[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips for costume design?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_5599.jpg (225KB, 790x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5599.jpg
225KB, 790x1200px
Tips for costume design?
>>
show tits
>>
>>2999021
Patterns patterns patterns

I cannot tell you having a pattern on an article of clothing improves it at least by 70%. Stay away from just blank shirts or pants, etc. But if you must, draw the seams any buttons or small, functional details rather than aesthetic ones.

Learn how folds work, and learn about how certain clothes fold a specific way due to their design.
>>
Tights, or form-fitting clothes with a thick or puffy jacket always work well, IMO. Rouge, Tracer (Superboy?!), a few others I can't think of. It's a nice contrast in shapes.

Hoods are good. Hoods over a Zentai costume (Spider-Gwen) look nice too. opera gloves and thigh-highs on female characters are always a nice touch.

Can't beat Spiderman for classic design, but the pure Zentai look has been thoroughly explored, design-wise.

Don't design something like Widowmaker. She's just a collection of boring cliches. I really dislike her design.
>>
File: 1482731570989.png (199KB, 238x354px) Image search: [Google]
1482731570989.png
199KB, 238x354px
I once went to /fa/ for this but they didn't help much, I want to make a new thread and see if they say anything different
>>
>>2999021
start with silhouette. where do you want emphasis of the costume? even bodysuits will usually have an embellishment, and if not, from there you can start blocking in value and shape for emphasis instead.
>>
>>2999021
Actually buy fashion magazines instead of drawing mindlessly like a cuck.
>>
>>2999021
Any specific costume designs you want looked at?

Anyway, small medium large, you have to have a good mix of all three

Basically you need the three areas,

Small, coincidentally, takes up the small space, it's important that intricate design not make up a large amount of the character so that the reader doesn't have a headache from looking at the character.

A BAD example of this is most steampunk, they cover there costumes in little figdets and doohickies and it just ends up looking cluttered and strange

1/3
>>
File: Knight.jpg (368KB, 1399x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Knight.jpg
368KB, 1399x1600px
>>3001393
Mediums are important because this will give you the patterns of your character.
Take a look at good ol' knight over here. The mediums on him would be the red crosses, and his chainmail.

And finally, the large spaces, still on the knight because I'm lazy and don't want to go find another example. The Large spaces on this dude would be the cloth tunic, his shield, and arguably his helmet.

The importance of large ares is that they give the audience somewhere to rest. These rest areas typically shouldn't have patterns on them, and should stay the same colour if they're in the same area
>>
>>2999383
Was there any need to use the word cuck here?
>>
>>3001398
>The mediums on him would be the red crosses, and his chainmail
u wot?
>>
File: 1480336673396.jpg (54KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1480336673396.jpg
54KB, 600x800px
>>2999383
there used to be a fuckhuge collection of asian jap magazines on some chink site, but now it's dead and all others that I could find are paywalled or obvious scam, anyone knows good resources for them? Not just street fashion pics or whatever, but actual magazines, I like to steal ideas about poses and composition from their photoshoots, not to mention the actual outfits.
>>
>>3001464
>*jap and other asian
>>
File: save.jpg (40KB, 370x409px) Image search: [Google]
save.jpg
40KB, 370x409px
>>3001419
cuck detected
>>
>>2999021
a tip i've heard is that you have to make sure not to make the costume too individual to the character, and that it's way more important that it fits into the work as a whole.

the example was 'if your show or whatever is largely monochromatic you can't have a clown in a rainbow wig even if he's called 'rainbowhair the clown.'

i think the adviser might have been laboring the point though, as he was trying to break me of a bad habit, which i didn't have anyway fyi.
>>
>>2999021
Art history.
>>
If you have a design that actually fits the character and story, don't get hung up on the fact that it might look too much like some other character made by someone else, even a 10% difference and the difference is something that speaks of the character is enough. At worst you'll get retards making memes of your character side by side with the other character, but if people are doing that than at least you made it
>>
>>2999021
Steal the designs from Frank Quitely
>>
>>2999021
Research. Do a lot of it.

I know a couple people who majored in costume design - one now works on Broadway, and the other worked in the movies and dabbled in illustration for text books, before getting married, having kids and retiring to be a mom. It's all research and creativity to apply that research.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.