[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many hours a day do you practice and how often do you take breaks

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: trio_by_sycra-daymqvx.jpg (30KB, 502x350px) Image search: [Google]
trio_by_sycra-daymqvx.jpg
30KB, 502x350px
>>
1 hours of doing things that are out of my comfort zone.
>>
what do you mean by practice? ive never felt the need to practice, i just draw/paint/sculpt. it sounds very boring to see that as practice
>>
>>2981312
Drawing is probably one of the most easily accessible thing for me to do, so I just do it on the bus or when ever I have time.

I have a small notebook thing which is essentially just A4 pages cut in quarters in a stack.
>>
>>2981325
t. shit artist
>>
>>2981312
47 minutes a day, that is the exact time and that's my secret.
>>
As many as possible, always. Usually 9ish, always 7. No other responsibilities atm, trying to use the time wisely
>>
>>2981312
>How many hours
Atleast 4 but up to 8

>Breaks
After every hour or so, and usually for about 10 minutes. I don't have very good working ergonomics atm and I hunch over quite a bit, so breaks and stretches often.
>>
>>2981355
i think its the opposite, either you got it or you dont, if you got it you dont feel a need to practice, it just comes naturally. for instance, im a shit programmer, if i practiced a lot i would probably be able to achieve something decent with it but i would never become great at it, but for some programming just works for them
>>
I started using timers a few months ago

Right now the average is about 3 hours a day.
>>
File: is_it_monday_already.png (225KB, 262x296px) Image search: [Google]
is_it_monday_already.png
225KB, 262x296px
>>2981312
As much as I can fit into my day really
>>
>>2981342
>on the bus
Doesn't it get all scribbly?
>>
>>2981391
>either you got it or you don't

You haven't got it and you never will.
>>
probably 30 minutes a week
>>
File: 1493174565459.png (311KB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
1493174565459.png
311KB, 500x540px
>>2981312
Sycra really have talent at making things ugly huh, it's a gift. Also about 5-6 hours including breaks
>>
I've been keeping track for over a year and I average 1 hour and 15 minutes. I also think people who don't pay attention tend to exaggerate their hours (not necessarily intentionally), I was sure I did more than I actually did.

I really want to see the work of the people who draw 4+ hours a day and see how far behind I'm falling, because I'm generally pretty satisfied with my progress.
>>
>>2981391
>i think its the opposite, either you got it or you dont, if you got it you dont feel a need to practice, it just comes naturally.

All that "I just draw" means is that you're being uncritical and probably wasting a lot of your time.

Well "wasting", if you're drawing for fun / purely as a hobby obviously it's time well spent even so, but if you're drawing with the intention of improvement at a reasonable pace, that requires being analytical of your strengths and weaknesses and then training your weaknesses. That's practice. Practice doesn't magically imply a lack of love for the craft, exactly the opposite, it shows a devotion to improvement and mastery, not just treating it as a toy.
>>
>>2981312
Sycra gets too much shit. I like his girl faces even though they aren't traditionally beautiful, I get so sick of the same loomis superheroine or anime waifu face.
There are just so many horndog shitters who won't draw a girl if they aren't conventionally attractive, even if they have neat faces

>inb4 shoo shoo sycra
>>
>>2981312
I'm trying to get more into drawing for at least 3-4 hours a day right now because I've got some home-stuff that's taking up a lot of my time right now.

But ideally I'd like to draw 6+ hours a day.

I've found doing studies isn't helping me so rather than doing a bunch of studies, then drawing and trying to stylize what I learned, I'm experimenting with doing studies as I work. For instance, I started with a crappy picture last night and realized that the whole face looked so fucked up, so I took time studying eyes, then worked on how I wanted to stylize them from there, then did the same with mouths (I'm good at noses until it comes to painting them).

By the time I redrew the head and face I realized the whole post was fucked up.

So from there I was able to start over with fresh eyes and got a picture I liked that looks good flipped horizontally, vertically, and looked good after a half hour break (I try to take 10-20 minute breaks periodically or my eyes just blend everything together because it's a bright ass tablet screen so of course it will eventually).

It's been helping me while letting me still explore creatively and not get stuck in a rut of "All i've drawn are gesture poses now and now i cant draw the dynamic poses I want to" kinda thing that was happening to me before.

I'm just too retarded to do the studies completely separately. I need to have an end goal in mind like completing the picture i'm working on to the best of my capabilities, even if it means taking long stops to learn how to draw a certain part.
>>
I wake up 6am, eat breakfast/drink coffee and draw w/breaks until 12 pm. My energy is gone during the afternoon and it gets hard to draw. I have been doing this for more than a year
>>
File: even-amundsen-229-berghlid.jpg (537KB, 1920x2195px) Image search: [Google]
even-amundsen-229-berghlid.jpg
537KB, 1920x2195px
>>2981840
Nah, you just have terrible taste. Plenty of artists draw women who aren't conventionally attractive, but Sycra does so in a really unappealing and ugly style. People give him shit for that, not because he chooses to portrait unconventional women.
>>
>>2981312
None. I just shitpost on /ic/.
>>
File: 1494444383979.jpg (338KB, 1660x934px) Image search: [Google]
1494444383979.jpg
338KB, 1660x934px
>>2981406
smile friend
>>
i keep a calendar and stopwatch. my daily average is 4 hours. the most i've done has been 12 hours and the least I allow myself to do each day is 1 hour. breaks (read: distractions) last hours once i get into the bad habit. on good days breaks mean going through the fridge or go to the bathroom. so like only 2-5 minutes then back to drawing.
>>
8ish with some breaks for food and stuff every two hours, trying to push for more.

Actually, anyone know of a good program to track time spent using some programs?

Like one that catalogs pen on paper time based on the active seconds of me using MS or PS?

Does such a thing exist?
>>
>>2981325
I just draw + critical analysis = practice

Also Everything you do is practice. For eternity.

I work in an engineering practice.
I visit the doctors practice.... Etc.
>>
>>2981312
About 1 or 2h a day
And still better than 90% of /isee/
>>
>>2981391
This anon gets it
>>
>>2981312
>practice
a few minutes, then i start feeling agitated and lose my ability to concentrate
>>
>>2981312
Practice?
But I thought I could get good by buying a mole skin sketch book, a used Cintiq, my favorite artists preferred brand of drawing tools, browsing artists tumblr/deviantart/twitter/facebook pages, and reading how to instructional drawing books.
I didn't know I would have to put in actual time and effort.
>>
12-14 hours a day. I'm a NEET. I only browse the internet for about 20 mins a day.
>>
>>2981391
You're right, abd that's good news for me I guess. I spend very little time studying, as I learn stuff quick. That said, I do spend many hours a day drawing and painting, as you can't discount cumulative hands on experience. Most of my progress just comes from doing it, and trying new shit.
>>
File: 1492233623227.png (1MB, 830x556px) Image search: [Google]
1492233623227.png
1MB, 830x556px
>>2982429
Just because i have a different taste than you doesnt mean it's terrible. I like all sorts of art fucko
>>
>>2983536
Ignore crilley though
>>
>>2983537
even Mark's drawings are more attarcitve than Sycra's.
>>
>>2983538
In your opinion. Mark crilley badly draws soulless westernized anime trash in my opinion.
>>
14 hours a day ur all doomed
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.