[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self Teach

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: CxTc9XxUkAAUFzC_1495290605863.jpg (90KB, 691x987px) Image search: [Google]
CxTc9XxUkAAUFzC_1495290605863.jpg
90KB, 691x987px
I started drawing seriously in 2016 and this year I decided to study Graphic Design at College but just now I realized something. I don't really like what they teach me because I can literally learn that by myself. Has anyone dropped College because of something similar?
>>
get your credits dummy
>>
That's what /ic/ has been saying for years. You can learn it all on your own or have other people force you to do things you don't want to do and learn at a slower rate. The best thing you can get at a school is critique, and if you're not there for that, it's kind of useless.
>>
Damn near so many times. Its not worth the years I invested into it.
>>
>>2994632
How much does it cost you?
>>
>>2994668
2000$. I'am planning on changing of career and just make of drawing a Hobby.
>>
>>2994632
I'm interesting in going to graphic design school so just wondering, other than the software and typography how can you learn things like design thinking and process, layout, composition on you own?
>>
>>2994680
My design teacher just said to look at the world around, it's everywhere. Designers created all of that and if it was bad, you would notice it. Magazines, advertisements, etc.
>>
>>2994680
>how can you learn things like design thinking and process, layout, composition on you own?
Those are a pain in the ass to learn on your own but it's possible by watching tons of videos, doing tons of any exercises you can find about the subject and buying the materials. Personally, I hate how the teachers make me buy multiples types of pencils and papers to work when in the future I won't use them for what I want. If you really are into all of that designing stuff and not only into drawing like me, then I guess you'll like it.
>>
I dropped out of college after wasting a year. They basically taught me babby shit I already knew, so I studied more advanced stuff on my own. Since that made me have nothing to look forward to in my program, I quit and have found a pretty decent job doing art for a living.

This was 3D art, mind you. I think the same applies for 2D, and I have several friends in a similar situation.
>>
>>2994680
School doesn't really teach you software, the designers coming out of college are typically a few years behind current technology.

The things schools are good for are classes like color theory. You really don't want to dig into that outside of a class.

Design is like art - you have a talent for it, or you don't. I've met more hack designers with degrees than anything else. But, in today's job market, you need the degree for the job, unless you freelance. If you want to work in agencies, you need a degree.

Most designers I meet are prima donnas, when they get out of college. 90% won't work in the field. I learned half of what I needed in school, the rest I learned on the job.

The most crucial info you need is how to set up files correctly, how to use workflow solutions, and how to deal with the final form, be it print publishing, web based work, or whatever. Design is a job, and like any job, the entry level jobs are working on boring shit and grinding experience to get to the next level - and most of that work is file conversion or the dirty repetitive work the senior designers don't do.

I tell everyone designer I meet, in school or starting out, learn HTML and CSS inside out, along with Indesign and other page layout stuff, and if you have any talent for it, Javascript and UI stuff. Print publishing is dying, HTML is the future. Learn Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Dreamweaver, minimum. Don't bother with Flash, it's worthless now.

If you insist on teaching yourself, do yourself a favor, and get a sub for Lynda.com, and watch as many design videos as you can. There's a phrase "best practices", that's how companies actually do things, and school rarely teaches you. Lynda.com does, especially for design issues.

And, your most important asset is your porfolio. That, and a degree, will get you hired. The degree says "minimum training accomplished", and the portfolio shows how you think and get things done.
>>
>>2994632
Where do you study?
>>
>>2994681
But most of that is ugly garbage.
>>
>>2994632
Vilppu did
>>
>>2994701
Quality post senpai, different anon but thanks for being so in depth
>>
>>2994632
graphic design is cancer
it is aiming at making you get hired by a company, not develop your art and get better at drawing
>>
>>2996616
A lot of graphic designers don't care much for art and design.

They do it because they like working in an office.

I'm a design student.. I know what they are like.
>>
>>2996609
How is he qualified to advise other people then?
>>
>>2996609
He did? Source?
>>
I'm in a similar boat OP. A lot of what was being taught was basic ass technique that I had already seen on /ic/ years ago. And most of the time the lectures and assignments do not go nearly as in depth as some of the exercises you'll find in Loomis or any other instructional art book. However, higher level classes do go more in depth, but they aren't until the very end, and you have to go through a bunch of bullshit pre-req classes. For that reason, make your art improvement dependent on Self-discipline, because if I had just breezed through those courses and not practiced on my own time, I would not be improving at all. The real benefits are : Being around other artists, getting to know professors who may have some connections, internships, and having a degree which increases likelihood of getting a job. $2000 isn't bad for college at all. Especially compared to people spending tens of thousands (Even $100,000+) on college. But it really all comes down to whether or not you see those things being worth it to you. Many have gone without college and succeeded, and probably did because they had the discipline and intellect to do so.
>>
>>2998896
Ary degrees have people that care more about veganism and feminism and how doing an art degree makes them look alternative than actually improving in art.

I hate these people and I left to have a break from being around them everyday.
>>
>>2998361
>How is he qualified
Over 60 years of work experience.

>>2998378
5:41
>https://youtu.be/rbN8wbRz9i8
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.