[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

silhouettes

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (199KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
199KB, 1600x900px
i feel like i'm having more trouble drawing a black blob than i should be. anyone on /ic/ got any tips for character silhouettes?
>>
>>2986302
Silhouettes are important. They describe the form of your character at a glance, so try and get that right first. If you can get the silhouette looking right, the rest of the design will work
>>
>>2986336
i gotcha, and i mean. i kinda already get that. it's why some of the most simple character designs work so well ya know?
>>
>>2986340
That's all there is to it really, just make sure the silhouette is communicating what you want to convey, ie make sure the hat shes wearing actually looks like a hat in silhouette etc and that the pose and expression you are intending reads almost immediately
>>
>>2986340
Also think about shape language and volume balanceing of form
>>
>>2986302
You're not meant to practice drawing like this, dude. How the silhouette reads is something to consider as you design the character normally. You don't start with it.
>>
>>2986447
oh, okay i thought this felt off. so construct as normal and then fill it in with a silhouette to make sure it reads well?
>>
File: 1297093347-.jpg (16KB, 286x200px) Image search: [Google]
1297093347-.jpg
16KB, 286x200px
>>
>>2986447
>>2986466
Yes, retard, jesus christ.
>>
>>2986484
hey now i'm obviously not very good at this. thanks for the help regardless.
>>
>>2986484
Not his fault that lots of professional artists like Feng Zhu, Scott Robertson etc confuse beginners with their videos that show these techniques where they start out with doing the silhouettes.
>>
File: 28450824.png (126KB, 1198x651px) Image search: [Google]
28450824.png
126KB, 1198x651px
>>2986302

Just by looking at your silhouettes I know you don't have an optimal level of knowledge about proportions.

Even if your work is stylized, there are things that should not change (I.e The size of the neck in proportion to the rest of the body, where are knees located...). You don't have to worry about measurements... Just paint and delete until yur drawings look "right enough". Flip the canvas often.

Your poses are stiff as well. Practice some gesture drawing from real life, pictures you like, etc...

Take my advice as you should take anything by an anonymous over the internet...
>>
File: sc.png (987KB, 1509x746px) Image search: [Google]
sc.png
987KB, 1509x746px
>>2986970

Forgot to add, read "The skillful huntsman" (prolly on the artbook thread), and Loomis, Hampton, or any resource you have to learn proportions.

>>2986447
You can start with a bunch of quick silhouettes when first designing a character, tho.

>>2986484
http :/ /bfy.tw /BuFA
>>
Johnson?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.