[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

COPIC THREADDDD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

File: 2017-05-23 20.25.53.jpg (776KB, 1165x1073px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-23 20.25.53.jpg
776KB, 1165x1073px
Ciao's are on clearance in stores, doesn't look like it's online. However, they aren't coming up on clearance in their system, and list themselves as 12.99 regular price. Used a half off coupon, got six markers for less than the price of one sketch! Bought all 3 sets my store had after the bitch before me bought the other ones. -__- Just a heads up! <3 Get those markers.
>>
>>2992004
Forgot to mention MICHAEL'S. haha.
>>
File: touchfivefade_1.png (1MB, 1586x854px) Image search: [Google]
touchfivefade_1.png
1MB, 1586x854px
>>2992004
How long is the sale going on for? I'll pop into my michael's to see if there's anything cheap after work.

Since we're talking about Markers, here's a one-month lightfast test I made of the china dupe called TOUCHFIVE markers. The colors are rich themselves, but are very bleed-heavy, so you'd need a marker paper with them. Though at 50 cents a piece, they are a good trial if you're not sure if you want to get into markers.

It's hitting month two, so I'll be taking down my samples again for another photograph.The greys at one month were almost indistinguishable from the originals.
>>
Can someone recommend me a good basic skintone that isn't E00?

The store I'm ordering from doesn't have E00 in stock.
>>
>>2992062
I like r000
>>
File: copichexchart.jpg (184KB, 800x639px) Image search: [Google]
copichexchart.jpg
184KB, 800x639px
>>2992059
These are bullet/chisel right?

>>2992062
Milky White is my usual base. E 51
Its less orange, pigmented, and more yellow neutral.
Still on the same hex row as E00.
>>
>>2992066

Looks like they don't have it either.

>>2992090

E51 is sold out.

What about E21? I don't mind if it's a little darker since I'm not doing any blending (yet).
>>
>>2992094
Leaning less good basic and into mid-brown territories. What site are you ordering from? Really good sale? I wouldn't compromise color selections based on the fact colors are sold out.
>>
>>2992133

Terraformer on Rakuten Global.

I'm Canadian, so markers are much more expensive for me. With tax, a single Sketch marker costs around $9.50 ($7 US).

From Terraformer I can get a single sketch for $5 shipped ($3.60 US). And while there is another seller on Rakuten with a deeper selection, they only ship by EMS which is more expensive and requires a much larger order. Terraformer uses a cheaper shipping method that allows for smaller orders.

Since I can't afford to make a big purchase, even at Japanese prices, I have no real option but to draw from a smaller pool.
>>
>>2992004
Damn, that was a doorbuster just for today though.
>>
>>2992150
I just looked at Curry's website and they're 8.49. I imagine shipping into Canada from the US is crazy expensive. I live close to the border and have heard of a few cases where Canadians get a P.O. Box to get their items sent to. I'm sorry anon!
>>2992223
I bought those on 5/21. They're being clearance marked to 12.99. Call your store and see what their ciao sets will ring up as.
>>
>>2992249
>I imagine shipping into Canada from the US is crazy expensive

It's fucking ridiculous. It's especially infuriating because I live in Vancouver, and in the Metro Vancouver area there is a town called Point Roberts, which is on a peninsula that extends below the 49th parallel - meaning the peninsula is American territory. It's like Alaska, it's not part of the contiguous United States. And what's infuriating about it is USPS trucks cross the border on the mainland, drive through Metro Vancouver and cross the border again to deliver to the US addresses on the peninsula. So people on this stupid thumb of land get dirt cheap shipping from the mainland US even though the trucks that actually deliver it have to drive past my fucking house.

I could go over the border to pick up parcels, I could get a PO box or even use a service that operates out of Point Roberts, but it's a pain in the ass to do it and with the exchange rate it's just not great (a $5.24 marker comes out to $7 Canadian - better than our prices, but still not great).

I think I'm going to take a look at my local Michaels and see if they have anything there. Hopefully the 40% coupon they always have will make a marker affordable. I'd just have to buy one at a time.
>>
File: w_n_promarker_956px.jpg (169KB, 956x439px) Image search: [Google]
w_n_promarker_956px.jpg
169KB, 956x439px
why copic when you can promarkers and just refill them with copic ink
>>
>>2992274

The stupidity of this post almost gave me a brain aneurysm. Copic Ciaos are the exact same price ($3.59 on Blick) and have 12 more colors, replaceable nibs, the god-tier brush nib and are actually designed for Copic nibs.

Faggots like you who go out their way to "hack" things to save a few pennies make me want to vomit.

Copics are the only marker option that make sense. Non-refillable markers lose their value the second you have to replace one, while cheap knockoffs like the Shinhans are all-around inferior.
>>
>>2992281
in europe they are much more cheaper than copics
>>
>>2992253
>So people on this stupid thumb of land get dirt cheap shipping from the mainland US even though the trucks that actually deliver it have to drive past my fucking house.

Blame your government.
>>
>>2992286

That's no excuse.
>>
File: 1.png (175KB, 532x350px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
175KB, 532x350px
>spending over $10k to buy all copic markers

geez you can have a car for that price
>>
Anyone know any good exercises for coloring with copics or at least some recommended videos about that? While I'm teaching myself the fundamentals of drawings, I want to start collecting markers and practice colors and blending on the side.
>>
>>2992468
I'd rather take the copics.
>>
>>2992004
>sale was on the 21st
>posts late on the 23rd
Why even bother?
>>
>>2992468
Michaels has no security system (including cameras) except one of the only things they keep behind a key are copics.
>>
>>2992468
>$10k
>For Copics

A complete set of Copic Sketch markers is only $2k.
>>
>>2992325
Neither is being on the spectrum but that doesn't stop you. Suck more Jap microdick you wee
>hur these are the only markers anyone should use ever durrrrrr
kys
>>
>>2993332

Stay mad, Yuropoor. Enjoy settling for subpar equipment.
>>
>>2993088
Don't forget the refills. I mean that is why you're buying copics right? Because you're a savvy and practical marker user who realizes that a complete set of markers alone costs thousands and refills many more so?

Hmmm, maybe this concept of Copics as a "long term investment" doesnn't make as much sense as people thing.
>>
>>2993337

The combined cost of one marker + one bottle of refill ink = $10.

That's $3580 for an entire set of markers, each a bottle of refill ink, which works out to 11 charges of each marker, which works out to the equivalent of 3,938 markers for only $3580, which works out to just 90 cents per marker. That's 1/3 of the price of a Prisma marker.

So yeah, the math checks out.
>>
>>2992703
It wasn't on SALE. It was on CLEARANCE.
Sale =/= Clearance. Sale is coming back. Clearance is not. You should call your local Michael's and see if they're still on CLEARANCE for 12.99. You can use a coupon on them and pay six bucks like I did. That's a 1.20/marker per set. Set retails for 34.99.
>>
Markers sucks because you also need to buy special expensive paper because they are shit on regular ones
>>
>>2993657

Define "regular ones."
>>
File: 765894_0_i500.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
765894_0_i500.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>2993662
office paper for example
>>
>>2993665

Why would you ever do finished work on copy paper?
>>
>>2993669
because it's cheap
>>
>>2993674

You're doing it wrong
>>
>>2993674
it gets yellow and nasty over the years....good to practice on only
>>
>>2993348
The math checks out if you use it all up. A set of prismas can last years. Who the fuck is going to use 4000 markers in a life time except the most productive professionals?

I'd rather buy a cheaper short term marker knowing I'm going to use it up than a very costly initial investment I might never see the end of. long term investment that outlives you before it matures isn't an investment at all.

I'm sure when you did all that math you were expecting to wow me like you've seen in all those epic screen caps but you know what's more important than slinging vapid numbers around? Common sense.
>>
>>2992150
>>2992253

How does the shipping restriction on paints/inks work again for your country?

Is Deleter Manga Ink covered under those rules, or can you buy it from Japan shipped no problems?
>>
>>2994758
>"Don't forget to factor in the cost of refills!"
>"But Anon, refills are cheap."
>"A marker can last years, why do you need to refill so much!?"

Way to change the fucking goalposts.

Your logic is bullshit anyway. How long a marker lasts depends on how often it's used. A color you use often will dry out quicker and require replacement. And once you're on your third replacement you've spent more than if you'd just bought a Copic and a refill.

>you know what's more important than slinging vapid numbers around? Common sense.

This is hilarious coming from the retard who's basing his entire argument on buying a complete set of 358 markers (plus refills) in one shot, which is something nobody does and nobody has to do.

Here's some common sense: Only buy colors that you need and only buy refills as you need them.

The entire argument is moot anyway because Ciaos cost the same as Prismas and are refillable. There is literally no reason to buy Prismas.
>>
>>2994758
I got a steal on some shinhan brush markers. Bought 120 of them for 90 bucks on ebay. I use them for like all my basic shit design concepts before using my copics. Watch sales and shit to find a brand that isn't copics but comparable too. :)

>>2993674
I do most of my artwork on cardstock. Thicker weight and acts similarly to thicker marker paper. 50 sheets costs 2 bucks at michaels.

>>2994784
I have about 220 +/- copics and only twenty-two or so refills. The vast majority of these refills being SKIN TONES and a couple reds that I use for blushes/redness.

You don't need the refill for R20 and R21. Simply dilute the stronger refill.
>>
Michaels constantly has sales and coupons you can use on copics. I've got a good collection now shopping smartly for them.

Helps that there's two stores near my house so i can take advantage of that
>>
Am I the only one that noticed that it says "Jew" on the receipt?

What has 4chan done to me...
>>
>>2994950

I noticed that too.

What the fuck is Michaels playing at.
>>
>>2992059
Just a sort of continuation on this. I finally pulled out my samples, and, oddly enough, it's actually been a month and a half since I took that photo.

The samples haven't changed anymore than they have in the first photo. How weird.

The greys, still, are pristine and there's little-to-no difference in how they've faded.
>>2992090
They are. It's pretty sad. A brush tip would be helpful.
>>
>>2994950
That receipt is for the ciao Jewel Tones set. :p
>>
>>2992062
e000 isnt that far off from e00
>>
Does anyone have a link to a color chart that's actually accurate to the colors?

The official chart looks super washed out, and every homemade one I've seen has different colors. One of them has to be right, right?
>>
Ironlak are kinda like copics but half the price.

If you are talented enough you can even do a good job with just sharpies.
>>
>>2992274

That's a good idea.
>>
Are TouchFive markers a decent buy if I just want to add some basic color to my line drawings and sketches? I figure that as I use them up I can replace them with Copics so I'm never without a workable range of color, but they're sooo cheap that I wonder if they're just a complete waste of $30.
>>
>>2999525
They probably arent archival quality but for 30 bucks go for it. They'll be most valuable when you run out of the original ink and refill them with copic ink anyways. Dont forget to rinse out the old ink thoroughly.
>>
>>2999537

Lol I didn't mean refilling with Copic ink, I meant replacing the actual marker with a Copic. Slowing building a collection of Copics while being able to practice in full color in the meantime.
>>
>>2992274
heres a tip if youre poor like me, i buy syringes that i attach marker nibs on and fill with airbrush ink. you only need cyan, magenta, yellow, white, black and transparent medium to get any shade you want. i remove the plunger and make a silicone cap on the back with a hole to fill. works really well, and super cheap. i have also made some fineliners out of dispenser needles with marker nib cut to shape an inserted in.
>>
>>2999700

This is both genius and retarded.

Why not just get some watercolor pencils and a water brush?
>>
>>2999704
i dont like using brushes, it lends to different effects than drawing
>>
Asking again about import limitations for manga ink here >>2994769

Thanks.
>>
File: its basically wax paper.jpg (66KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
its basically wax paper.jpg
66KB, 800x800px
>>2999525
>>2992059
If you are okay with this amount of fade.
They also bleed a lot. I recommend getting paper made for marker.
>>
>>2999700
Im going to need a picture of those "art syringes" because that sounds autistic as fuck. 1) Airbrush paint isnt alcohol-based nor is it inexpensive per quantity of non-dilluted pigment sold cheap at common art stores/target/walmart 2) You are not a printer, why would you buy cyan, magenta, yellow, key (black). Human sight is based on rbg spectrum.
>>
>>3000089

I've ordered tons of ink and other art supplies from Japan via eBay. There are no import restrictions.

>>3000201
>You are not a printer, why would you buy cyan, magenta, yellow, key (black). Human sight is based on rbg spectrum.

Not him, but the answer is pretty obvious if you aren't a complete retard.

Human sight is based on light, which uses the additive color system. Red, green and blue light combine together to make white in darkness. But that's not how physical colorants work. Physical colorants use the subtractive system, starting with white and adding color to filter the white. That's where you get the RBY primaries. You can't work physically with an RGB base. You can't mix red and green paint to make yellow, it makes brown.

Printers use cyan, magenta and yellow because that's the most efficient trio of primaries for mixing. You can get more colors out of those three than you can get out of actual red, blue and yellow. With CMYK red, blue and green are secondary colors.

Ideally you want six primaries, a warm and cool of each. If you can only have three, cyan, magenta and yellow are the best to go with. I have Dr Martins ink in these three colors and you can mix just about anything from them.

Anon is still a retard though. Why would he fill his syringes with airbrush paint instead of alcohol ink?
>>
>>3000165

Is it just the standard marker bleeding or do they bleed noticeably more than Copics?
>>
>>3000619
What would be a good, waterproof/copic proof manga ink to be used in a shodo/calligraphy brush with an internal pump/reservoir?

My Chinese brush basically has a screw pump and it sucks in ink from the brush and stores it in a little reservoir inside the handle.
>>
>>3000719

I use Platinum Carbon Black fountain pen ink.

It's pricey but it's dark, it's thin and it's basically bulletproof. It's designed for fountain pens so it's safe for anything with an internal reservoir.
>>
>>3000619
Thanks for the info, not a complete retard just an accomplished masturbater. I went to school in the South, they didn't teach us about mixing colors.
>>
>>3000726
>Platinum Carbon Black fountain pen ink

So using Deleter Manga Ink would seriously trash my brushes?
>>
>>3000788

I can't tell you for sure, but probably. Deleter Manga Ink is designed for dip pens and regular brushes, not fountain pens or brush pens.
>>
>>3000796
>>3000726

But it's not copic-proof, right? What would you suggest for something copic-proof from your experience?
>>
>>3000821

Carbon Black is definitely Copic-proof.
>>
>>3000824
My other brush pen is the Kuretake No. 13 Fountain Brush Pen.

Cleaning it out? Well, I guess it's easier to clean out these brushpens (every 4ish weeks) compared to cleaning and stripping down an airbrush right after every painting session.
>>
>>3000838

I have a No. 8 brush pen that I load with Platinum ink. I have a convertor but I don't like to use it with the brush pen, I don't get a full charge, so I use a syringe to refill an old cartridge.

I don't have to clean shit.
>>
>>3000844
How soft or springy (depends on the bristle type, really) is your brush after all this time?
>>
>>3000855

I haven't noticed a change.
>>
File: IMG_3404.jpg (299KB, 2137x1068px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3404.jpg
299KB, 2137x1068px
>>3000711
They bleed pretty badly. You can learn how to use the markers to prevent over-bleeding, or you can go over with #0 colorless blender a while to get rid of excess ink and push it back where you want it to go.

Still, 50 cents each and pretty good if you use them for practice
>>
File: IMG_3406.jpg (112KB, 1122x861px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3406.jpg
112KB, 1122x861px
>>3000959
Same colors on this paper >>3000165

No bleeding.
Non-plastic based papers will bleed.
>>
>>3000959
>>3000966

Interesting. So even though the markers are cheaper they're only workable on expensive paper.

I don't think it will be an issue, since I really only want them for adding a little color to sketches rather than tight renderings, but good to know all the same.
>>
>>3000977
Have at it,then. When you buy them, they come in color sets. >>2992059 has all colors shown except greys
>>
>>3000985

Deciding what set to get is the tough part.

I want a set of 60, I want really bold colors and I want as few greys as possible (I have a set of grey Copics already). But there doesn't seem to be one that really nails it.
>>
Only quasi-related to the topic at hand.

I have a retarded idea to buy a colorless Prisma marker and dry all of the "ink" out, then fill it with permanent ink as an inking tool.

Would this actually work? I figure the colorless shit is just alcohol which would evaporate without any bullshit.
>>
File: walrus325.jpg (13KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
walrus325.jpg
13KB, 325x325px
>buy cheapest chinese markers possible
>buy packs of copic nibs and copic ink
>remove nibs from cheap markers and pour out ink
>put copic nibs in cheap markers, use driller if necessary to make bigger hole
>refill cheap markers with copic ink

It's so simple!
>>
File: 20170531_190108.jpg (264KB, 979x734px) Image search: [Google]
20170531_190108.jpg
264KB, 979x734px
>>3000201
changed back to having plunger, now i just suck it up through the tip. still experimenting. the cap is a piece of shrink tube
>>
>>3003335
one neat thing about them is that i can adjust the flow by controlling the pressure in the syringe
>>
>>3003335
and the price for one would be less than 50 cents
>>
>>3003322
>pour out ink

You can't pour out the ink, it's locked in a sponge.

>use driller if necessary to make bigger hole

That would just destroy the marker. If you have to drill for a bigger hole then you're drilling into the sponge, and if you drill out the sponge then the nib isn't going to have contact.

Cheap fags always say shit like this but the cost of a bottle of refill + the nibs is higher than a Copic marker, so you might as well just buy the real thing and not have a bastardized pen that's not going to work right.
>>
>>3003335
That's a pretty nifty idea, anon. Target pharmacies give away those 1ml and 10ml syringes for free.
>>
>>3003834
whats so special about copic ink and nibs then? cant you just buy any alcohol ink? the nibs i use here >>3003335 looks like the copic ones, same material at least
>>
>>3003868
they were pretty cheap for me, but free is nice
>>
>>3003869

Copic ink is more bleed resistant and blends better than cheap ink.

The Copic brush nib is unparalleled in terms of softness and smoothness.
>>
File: 1496419454743.jpg (16KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
1496419454743.jpg
16KB, 600x315px
>>
>>3003834
>so you might as well just buy the real thing and not have a bastardized pen that's not going to work right.
this. so much this. I don't know why people don't buy them used and just refill them. You can get like 100 markers off ebay for $2-3 each. Then if you find that you liked some of the colors and they run out, you buy the refills.

Inevitably, you get some colors that you just don't use which would have been the same except you didn't have to buy the lightly used colors new.
>>
>>3006449
>this. so much this
triggered
>>
You know how colors look if you let them dry then try to color over them? You get that ring.
Can this be avoided if you spritz the page with alcohol before doing touch ups?
>>
>>3006518
I hate that fucking ring

I usually wet down the whole area with colorless blender before I make a small touch up

Usually I don't wait for it to dry, once it's done, I only fix it in PS
>>
>>3006518
can you take a pic? would like to see what youre talking about
>>
>>3006679

Basically, if you lay down more ink over a dry patch the new ink with reactivate the old ink and create a splotch on top that gets darker at the edges.
>>
>>3003335
so is it possible to put copic nib into syringe?
>>
>>3008710
what diameter are they?
>>
>>3008734
i think the round ones could work, the way i put them in is by heating the tip of the syringe with a temperature controlled hot air gun while pushing it in from the inside so the syringe adjusts is size to it. if the nib is 2.5-4 mm it should work.
>>
Does anyone else think Prismas have better looking ink?
>>
>>2992062
>>2992253

This anon again.

I got myself over to Michaels and managed to get the last E00 they had for $5.37 with a coupon.

Then I checked online and found that the Japanese retailer got it back in stock. So I wasted 40 cents. Oh well.
>>
>>3011512

What a stroke of luck. Michaels is putting up a 50% off coupon every day through next Thursday. Counting yesterday and today, that's gonna be nine markers at $4.45 each ($3.29 US).

In addition to the E00 I bought on Tuesday I've now got Y15 and B29. By next week I should have a set of basic primaries and secondaries.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.