[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does taking a break from art actually help you improve?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: yorha_2b_by_kanekiru-dai32by.jpg (109KB, 791x1009px) Image search: [Google]
yorha_2b_by_kanekiru-dai32by.jpg
109KB, 791x1009px
I've been drawing daily for the past 2 years and I've seen incredible improvement. Anyway, I hear from people a lot that when they take like a week off from art, they see a lot of improvement when they come back. What are your experiences with that? Does it actually work? I'm planning on taking a week off till the end of the month to test it out.
>>
>>2990808

Its a legitimate phenomena. Its akin to how weightlifting requires resting periods because that's when the actual hypertrophy occurs. Your brain is learning a lot of things passively and it integrates these things best during downtime.
>>
I never experienced that myself. Every time I take a break longer than a day or two, I just feel rusty and my lines are awkward as hell.
>>
>>2990808
while i've definitely improved after taking abnormally long breaks from drawing, it does make me wonder if i would have technically improved more in that time period if i had been able to keep at it. for lack of a better visual, say i get a +3 to "art skillz" after a 2 week break but had i been drawing that entire time i coulda improved +5 or whatever. the +3 seems huge because it came from what felt like no effort, where as the +5 happens slowly and i'm there to measure each incremental increase therefor it feels less monumental.
>>
>>2990849
80/20 rule my friend.
>>
>>2990808
Those legs look kinda weird
>>
>>2990815
But if you break up workouts into different muscle groups, you can do it much more frequently because you use some groups while others are relatively disengaged.
>>
>>2990808
mind elaborating on that?
>>
Yes. Differently yes. Watch some Watts videos about "giving up"
>>
>>2990808
I've noticed that if I take a break from art, or just a specific part of it, what I've recently learnt sometimes sort of settles and I've got a more natural understanding of it.
I doubt it makes me improve faster, though. But I like to believe that there might be a purpose to sometimes try out something completely different within art, both to broaden your horizons, but also to get that pause from what you used to work with.

Perhaps it has to do with not seeing the forests for all the trees, or something?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.