[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a comic all by myself, and I want insight

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: idk .jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
idk .jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
Hi guys, I've been having a problem for quite some time now.
I have a story to tell, to be more specific, I'd like to make a comic telling the story that I want to tell.
Why is this a problem, you may ask? Well, for starters, if I want to make a comic all by myself, I will spend a shit ton of effort crafting it and drawing it, and I'll have to do it as a hobby, because nobody would pay me, that means that I'd have to downgrade my drawings to even be able to finish the story.
I've been doing this for 2 weeks now, and since I need to downgrade my drawings, I dont like them, and because of that I can't bring myself to draw the comic itself. I'm drawing it on pc with a bamboo capture (I've never drawn on pc before) because I don't have a scanner, and I plan to upload the comic to the interwebs when I bring myself to finish the first few chapters.

Could anybody give me tips, or teach me how to make a comic all by myself, if it is even possible? How can I downgrade my drawings to a point that I don't spend a lot of time doing them, while still liking them? Is there an art style that is really simplistic but that have a lot of information on it at the same time? In that case, which one is it?

This is one of my drawings, and I like it, but I have to spend at least 2 hours drawing it, and not to mention that I draw FAR worse on pc.
>>
If that drawing took you two hours you're a really slow artist.

Honestly it sounds like you don't have the skill level to do what you want to do.

But that's OK, because it's good practice. Read Scott McCloud's books on making comics and really strive to understand the psychology of how comics work. Good storytelling is what's most important, even if your drawings aren't that hot (don't take that as an excuse to make bad drawings).
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 800x409px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 800x409px
>>2997311
I like the drawing. I'd say you can downgrade your art by using consistent materials and making a concscious effort to kind of style your work. You can create a style on paper more easily IMO, for example conte carbon pencil will give a much more angular quality to your rough sketches than markers, etc.

What are your influences?
>>
>>2997338
I don't consider myself an artist, I think that that would be an overstatement, I do like what I draw sometimes but my drawings are only half decent, and since it's my hobby, I don't like to entitle myself with "artist"

Thanks you for the book recommendations, I'll try to check them out

>>2997368
My only influence is Kentaro Miura, and yes, I like to draw in paper a lot more, mostly because the only thing that I consider myself good to draw with is the regular ballpoint pen, but since I don't have a scanner I can't draw in paper.

Forgot to mention, I don't know how to color my drawings, but since I want to get
>>
>>2997384
I want the comic to be in black and white, it's not important*
>>
File: IMAG001 (6).jpg (638KB, 1471x2207px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG001 (6).jpg
638KB, 1471x2207px
Invest in a scanner. This page was done by drawing each element in pencil,scanning it and assembling them in PhotoShop. This way you can recycle stuff like background elements and some character poses as needed,bolstering your production speed. But for the traditionalist, you can rough out panels and pages very quickly and get a feel for the storytelling aspect from character and word balloon placement,then do all of it again on the Good Paper with this gameplan in mind. Remember,since you are by yourself and not tied to the whims of either timelines or collaborators,take as much time as you need. Generate a dozen pages or so before posting them so you can understand the processes involved in making pages and spinning yarns with them. And as badly as you may think your stuff is,just Google webcomics and see just what is out there:and tell your tale.
>>
>>2997489

To tack on to this, try to find a deal on a wideformat printer. Life is so much easier when you can scan and print at the right size and print onto good paper. You can draw small thumbnails on scrap, enlarge and tighten them digitally, then print them onto bristol and ink right over top.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.