[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of chromatic aberration?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: ThisIsATestTestTest.jpg (2MB, 2140x1608px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsATestTestTest.jpg
2MB, 2140x1608px
What is the point of chromatic aberration?
>>
Used appropriately, it softens an image, basically an alternative to blur which can have a sort of stylistic look.

It's rarely used appropriately.
>>
>>2996846
It appeals to faggots on Tumblr and Instagam who obsess over an "aesthetic".
>>
>>2996846
it can look quity ugly if overused, however it is not only a tumblr thing. It can give a nice photorealistic touch, if used propely with a mask, and not just bashed on top.
>>
>>2996846
It's effect, caused by refraction of light in lenses. Point is to imitate refraction of light, as if it's passing trough lenses.
Next time google it, retard.
>>
Chromatic Aberration can look really nice (Hunter's Dream in Bloodborne, really gives the sense that it's in a Dream world) but many people nowadays just slap it on and it doesn't look good. Like >>2996850 said it can soften an image, but more often than not it makes the image harsh to look at when used poorly. I love Chromatic Aberration and never really suffer from any visual harm (motion sickness, etc) but if you can manage to hurt my eyes especially with CA, you fucked up hard.
>>
>>2996846
in paintings and what not it's generally used to make the illustration look more photographic, and it's a way to make edges soft, like others have said, but keep them poppy and graphic, and sometimes add a touch of color to a boring palette. to be honest though, usually it's just used like a noise filter, just a way to make something look a little more consistent and finished.
>>
How is this an anime betrayal?
>>
>>2996850
>>2997380
>>2997402
>>2997429

It does not "soften the image" Work on your verbiage there morons. Chromatic aberration causes successive contrast, the afterimage effect induces the eye to rapidly move across the piece glossing over the details. Noise is often added to delay the rapid reading. It's the eye trying to capture the afterimage that makes image feel like it is vibrating.

It is glaring and attention-getting, a fitting gimmick for attention seeking whores such as yourselves
>>
>>2997483
Chromatic Aberration is not like OP's image where it's an hard contrast, it can ALSO (ALSO AS IN IN ADDITION, LOOK CAPS SO YOU CAN PAY ATTENTION) be used to create a "soft" image/outline too. Stop thinking in absolutes faggot.
>>
>>2997483
you're incorrect, it's literally caused by soft focus, and even if it weren't you also don't know what soft means as it applies to edges in art. or you might not know have understood what chromatic aberration actually is.
>>
>>2997511
the "soft" is wholly perceptual, there is no actually softening of the piece, YOU STUPID FUCKING CUNT

>>2997533
U r stoopid.

The edges vibrate because of the simultaneous contrast, which gives the perception of blurring. Why do you think red/green shifts look "softer" than red/blue or green/blue shifts? Because you are too stupid to study color like an adult
>>
>>2996846
creating a focal point by changing color
>>
>>2997542
>the "soft" is wholly perceptual,
So is everything else in art, if it looks softer it is softer. DUH
>>
>>2997666
>everything is perception

Yeah? Like you being "gud" or "making it" is only perception? I bet if you ask me to post my work, percepually it will be better than your own perception, because you suck at having a perception, so there
>>
>>2997682
>>2997542
Our perception is that you're a massive misinformed faggot, and that's not subjective either.
>>
>>2996846
Remember VHS? Remember how those artifacts were a pain in the ass back in the days, but is seen as a novelty nowdays.

Yesterday's flaws are today's marvel.
>>
>>2997816
It happens in photography as well, most illustrations today do a lot to mimick a shit using a real camera. For example a lot of the 3D cartoons from Pixar and Disney will have a blurry background with a clear face to mimick a cameras soft focus even though it's all artificial and the whole scene could be rendered in full focus.
>>
It can look great but 99% of people use it poorly just to give some "flavor" which isn't the point of aesthetics.
>>
>>2997688
if it's not subjective then not everything is perception, retarded cunt
>>
This thread is radical, let's keep going
>>
>OPs image

God, I remember when that happened. My heart still hurts.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.