[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is art school worth it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 03sisti1.jpg (96KB, 809x705px) Image search: [Google]
03sisti1.jpg
96KB, 809x705px
>>
>>2994731
No.
>>
>>2994731
what do you want to do?
>>
>>2994731
>Is art school worth it?

if by "it" you mean $100k in crushing debt that keeps you chained to your barista job after graduation in a shitty apartment when you should be building your art career, then no. No it's not.
>>
no
1. ANYthing or job or whatever that has to do with the entertainment / art industry - 99% of the time, it's based on who you know, and your reputation. why do you think so many companies nowadays hire shit artists. it's because they're friends with them, at least for the most parts, while all the good artists go unnoticed. you will not get a job if you go to an art school, unless it's like juliard or something.
2. you don't learn anything at art school, even the good ones. you'd have to pick out and join specific groups and people to collaborate with in order to actually learn something valuable to you as a good artist
3. the people in art school are usually terrible, both art-wise and personality-wise.
here's one example off the top of my head: natalie portman went to harvard for psychology. and yet, her income comes mainly from acting and modeling.
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-25+at+07.56.57).png (15KB, 650x210px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-25+at+07.56.57).png
15KB, 650x210px
>>2994742
yeah maybe if you choose a stupid fucking degree like 'concept art'
>>
>>2994764
Those are some nice numbers.

Wait that says Nissan Designer.
>>
Only if the courses are relatively cheap and you're not putting yourself into any sort of debt. No art program will give you a good education because college is poorly structured to teach art. You're pretty much just buying yourself a few years to practice, don't expect any sort of job security out of it. If you aren't really dedicated to getting good on your own already, art school is not going to help.

If you have to go to college and you're dead set on being an artist, and you have the self-discipline to train properly, then find a cheap community college program and sign up for Watts online or New Masters Academy for your actual education.

Don't expect to sail through art school either, they pile the fucking work on, I've never slept less in my life than I did last semester.

More expensive colleges won't mean you get a better education either. All of my teachers were pretty good artists and generally helpful and knowledgeable. Pretty much best case scenario for a college art program and it still sucks.
>>
art school is totally worth it. The degree of skill and depth of knowledge that the instructors have there is unfathomably great. They teach you to acquire a taste that is refined and sophisticated. You will learn a lot and the feedback you get from your peers will motivate you. Art is more about who you know rather than the technical skill. You need to go and make connections that are essential for you to thrive as an artist. Especially if you get noticed by your profesor who manages a school gallery and getting into a gallery is all about who you know, that will open whole lot of new doors for you.
>>
>>2994764

hahaha, keep dreaming
>>
>>2994811
This, but that's if you're good, I'm only in 2nd year and had my own solo exhibition
>>
No but I want to do it anyway.
>>
Kinda...

Not if you want to draw anime though because it's more of a fine art enviroment.
>>
Depends on the school and the individual person. There's too many factors to say a definitive yes or no.
>>
>>2996154
Im pretty sure they are all crap in 2017.

An illustration degree would be better.
>>
Art school sucks
>>
>>2997691
Illustration is still taught at an art school. Also not everyone wants to be an illustrator.
>>
>>2994731
I don't think it's worth it when most classes I've been in weight written assignments by 60 to 75%.
Should just draw like you're suppose to.
>>
>>2998346
You can take the skills you learn as an illustrator and then abstract from them.

You can't take from the shitty abstract skills you learn in art school and be an illustrator though.
>>
>>2994731
2 years art 2 years digital art
most my classmates do aaa games, mobile games, advertisement, vfx houses or arch vis. a few are famous illustrators posted here, but thats just 2 or 3 of a good 80 different classmates.

got a job in aaa games 3 months after graduating. my teacher joined the team half a year later.
>>
>>2998365
Paint.

Only anime faggots who will never even publsish a book just drawn and call themselves artists.
>>
No.
>>
File: adolphchurch.jpg (100KB, 835x600px) Image search: [Google]
adolphchurch.jpg
100KB, 835x600px
art school is definitely worth it. this mustache guy was pretty good without it but imagine what would've happened if he did get accepted into art school
>>
Get an actually valuable degree and do art on the side
>>
>>2999962
NGMI
>>
>>2994731
It depends on your situation. What do you want to do? What are you doing now? How much money do you have? How much time do you have? How expensive is uni in your country?

The question is too blurry.
>>
Only if it's got a good reputation. And I mean GOOD.
>>
>>2994731
Double major in art and another degree (recommend business), or major in another degree and minor in art.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.