[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting with Digital

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: photo - Copy.jpg (43KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo - Copy.jpg
43KB, 900x900px
Hi friends,

If I want to start learning how to draw, can I start learning directly in a digital medium (photoshop/GG/CLP) with a pen and tablet or do you recommend I stick with pen and paper?

How did you come to a conclusion that you can move on to digital art?

Thank you very much. Have a good day.
>>
>>2988490
do both

/thread
>>
>learning on digital

don't even bother unless you want a $150 piece of plastic collecting dust
>>
>>2988490
It doesnt matter, mileage is more important at this stage. Draw with a stick and mud
>>
>>2988507

But the thing is, my end goal is using digital media. Which is the dilemma. BUT as I started, I soon realized that replicating some of the traditional moralities (pencil XYZ HB, Pen, Marker, Inkier) is actually very hard in Photoshop.

Unrelated to topic but just me venting: I want to master a software and it seems at this point that there are many software, none that fit my fucking needs. I want a software that gets rid of mouse entirely.
>>
>>2988521
Just turn the brush preview off in photoshop, dummy. Photoshop is the best but again, having good software and a nice tablet means JACK SHIT if you cant make good use of it.
Just start drawing on whatever is laying around, you dont need to be thinking this far ahead
You dont buy a $1500 guitar as your first guitar
>>
>>2988519

And I assume Sticky is the consensus on how to get started correct? In terms of learning how to draw.
>>
>>2988490
I was pretty decent at drawing already when I picked up digital, which was almost a year ago. The amount of frustration the the transition has caused me since is immense and had I started with digital, I'm almost certain I would've quit a long time ago.

So yea, I'd recommend starting traditional to get a decent idea of the fundies. It's much more cozy that way.
>>
>>2988490
>>2988521
>Trad to Digital
>Starting with Photoshop of all software out there
Just pirate Corel Painter you dumbass. Buy it when you get a decent income and call it a day, or move to different software if you seek a more digital approach.
>>
>>2988524
Well, no, $1500 guitar for a kid who will probably leave it in the closet after a couple of weeks is a bad idea - but if the kid is seriously trying to learn, you want to get him a decent guitar, like $300-400. A cheap guitar will teach him bad habits struggling with it, like if it doesn't stay in tune, or the strings are an inch off the fretboard.

Same for art supplies - student grade stuff is cheap, but often you have to relearn how to use the good stuff - especially paints, brushes, and paper. A student doesn't need archival stuff, but the mid range is good.

if the student wants to use Photoshop professionally, as an editor or designer, they need to start using it right away. Mastering Photoshop is a steep learning curve, most people don't go beyond the initial tools and settings. If it's a career tool, the student should start learning it right away, that way there's no transition from cheap app to PS when they start working.

(On my to do list this year is getting my Expert Certification in Photoshop, from Adobe...trust me, most people think they know Photoshop. Studying for the test is harder than any test I took in college) (Im getting the cert for professional reasons, I need/want it on my resume, very few people need it)
>>
>>2988521
Learn both, then. A lot of the non-drawing fundamentals you'll need as a professional don't require either, like composition, color theory, etc.
>>
oh boy it's another

>I bought an $80 drawing tablet and I don't understand why everything is shit

thread
>>
>>2988490
There's literally no reason to start on one medium and move to another at the beginning. May as well start with a tablet.
>>
>>2989292
wacom is raking in the money from idiot beginners. the aboslute madmen
>>
>>2988490
Is it normal for my wacom intuos to lag so much or is there a fix for that?
>>
>>2989711
not enough memory in photoshop, or you still have window's shitty tablet features enabled.
>>
also: you can not fuck this up. Shut up and create A LOT. All your problems are likely easily solvable.
>>
>>2989250
why corel painter? kind of in the same boat as OP although I'm already pretty knowledgeable on photoshop. Whats the difference between the two? Is corel easier to handle/feel more natural to paint on?
>>
>>2990551
If you're the kind of artist that doesn't want every single brush to feel like using a ballpoint pen and wish to tilt or rotate your pen like its usually done with brushes and pencils on traditional art then Corel will benefit you as it follows a formula of emulating real life painting with oil and watercolors, and if I'm not wrong even its pencil presets do. Of course this also forces you to always go Wacom professional (Intuos Pro/Cintiq) since no one of their competition has tilt/rotate support on their pens.

If you don't mind what I said in the first part of this post then any tablet could do. I'm not saying that Photoshop is a bad software (it's far from it actually) or that it doesn't support tilted/rotating strokes, its just that it doesn't have all the other fancy trad. painting emulating options that specialized painting software has. One of those details you notice from the start is easy-to-do color blending/transitioning that other software has available from the start. And thats just the beginning as Painter has plenty of more settings that traditional artists will find it more friendly to get used to as opposed to a software with a much more mathematical approach like Photoshop.
>>
I'm pretty new too and bought one of the small Wacom intous tablets. Did I fuck up? I mean it was cheap enough that I can easily buy a new one if I ever get significantly better and more serious, I just want to know if it will hinder me in any way.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.