[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making art stoned

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: Χωρίς 2.png (392KB, 545x1111px) Image search: [Google]
Χωρίς 2.png
392KB, 545x1111px
What do you think about painting while stoned? Does it really make you more creative or is that just an excuse to smoke more pot?
>>
>>2988369
The latter. I'm probably stoned more often than not when I paint. It's good for trudging through tedious sections of a painting, but it's not unlocking any doors that are shut to a sober mind.
>>
personally i can't draw at all when i get stoned.
>>
>>2988369
is a fact that it makes you more creative, the way weed works is that your brain deletes certain bits of perceptual information, because it's not useful for day-to-day monkey things. weed inhibits that process and gives you more information then you need, information you can do art stuff with. you can also think of more things, because different information leads you down different paths of reasoning, and instead of your brain saying, 'don't worry about that, it's not important' it lets your thoughts float about however they will. that's why people get paranoid on weed too. and why you might find that if you do something like play pool or a video game you do better stoned than you would sober.
>>
>>2988369
You know who likes paintings done by people who are stoned? Other pot smokers.

Weed is like alcohol, it can loosen you up while painting, but it won't necessarily make you more creative, at best it will make your decision making impaired, which most of the time is bad.
Personally, I don't like to drink when creating, and I have no use for pot - don't mind or care if others do, I voted to legalize it.
Same for hallucinogens, all the dopers go "Man, you should paint while you're tripping balls, maaaaan, that would be so cool!" I've seen that done - the art was shit. One of the biggest tripping proponents, Alex Grey, who's made a near-religion out of tripping balls, refuses to paint while under the influence.
To me, smoking pot, drinking, tripping balls - that's all stuff you do when you're done working, not while. I've yet to see anything done under the influence that was worth anything.
It's kind of like the Grateful Dead - you have to be drunk or high to appreciate the music, if you're sober, it makes you want to claw your ears out.
>>
>>2989304

Do you think Jean Girauds work is worth anything?
>>
I genuinely believe Hieronymous Bosch did drugs.
>>
>>2989313
I love Mobius - and yes, I know he was into drugs - but I've never seen him state that he was on them while he worked, but that they were inspirational to his work - two different things. I'm not against drug use, or artists who had inspiration from them - I'm talking about creating while on them, which seems literally impossible, especially for Mobious, who's style is so tight and technical.

And, I believe and know people can be just as creative as he is, without the drug influence.
>>
>>2989304
Don't diss the dead man. I know what you mean, but coming from someone who smoked weed every day and has done plenty of psychedelics but now is clean as a whistle, the Grateful Dead are still beautiful.

Also one time me and a fellow songwriter were tripping and talking about what art is. We became convinced we totally understood what it's all about and we tried to write lyrics. We couldn't focus long enough to get anything interesting together.
>>
File: Flygon Small.png (580KB, 2000x1214px) Image search: [Google]
Flygon Small.png
580KB, 2000x1214px
i like how sometimes when i smoke i just do or say or think stupid or loopy shit. often times i end up doing the same kind of art i would sober, but it's either a bit looser and more surreal or trash. today was good tho. im sure when i look at this tomorrow im gonna realize a shit ton of things are off, but im sure ill see where i was going and what i wanted to do and continue.
>>
>>2989304
I did this and many others under the influence. Is it worth anything?

To reference Huxley, psychedelic drugs open up some doors of perception for me.

Not really into it these days though, between work and relationships not much time left for the fun stuff. But I plan to revisit when I retire.
>>
>>2989375
at first i thought this was some michelangelo lookin ass niggaa painting a mech and i was freakin out how cool that would be. your shits cool too.
>>
apropos, ever tried drawing when tripping? its quite mad, sometimes my hand is too nervous to do it, especially in the beginning but its fun, everything changes all the time so if i start drawing something i forget what it is and see something else in it and i draw that
>>
>>2989380
thanks

here is another, same story. there was psychedelic drug use, some booze too IIRC. over the course of a couple weeks. dont like it quite as much as that other one but still happy I made it
>>
File: awf.png (408KB, 701x1008px) Image search: [Google]
awf.png
408KB, 701x1008px
>>2988369
I have a lot of confidence issues when it comes to drawing, and I think weed helps a lot. I dont smoke it very often, but when I do I never have the "blank page intimidation" problem or worry about ruining something rough that im happy with. I can just enjoy the process without worrying about the outcome. I don't think it helps me much creatively, but most of the drawings I'm happiest with were done when I was stoned
>>2989375
very nice
>>
>>2989407
very nice.
does anyone have that thing where you almost see what youre going to draw on the paper before youve drawn it? i have it when im stoned and when im tired
>>
>>2989420
absolutely, but thats something I try to do at all times. I'd like to think being stoned makes it easier, but I have a feeling that its just a placebo. I wish there was some way to measure the effects
>>
>>2989401
Very nice.
>>
File: IMG_1764.jpg (90KB, 376x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1764.jpg
90KB, 376x500px
i get stoned everyday. My art suffers not because im stoned but becsuse i dont draw enough because im stoned
>>
>>2989542
>>2989420
>>2989407
very nice
>>
>>2989864
verily
>>
I generally follow the George carlin method of doing the bulk of the work sober, then getting stoned to do detail/polishing-up stuff. That way I don't make any huge compositional errors but can do things like shadows and subtle value changes better. Seems to work ok for me :)
>>
>>2989946
This is what I do. Funnest way to make art, from my experience.
>>
>>2989373
Love the dragon, hate the car. Keep up the good work tho.
>>
>>2988369

Usually if I'm smoking I use it to work myself out of a depressive mindset so I can actually put pen to paper. I don't think it makes me particularly more creative, beyond those mindset changes. It doesn't make my lines, or form, or shading any better. On the other hand, I don't really think it makes me worse either.

Weed doesn't affect your motor skills, as far as I'm aware. The cannibanoid system in your body that THC takes advantage of is responsible for things like mood, sleep, appetite, and memory, which are systems that seem like they would only affect the art you make tangentially if at all. It'd be interesting to see some sort of actual study on something like this, so we could speak on this beyond complete conjecture, but to my knowledge no such study exists.
>>
File: 1476117152944.jpg (69KB, 764x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476117152944.jpg
69KB, 764x720px
hey what do you guys think of doing art while on meth? whatabouts pcp? anyone try that?
>>
>>2989375
If you got something positive out of it, great. I'm not taking a "you should never" stance, I'm just telling the OP that being under the influence won't give you more creativity. At most, it will relax you to unlock the creativity you have - or give you a new angle to look at things with later.

As for worth, that's subjective. Is it worth anything to me? Not really, beyond being a kind of interesting drawing - but it's worth is what it means to you - that's what's important.
>>
>>2989407
Blank page intimidation. Yeah, I remember that. I had a teacher who had the best way to defeat that - draw a border all around the page, like half an inch from the edge. Makes you mentally own the space. It works, too, in most cases, I've only seen one or two instances where the person was so uptight, it didn't work (and I think it had more to do with working in public than anything.)
>>
>>2990300
Aderall is pretty great
>>
i smoke it but only like 2 or 3 hits a day. for me its more like a medication.
>>
>>2989398
I feel very nervous at the start, I usually like doing it way after the peak has subsided.
>>
>>2990300
Nice dubs
Different stimulation different inspiration
Though I imagine you might get caught up on a single detail while using either of those
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.