[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal Slug

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: Radicool MS3 moment.webm (3MB, 760x560px) Image search: [Google]
Radicool MS3 moment.webm
3MB, 760x560px
Nothing has come close to this game in terms of graphics, excluding fighters of course. Whenever someone brings up "good looking sprites" the metal slug series is always a granted. Not only did the game look good but it demanded cool gameplay from the player. It's something that even the audience has a lot of fun just watching.

Another strength of the metal slug series, at least up until 3, was that it's scenarios are cool. When the sequel for metal slug came around the team decided to go for a very bold move and ditched the WWII-exclusive theme and added sci-fi and supernatural elements to the game, and cute playable girls too!

Even if you aren't very good at the game and kept dying the team made sure that the various death animations looked solid as well so you were always entertained. Metal Slug SV-001 through Metal Slug 3 are the pinnacle of video games and is not something that can be copied very easily as they require care in not just the graphics but scenarios as well. The direction of metal slug, at this point, became a love letter to action movies. Every metal slug that came afterward was just a retread of previous enemies for the most part, boring scenarios, and no real innovation for the series until 6, but even that could be considered more harmful for the series than good as it asks you to stop playing as who you like the most and play as who has a perk you want to 1cc the game easy (It's Tarma), as well as adding two more buttons to the gameplay, sacrificing it's "simple controls" feature the series has been touting since the beginning.

What do you think of Metal Slug, /ic/? I like it. I see it as a huge inspiration and a goal to aim for as well.
>>
>>2990788
never heard of it but it looks good i guess
>>
File: mission4p14.webm (3MB, 904x672px) Image search: [Google]
mission4p14.webm
3MB, 904x672px
>>2990813
I'd highly recommend a playthrough of the first three games on Winkawaks or whatever your preferred emulator is. Check /vr/'s sticky for more info.
>>
>>2990788
I fucking love game.
>>
>>2990788
I fucking love metal slug. I used to examine the sprites and learn a lot from there. The animations are so smooth and everything's perfectly made. I do agree the newer ones are pretty lame compared to the earlier ones like MS 3 or MS X
>>
>>2990817
maybe i will thanks, any good resources to get going on creating sprites for games?
>>
File: v04_elephant.gif (40KB, 593x513px) Image search: [Google]
v04_elephant.gif
40KB, 593x513px
>>2990831
No clue. I know that the devs back then didn't start with dots when creating the look for their game, they went with a style on-paper that would translate well to dots. These days I see artists start with a binary pen. My goal in life is to make a new metal slug with hand-drawn sprites.
>>
>>2990813
Are you 15, or 50? They used to be everywhere.
>>
>>2990836
ha im 40
pretty sure i never saw it, ausfag btw so that might be one reason
>>
File: yeti cave.webm (3MB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
yeti cave.webm
3MB, 304x224px
>>2990829
There's one thing that they can easily get away with when it comes to sprites, and that's the excess amount of frames they re-used for animations. If you try and do that with a hand-drawn animation it becomes very noticeable.
>>2990848
Don't matter none, it's never too late to enjoy the greatest trilogy of vidya ever.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.