[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys listen to music while working?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

File: WorkingWithMusic1.jpg (95KB, 548x700px) Image search: [Google]
WorkingWithMusic1.jpg
95KB, 548x700px
Do you guys listen to music while working?
>>
Only to get psyched up for a statement, I don't listen while I'm drawing because that is its own thing, with its own sensatory demands.
>>
>>2993384
Yeah, not actively though. Boards of Canada is a go to for me, accompanies drawing well
>>
I listen to audiobooks, which is even "worse"
>>
sometimes that or avgn.
>>
>>2993384
Yes, i think there is nothing wrong with it. each to there own.
>>
I've started getting increasingly tired of music while I work most of the time. Silent mode is challenging but theoretically you'd be devoting your full attention to drawing.

Also can't help but worry that 8-10 hours a day of constant noise will negatively affect your hearing.
>>
I like some aural wallpaper because otherwise if there's sporadic background noise I find it much more distracting.
>>
>>2993384
I am not smart enough
>>
i num music to myself whenever i dont play any

so i figured what is the fucking point
"sensory demands" my ass, i bet humming takes more focus than listening

so i just listen to music cuz i'd be humming otherwise
>>
Depends, if I'm tired I load up some Youtube playlists and draw along, it wakes me up and makes me feel better. But usually I go offline to draw in silence.

I think music helps through the more tedious parts of drawing
>>
I listen to white noise because of the constant hissing in my ear.
>>
It is way to loud outside where I live. There is no such thing as silence. Constant buzzing and humming, cars vrooming by. Trains arrive & leave at 15min intervals. Even if everything in my house is silent, (which would be no pc running, fans off) I cant tune out the outside. Music can at least overpower this. House or trance type music can at least stay static. Drones are a godsend. To many variables in noise outside, keeps me on a state of edge. Some processes require no creative thought and more of an ocd like work state. Music is great for this.
>>
>>2993384
Rarely. But I do like to have something in the background.
At home it's usually some show, if I'm out it's a audiobook or podcast.
>>
>>2993384
I think Animator's Survival Kit is too harsh. Listening to a song or album on repeat can help you get into the focus. Especially in a distracting enviro, with tinnitus, etc.
>>
>>2993693
Animation requires much more thought than regular drawing.

But I've seen master animations using headphones while they work so
>>
I don't like bg music of any kind, listening to music is an activity. I don't understand how people do it, you don't watch a movie and listen to music at the same time either right? One activity at a time.
>>
>>2993384
I'm hypersensitive to both sounds and touch.
I drown out the extra sensations by listening to loud breakcore and attaching clothes pins to various parts of my body.
>>
>>2993729
4chan is different than other drawing websites
>>
>>2993738
I'm not sure I follow.
>>
>>2993739
just focus on your clothes pins bae
>>
If it's completely quiet I'm freaking out so either the TV is on or I'm listening to the same song for 6 hours
>>
>>2993384
Of course. Music affects my mood and it translates into how and what I'm drawing.
>>
>>2993384
I'll put some music at low levels on speakers, but once I get drawing I don't really even hear it anymore. it's mostly there to help me through breaks when I come out of the zone
>>
>>2993718
You drive in silence?
>>
I only use it to drown out noises in the work environment, if I happen to be unfortunate enough to work somewhere like an open plan office.
>>
>>2993718

that's because the movie is normally layered with its own soundtrack generally carefully chosen by the director to help with a certain mood, atmosphere or theatricality/emphasis. So no you won't listen to music whilst watching a movie. Its pretty much the same thing with art, pick songs you like listening to whilst doing art as you are carefully directing the drawing/art experience with some kind of backdrop for atmosphere or focus. Much like film, the soundtrack cannot be more overpowering than the scene, likewise with art dont listen to too edgy loud music and also don't listen to too calm and soothing music. There's a balance.

or just pop on some binaural beats to get yourself subconsciously focussed.
>>
>>2993564
I see what u did there
>>
I listen to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggeQKhwymas

As I find it drowns out other sounds and I can focus on just doing what I need to do.
>>
>>2993388
This. Stars of the Lid, Electrolane, El ten eleven, do make say think, eluvium, etc. If I can match the feel of the album with my environment, (the season, weather, temperature, day of the week and my mood) I can really get into an exceptional groove.

Silence is good too.
>>
Not music, but I do listen podcasts or videos about art because it helps me get into the mindset of drawing, even if I eventually tune it out.
>>
File: bojna cavoglave.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bojna cavoglave.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
Now the bigger question. What kind of music do you listen to while working? I listen to all kinds of music myself, but I personally prefer Yugoslav war music when it comes to working while listening.
>>
>>2993384
literally my posture
>>
File: vojnikscrece.png (356KB, 522x467px) Image search: [Google]
vojnikscrece.png
356KB, 522x467px
>>2994513
Holy shit
I'm not alone
Holy fucking shit I thought i was the only fucking autist in the world to listen to that shit regularly
>>
File: arkanove delije.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
arkanove delije.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>2994519
There's a Balkan warrior inside us all.
>>
>>2993384
Yes. Mostly thrash or ambient black metal. Occasionally dungeon synth.
>>
>>2993729
Hey, someone else who listens to loud breakcore while drawing. I don't do the clothespins though.
>>
>>2993384
Depends in what i draw. If is a landscape i listen to epic music if stylizated stuff i tend to listen glitch hop and if i am doing a study i put youtube or go full silence.
>>
Yes, I pick a track that fits the feel of the piece and listen to it on repeat until I'm done.
>>
Music must match my feelings, time of the day, and weather, so sometimes it's even a bit hard to find something that really suits. I mostly listen to jazz, but when I'm drawing I usually listen to something repetitive, some hip-hop or dub, or some slower and more repetitive jazz albums.
>>
>>2993718
I'm sorry, that's way too autistic even for me.
>>
File: 1463943812408.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1463943812408.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>2994513
80's music playlists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQgLquP04Z0
>>
>>2993384
I honestly prefer listening to music than dead silence but I always find myself getting headaches twice more easily when I do. I work on projects 5-10 hours straight so I guess it must be why.
>>
>>2993384
yea, I'll watch anime sometimes too but I find that anime and music are a bit distracting (sometimes end up looking for new songs and find to draw). my favorite thing to listen to is definitely documentaries, be it spooky shit or conspiracy theories
>>
>>2995020
thanks anon, you introduced me to a new genre I never thought I would like
>>
My mother is one of those people who finds it very distracting, and likes silence. Personally, I can't stand it. I can't focus because my brain starts looking for anything to fill the space. Music is necessary for me to work. It's motivating, keeps my energy up, makes working fun, and it's a distraction I can pull myself away from.

I could never watch TV while working, though. Way too distracting. I can't pull my attention sway even if I hate the program.
>>
File: ce1.jpg (42KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
ce1.jpg
42KB, 600x451px
>that focused feel when you set music to a playlist and only after 20 minutes of silence do you realize the playlist ended
>>
>>2996936
best feel desu
>>
Depends on the phase of the drawing.

At the beginning I don't like to listen to music, but once most of the thought work is done and it's time to move to, say, cleanup then I might listen to something.

Same goes for people if I'm in a voice chat.
>>
>>2993384
Depending on how thought intensive the work I'm doing at the time is. If I'm inking or working on flats or basically at any part of the work that's brain dead as fuck and juts consumes hours I'll throw in some podcast or an audio book.
>>
>>2993384
I never listen to music.
>>
>>2996984
>ngmi
>>
>>2993384
Scientifically proven to decrease your drawing abilities if you listen to music while drawing.
>>
>>2997297
link to study pls
>>
>>2993384
I just listen to my roommates stupid fucking EDM on blast. There's no goddamn point in trying to drown it out because the fucking sucking thing is always on blast and every time I ask her to turn her shit down, she has an autistic shit fit and punches a hole in the goddamn wall. Fuck my life I want to die.
>>
File: Fatboy_Slim_in_2004.jpg (114KB, 522x800px) Image search: [Google]
Fatboy_Slim_in_2004.jpg
114KB, 522x800px
>>2993384
but only when i need to get into the right mood
>>
Does Richard Williams think that story is charming? Because it just makes me think Milt Kahl was a crazy person.
>>
>>2994519
>>2994513
the brothers i never knew i had.
>>
>>2993384
Watch YouTube. Sometimes music.
>>
Albums that im very very familiar with and therefore feel super comfy in my head since i know them left and right
This is one of my favourites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzl8cLmgMJg
>>
>>2993384
I wish I could. Having music in the background makes it almost impossible for me to draw. Though I have found some rare songs that don't distract me.
>>
As long it is instrumental music. Otherwise the vocals distract me.
>>
>>2999178
Its a lesson that he holds dear to himself as it improved his own work tremendously. As such it isn't surprising to see him tell the story.

>Milt Kahl was a crazy person

Milt was a workaholic, he expected you to put your best foot forward when you worked. As such, he'd rip your head off if he felt that you weren't giving 100% to the work you were doing. He understood that people were at different levels of skill and such, as such he judged people based on that.

Milt Kahl also put a lot of thought into what he did, there are stories of him just sitting there for a couple of hours starring at blank paper. Then go into a frenzy and turn out a finished scene. He wouldn't even watch the pencil test, and rarely had any drawings in his trash bin to steal.

Crazy he may be, but a hard working crazy man.
>>
Can we post nico links to this weeb site?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31065251
>>
>>2999809
why do you use "as such" so much
>>
>>3000230
I used it three times, what of it? I should most certainly go beyond saying "as such", but it doesn't mean I was wrong in that analysis.

Something for me to work on.
>>
File: mother official.jpg (47KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
mother official.jpg
47KB, 600x583px
>>2993384
usually just to get an atmosphere going, you know? ambient stuff like pic related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zce6sKmbek
>>
>>2993384
Music helps me draw, but also distracts me at the same time.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.