[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comics and art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: practice.jpg (300KB, 1093x665px) Image search: [Google]
practice.jpg
300KB, 1093x665px
I want to make a comic,but i heard from youtubers like lavender town to use simpler art styles to get it done faster.
I made some cartoony sketches but i was hoping that you guys can give me more ideas for cartoony art work.
any ideas for reference?
>>
>>3000354
Thinking you have to use a simple style just to draw comics just because it's faster is stupid. If you want to draw in a cartoony style, draw it because you like the style, not to let yourself be lazier.
>>
Why learn to draw when all you need are bubble headed gender ambiguous stick figures that bring your point across. So relatable!
>>
are you fucking 13? you heard from youtubers? if you had any critical thinking you could reason out the retardation of what you just asked. kill yourself
>>
>>3000369
Calm down, i just saw her video on cartoons and she had a point.
Cartoons are meant to be easy to draw to get animation and some comics done faster. don't flip your shit over it
>>
>>3000354
Congratulations on not being able to stand out from the 1000s of other mediocre webcomics out there.

The writing is your content, the art is your marketing. More often than not, shit art will nuke your project as it's good art that will initially impress and attract an audience. In fact, good can and will often mask shit writing.
>>
>>3000382
Yeah i'm pretty aware of that. Cartoony art is just more interesting and easier to draw out..
Plus anime is getting boring.
Aside from that it's just for fun between friends for the most part,
>>
>>3000354
Your fundies are shit and no shit fundies is not a style outside of tumblr
for the same reason do not listen to lavender clown
if your approach to making a comic is just to "get it done" then you really don't have the drive to make a comic anyway
>>
>>3000382
>The writing is your content, the art is your marketing.
Ah, another writer fag larping as an artist. The pictures ARE the content, the writing just gives it more context.
>>
>>3000406
I don't really use tumblr for art but whatever.
i find it odd that none of you bother to realize no one wants to spend a month making something for the sake of it looking like it came out of loomis's dick.
i just want to make something for fun of it and you're on your period over it
calm yourself down
>>
>>3000434
Let me rephrase that
i don't use it for fundamentals
other then that it's just for whatever
>>
>>3000407
When making a comic, you're telling a story primarily. People read comics, mostly for the story first. Art is there to convey the story adequately, but also to work as a marketing tool.

Best example of this are the Sword Art Online anime, and Attack on Titan manga.

SAO is literal shit in terms of story telling. But the art and animation was so pretty, it managed to sucker in enough people to dupe them into making it one of the most popular and succesful anime of this decade.

SnK on the other hand has really bad art, but the story was engaging enough to keep people hooked, despite the shortcomings.

Also, I'm not a writerfag. I can't write for shit.
>>
>>3000438
But what if you are not doing this for the marketing and just for fun?
>>
>>3000434
>hurr just let me do me
then fuck off retard
>>
>>3000434
Professional comic book artists and mangaka don't think this way. If you're not meeting the minimal standard to get published, you're just another mediocre hack clogging up the web with bad webcomics. Either take your work seriously enough to meet professional standards, or don't bother asking for help.
>>
>>3000407

ah, another failure larping as an artist.

The STORY is the content. The text and images are the delivery.
>>
>>3000438
Why Do people think snk's art is bad?
I'm not a fan just curious
>>
>>3000442
Then do it. Just don't expect to stand out/get money for it.
>>
>>3000445
Whatever brah
>>
>>3000446
I guess you have a point, what can be considered the professional comic art then
>>
>>3000453
To lifz your confusion: The anime is pretty, but the manga has amateurish art. Personally I don't really get the appeal of the story, as it's a literal clusterfuck that's riddled with bad tropes and clichés. I guess the worldbuilding is interesting enough to carry the story for a lot of people, or maybe they just don't know better animr (which is pretty sad)
>>
>>3000460
Can you show the worst art from the manga?
>>
>>3000459
Anything that meets Image's/Shounen Jump's publishing standards.
>>
>>3000464
What's the best work,anon?
>>
File: image.jpg (174KB, 1024x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174KB, 1024x720px
>>3000354
Look up Jim Brennemann.
>>
>>3000354
Dude if that were true every comic would suck. Speed only matters if you have a deadline. If you're doing it yourself you should consider it a portfolio piece if you ever want to do comics professionally and do your best work.

Also if op is your work you're not good enough for more than a web comic anyway lol
>>
>>3000373
Yeah. Animation makes sense because animation is expensive to produce.

That YouTuber is a lazy retard.
>>
>>3000475
Walking Dead/One Piece are the most popular comics for each respective publisher. That level should be the bare minimum.
>>
>>3000462
I'm on my phone, so no. But the early chapters have pretty wonky proportions and a bad unstanding of anatomy. Fortunately this works really well for the titans and gives them an uncanny aura. The regular characters look pretty bad though. I'm not sure how well the author was with other artistic skills, since it's been a while since I read it.
>>
>>3000492
And the highest?
>>
>>3000495
Thanks for telling me bud
But can i ask you a thing?
>>
>>3000480
It's just something i made together doing cartoon art work
>>
>>3000496
Dunno, but some of the newest manga to start publication with SJ have some incredible art.

Not sure about Image, ask /co/, I'm not very big on Western comics.
>>
>>3000510
It's cool i get it
Sorry for my attitude earlier
>>
>>3000497
no.
>>
>>3000517
No worries man. Best of luck.

Also, if you wanna check out the best if the best manga in terms of art in the entire industry, look up:
Berserk
Vagabond
Air Gear
Prison School
Tsugumomo

Just to name a few.
>>
>>3000532
Darn it
I LOVE YOU ANYWAY YOU BITCH
>>
>>3000534
OOOOO
2 of those are me shit dawg
>>
>>3000497
Not sure how I'd be of help, but go ahead.
>>
>>3000555
You think i should apologize to the other anons?
I think i was mean and i feel bad
>>
>>3000560
Where do you think you are? This is 4chan. People samefag, falsefag, provoke, troll and shitpost. You aren't accountable to anyone. I appreciate your politeness, but I'd suggest you keep those worries away from 4chan if you don't wanna be recognized a newfag, or even worse 'redditor' on here. Honestly, if you want to improve, read the sticky, search for artbook/reference threads and lurk more. If you feel lucky, post your stuff in /beg/ or /alt/ for critique, but take everything on this board with a grain of salt.
>>
>>3000576
i know >>3000576
but i feel bad easily
>>
>>3000576
thanks though
>>
>>3000590
kill yourself then
>>
>>3000576
You're not accountable to anyone unless you're tripfagging, or have a name attached to your art. It's cool, just let it go.
>>3000549
I have no idea what you're talking about, lol.
>>
>>3000640
Whatever then
>>
>>3000699
It's the mangas he mentioned
i really liked them lol
>>
File: mb4_jejoh.jpg (48KB, 510x310px) Image search: [Google]
mb4_jejoh.jpg
48KB, 510x310px
>>3000459
Metabaron
>>
File: 1458626694484.png (314KB, 504x468px) Image search: [Google]
1458626694484.png
314KB, 504x468px
>>3000446
>Professional comic book artists and mangaka don't think this way.
That is absolute bull shit. Sure there are some mangaka that attempt to draw pages that will age gracefully but comics in general are a disposable medium, they're made for the here and now and speed is absolutely of the essence when you have to meet deadlines, get paid and finish your own story before you get bored of it.

Bill Waterson was the best comic artist newspapers ever saw but gave it up quickly. The authors of Vagabond and Berserk both had laborious art but also both have gone on long hiatuses. American comic franchises have to be outsourced to any individual willing to draw them and even then the labor is split up to the degree it only goes to show how little individual vision or process is to them.

Besides, comics aren't about the pictures. There's a quote I like that goes something like 'Illustrations are meant to be seen but comics are meant to be read." If a person is passionate about their story I see nothing wrong with cutting a few corners or using simplifications to get more of the story out quicker.

Tell you what, the authors whose work I admire most are authors who get stories out quickly and consistently. That's comics, that's the spirit of comics. I don't envy Bernie Wrightson one bit. Spend years laboriously doing drawings for a crappy story everyone already knows? Who did that make happy? I'd rather have my readers have lots images, pages, and panels with stories that are entertaining than leave them with just a few """professional""" pages and be conceited enough to think people are going to gawk at them for hundreds of years. Give readers more of what they want and give yourself more free time, enjoy life, it's too short to spend too much time on anything.

>inb4 "post ur work"
nah
>>
>>3000946
>There's a quote I like that goes something like 'Illustrations are meant to be seen but comics are meant to be read."

Funny point of view since the best comics artists let the images do most of the talking.

If the images can't keep the viewers attention then it is poor comic art and sure, a lot of Japanese comics fall under this category for obvious reasons of what industry it has turned into there.
>>
>>3000967
>Funny point of view since the best comics artists let the images do most of the talking.

Not him, but I think the idea is more 'storytelling takes precedence over visual impressiveness'.

A comic artist might be inclined to do something much less rendered and detailed but express the idea they're aiming for efficiently. The goal isn't 'wow that's pretty' as much as conveying the story.
>>
>>3001002
I think that really depends on the comic. Sure an illustrator would have no motivation to do so but art still matters for success. Personally I would never had picked up One Punch if it wasn't for the art (yes, I know about the web version), that cooking manga got great art too and something like One Piece that although the art is subject to taste there's no denying that a lot of love and details goes into a lot of the designs. In those 3 cases I would say that the art is a big reason for their success.

It's like asking why some choose to open a restaurant when they could just make money selling hotdogs.
>>
>>3000438
>SAO is literal shit in terms of story telling. But the art and animation was so pretty, it managed to sucker in enough people to dupe them into making it one of the most popular and succesful anime of this decade.

Are you stupid? People like SAO because of the premise and the story. The art looks just like any other anime and the animation was hardly anything special.
>>
>>3000534
It's funny, because if Miura had listened to your advice, Berserk wouldn't even exist now. His art was well below the professional standards when it first got published.
>>
>>3001141
>His art was well below the professional standards when it first got published.
Not him but what the hell are you smoking?
>>
File: 1488977496479.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488977496479.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>3000434
Ahhh the classic butthurt "artisté" reaction.
>goes online for "ceitique/advice" (validation)
>gets told the cold hard truth about their poor skills and lame ideas
>"whatever, it's art! Not everything has to be painted by DaVinci's butthole! I'm more interesting this way!
Just like pottery
>>
>>3001172
Berserk the early chapters looked like absolute ass. Not sure what's there to discuss. Either you have eyes in your head and some semblance of taste or you don't.
>>
>>3001201
I think you just have some ridiculously high standards.
>>
>>3001135
That's not what everyone who I talked to about SAO told me.

>WOW the animation is sooo good!!

>>3000946
Haha, there's that /co/ mindset I see.

See, you're not wrong, but also, there's a minimum standard in the industry, and if you don't meet that, you won't get published. I've worked in the industry, and I have contacts in the industry. What you're saying isn't an excuse to have shit art. Even Scott Pilgrim with it's hyper stylized and simplistic art, still had a degree of consistency, and is visually pleasing to look at.

Your bare minimum standard should always be enough to get published. If your content can't meet that, then I'm sorry, but your stuff is garbage, just like 99% of all other webcomics out there.
>>
File: Prototype_Guts.png (141KB, 516x736px) Image search: [Google]
Prototype_Guts.png
141KB, 516x736px
>>3001141
>his art was well below the professional standards
Even the prototype for Berserk, which didn't look amazing, looked better then what it was on the market at the time.
It was competing with stuff like Hajime no Ippo, Jojo and Fist of the north star.
>>
>>3001382
And the deal is, /ic/ is underestimating just how good this actually is. It's way better than what 99% of the people in this board can produce.

It's easy to nitpick, but when you actually try to do something of equal quality, you'll see it's actually a lot harder than it looks. Especially when you throw deadlines into the equation.

22 pages a month, give it a go. See how "easy" it is.
>>
>>3001375
>That's not what everyone who I talked to about SAO told me.

That's why you shouldn't base an opinion on anecdotal evidence. SAO isn't known for good animation at all. It has a completely generic art style and middle of the road animation quality that doesn't stand out in a negative nor a positive way.
>>
>>3001382
The fact that there was even worse work than Berserk is exactly the point though. Those all looked like shit. Yet the artists still started them and improved tremendously over the years and managed to tell iconic, beloved stories. If they would have listened to some faggot from /ic/ telling them to grind the fundamentals more until they have achieved some imaginary "professional standard", none of them would be where they are today.
>>
>>3001394
>>3001401
I wasn't involved in whatever long ass discusion you guys were going on about, I was just pointing out Berserk was either better or at least on par with other manga out at the time.
>>
>>3001191
I never said i was better.
I was just asking which artwork was preferable in the ones i choose to sketch out.
My skill isn't that of any of the big guys,i'm pretty aware of that.
Plus i'm saying cartoony art in general is more interesting.
I like looking at the mighty bee or becky prim over anime or Realistic stuff because it be over exaggerated and does not bend to the rules of reality.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth though
now post your work,anon
>>
There is simplifying your characters so that you can draw them fast, and then there is practicing your characters and your craft so that you just naturally draw fast. And I think a lot of professional comic and manga artists fall into the latter. Two great manga artist examples of this:

https://youtu.be/EfidZenomQ4
https://youtu.be/QzneYmkn_xk

Also manga and comics serve as vessels for stories. Your main concern is creating a great story, great characters, and finding a way to get all that to your readers in a timely matter. How you do this is up to you.
>>
There is a great importance to panels and placement in comics, not just story telling or character art. Some amazing artists may be terrible comic artists if they don't understand value, tones and space. You can do any style you want but if you don't understand these few fundementals of comic art your story will fall flat.
I think both art and writing is important. Style, cohesiveness and expressions are important too. It's a very visual medium.
Before any artist tackles a comic series, they should practice on a few short stories first.
>>
>>3000354
>>3002578
this is the good advice. Your designs can be simplified if they take too long to draw, but if they aren't appealing once you've simplified you just need to be better at drawing.

That being said, these designs are borderline repulsive. Why do they all have nearly the exact same silhouette? Why do the robot characters look like dolls? This stuff isn't consequential, it reflects your ability to make competent creative decisions.

Focus on improving your skill, it takes a lot more than being able to draw a pretty picture to make a comic.
>>
File: sketch001.png (303KB, 605x835px) Image search: [Google]
sketch001.png
303KB, 605x835px
>>3002578
Those videos looked like fun so I wanted to try it out. I didn't have any good texture brush at hand so I just filled out the blacks with grey.

Still got a long way to go to match those videos but the good thing is I realized I have been neglecting my doodles/sketching.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Oh yeah. Also want to make a comic when I get good enough.
>>
>>3002927
Same anon, those videos are inspirational. You have got good style.
>>
>>3002935
thx. I didn't really catch the impression I had when I initially visualized it but well, practice. Lots of practice.
>>
>>3002956
That's why we're here.
>>
>>3000354

I feel like simplicity for the sake of time will just make you take shortcuts, putting in the time for all that detail I'd assume would motivate you to make a good plot and it'll seem balanced. But if you have a busy life you have to do what you got to do. As they say in the fashion industry, "make it work"
>>
File: test.png (568KB, 846x1095px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
568KB, 846x1095px
OK /ic/ help me out. I'm also one of thousand faggots who wants to make a comic, however I'm not sure about my style. I like it so far but I want to know if it's appealing enough and I should continue this way or if I should steer into another direction? What do you think?
>>
>>3004369
Looks pretty good, blog?
>>
>>3004372
>/ic/ has made me doubt when these posts are legitimate or they're just memeing...
In any case I don't have one yet (at least not one sffw with this style), but I should get into getting one.
>>
>>3004369
Its nice but flawed,draw for more hours a day and you should be able to become a monster in a year,you´ll realize that im right once you post a drawing in /ic/ and get a shitload of replies ,half asking for blog and half trying to bash your drawing for some petty shit to excuse their envy
>>
>>3004369
so good, blog?
>>
>>3004369
She sounds like a pretentious cunt.
>>
File: Funny Valentine.png (568KB, 637x643px) Image search: [Google]
Funny Valentine.png
568KB, 637x643px
>>3005398
Holy shit, that's the best response I've gotten in /ic/ (though I rearly post my work, so there's that), Thank you!
>>3005400 >>3004893

>>3005410
The text is from pic related, I used it as a place holder to since I was just messing with lettering. The dialoue is actually very out of character, the way I drew her reminded me a bit of the picture so I used the dialogue.
>>
>>3000453
Just see any of the pages, the art is terrible
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.