229px
>>3003708
>colors have nothing to do with color theory
>learning colors wont make you better at painting colors
>>
>>3003715
relax, he's right. natural appearance of colour has nothing to do with colour theory.

>>3003702
>so if I am drawing a material that reflects or absorbs an inordinate amount of light
don't overthink it. paper is white because it reflects the majority of white light, thus appearing white. materials absorbing light means they just have a different color to begin with, it won't fuck with colour composition.
>>
>>3003708
that explanins why some hairs look fuzzy and others shiny etc. but pigment amount is what causing this effect.
and i think this knowledge can help to become better at drawing hair, for instance here you can see two highlights. one is a direct reflection, the other is light going through the hair and reflecting back from the other side
>>
>>3003789
darker pigmented hair coincides with the thickness and coarseness of the hair as a rule of thumb. there's plenty of outliers. I think that has something to do with light hair needing to absorb more vitamins from the sun in the dark cold north but I don't really understand the science.
>>
Redheads have more pheomelanin.
>>
>>3003724
Wow.

No.

Simply, no.

White light does not exist. White light is a combination of ALL colors in the visible spectrum.

Objects that absorb colors do just that - the absorb the colors, and reflect less of the wavelengths.

How you can just jump in with this sheer ignorance of color and light is beyond me.
>>
>>3003693
Red is not necessarily translucent. Red reflects different wavelengths of light, than brown, and they are a higher value than brown.

The condition of the hair (healthier with more oil, etc) and thickness can also have a lot to do with it.
>>
>>3003678
They reflect different wavelengths of color, this is the basics of color theory, if you want to dig more into it.

If you take a piece of paper, and paint a reddish blot, the color of red hair, and a blot of brown, the same color as a brunettes hair, and photocopy it, you'll see it's two different values of grey. The nature of the color of the hair and how it reflects light controls what we see.
>>
>>3005559
>White light does not exist
It does, you say it in your own post. Also reflected colour and colour produced by light sources work differently, learn your shit you plebian.
>>
This thread is a classic example of useless overthinking. Literally just do studies of hair in different colors and experiment with adjustment layers. You'll get the hang of it
>>
>>3005559
>White light does not exist
what?

'lmao color black doesn't exist it's a combination of all colors' -you
>>
File: skin-and-body-membranes-55-728.jpg (168KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
skin-and-body-membranes-55-728.jpg
168KB, 728x546px
>>3005561
not the best pic but red hair is more translucent than brown which causes it to look more saturated because of this
>>3003789
>>
For a second I thought I was on /pol/
>>
>>3003672
i'm too lazy to read the thread to check if anyone has already explained, but there are 2 pigments which determine the color of hair, a 'blonde' pigment and a 'brunette' pigment, people with red hair have much less of the brunette pigment than actual brunettes but more than blondes. because red hair is weird genetic disease the two pigments often aren't mixed smoothly in the hair follicle and cause banding and other things like that which makes red-heads more likely to have oddly textured hair.
>>
>>3006378
is A weird genetic disease i mean**
also i found this help diagram when checking that i wasn't talking crap (i wasn't)
>>
>>3006378
you could have read the first reply man
>>
File: Dispersion_prism.jpg (6KB, 283x202px) Image search: [Google]
Dispersion_prism.jpg
6KB, 283x202px
>>3005813
Then explain this, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 271x186px
>>3006105
Black is the absence of all colors.

Learn how light works, kid.

Show us on the visible spectrum where black and white are. We'll wait.
>>
>>3005813
Not that guy but You originally posted
>white paper reflects the majority of white light.
Which technically you're describing it as one of the wavelengths (colors) of light when it is all wavelengths.
Of course you know that white = all colors, but the way you worded it sounds wrong.
>>
>>3006443
I'll show you where YOU are on the spectrum. Heh, burn!
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.