[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this all it takes to work at Cartoon Network these days?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14

File: CalArts Garbage.png (218KB, 616x755px) Image search: [Google]
CalArts Garbage.png
218KB, 616x755px
Is this all it takes to work at Cartoon Network these days?
>>
Besides lol NIGGER it's actually a good deal better than what I see coming out of Cartoon Network's craphole these days.
>>
>>2979497
You're kidding, right? This character is stiff as a bored and there's nothing interesting about any of her designs.
>>
>>2979498
Yeah but that's the same with literally everything else on CN except this at least has form.
>>
File: MARCO ms4.png (5KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
MARCO ms4.png
5KB, 256x384px
>>2979497
This. CN's not really Wowing anyone these days with any of their cartoons. Like, I appreciate Gumball's mixed animation style aesthetics but most of the time we're looking at the thick-lined childish main characters with the animation ranging from insanely bare-bones to non-existent. It's also something I hate children watching.

Sure, show a kid some gore and violence
Sure, show a kid some nudity and bare breasts
But don't, for the love of god, show them an annoying cartoon character and urge them to make their family's lives hell.
>>
>>2979494
I actually like this one. Is this a new cartoon coming out?
>>
File: Adult-swim-logo-sdcc-12.png (25KB, 600x274px) Image search: [Google]
Adult-swim-logo-sdcc-12.png
25KB, 600x274px
>>2979494
Hey now, I think the new Samurai Jack episodes are pretty coo- oh wait.
>>
It has to be a money thing, right? Easier to animate, easier to churn out episodes
>>
File: 1489096779456.gif (477KB, 163x146px) Image search: [Google]
1489096779456.gif
477KB, 163x146px
>>2979494
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
>>
>>2981150
Hate both.
>>
File: knees.jpg (185KB, 1026x767px) Image search: [Google]
knees.jpg
185KB, 1026x767px
those knees seem familiar
>>
>>2979498
>design art
>hurrrrrr stiff
Gesture babbies should be gassed.
>>
>>2981222
whats the context here?
>>
>>2981238
Canadian special forces hostage crisis demonstration.

Pictured is the special forces unit surveying a bus full of women being held captive by patriarchy.
>>
>>2979494
Cartoon Network has never required much skill. Look at the horrible shit they churned out in the 90s.
>>
>>2979557
>Hey now, I think the new Samurai Jack episodes are pretty cool
Well, you're wrong.
>>
>>2979505
This.
>>
>>2981245
still dont get it
more info plz?
>>
>>2979494
Holy shit that neck.
It's like a fucking giraffe.
>>
Nice boobs you fucking weeb.
>>
Also where is the damn light source?
>>
>>2979494
This is why I watch anime.
>>
File: Knees .png (471KB, 682x362px) Image search: [Google]
Knees .png
471KB, 682x362px
>>2981238
They're saying the knees look fucked up just like the drawing's
>>
File: literally.jpg (18KB, 403x389px) Image search: [Google]
literally.jpg
18KB, 403x389px
>>2981742
>>
File: tumblr_ndytdhOahC1rm4wgqo8_1280.jpg (235KB, 640x895px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndytdhOahC1rm4wgqo8_1280.jpg
235KB, 640x895px
>>2979494
Notice in her bio that she's a storyboard artist.
Do you know what a storyboard artist's biggest and most important role is?
No?
Well let me tell you bud, it's to create the framework from which the animators work.
I.e placing everything in the scene in a compelling manor.
The image i attached is by one of japans most prominent anime directors, Hiroyuk Imaishi.
Technical skill is not in any way important for a storyboard artist. All they need to know is how to tell a good story using pictures and be able to convey how the scene should look to the animators.
Also while I'm at it, stop worrying your little head about what others are drawing, but your noggin to the drawing board and shut your gaping hole of a mouth.
>>
>>2981252
What's wrong with Samurai Jack?
>>
>>2979498
It's a cute design but you're right that it's a little stiff. Popping the hips and one foot up would've really sold it since it's sorta looking like an 80's aerobics meets magical girl pic already.

Does this person actually work for CN though?

>>2979505
Gumball has some good episodes. They're very creative with the story and humor. Animation doesn't all have to be bakshi levels of beautiful to be something of substance.

I dunno I look at it as "Workaholics for kids if it was a cartoon." Kinda trash but fun to watch once in awhile, and they don't overplay it like they do REAL trash animation like Teen Titans Go. You wanna complain about something? Look at how OFTEN they air that. Even if I wasn't an adultchild watching cartoons (i can only use "i want to animate" as an excuse for some things ha)
I can't imagine any parent is happy with this show CONSTANTLY airing, sometimes 5+ hours in one DAY. I'm not exaggerating a lot of youtuber manchilds complain about it too.

At least shit like Steven Universe, even if the fandom is SJW trash, has a story and decent visuals when the scene calls for it even if it's bubblegum drawing style like 90% of CN shows today
(TTG, the new PPG, Gumball for most of the characters and of course the originator, Adventure Time)

The only show that had a decent drawing style was Uncle Grandpa and that had the unfortunate problem of being Uncle Grandpa. The Aunt Grandma episodes are the only ones worth watching and that's just because she's a qt
>>
>>2981114
Not to mention it's super popular, easy to merchaindise since it IS all simple, recognizable designs, and it all appeals to the realy garbage meme-culture kids are a little TOO into these days.

I mean they made the powerpuff girls twerk, if that's not a better analogy of "doing it for the money" i don't know what is.

Adult Swim is their only saving grace.
>>
>>2981251
That was also when they were a fledgling channel competing against juggernauts like Nickelodeon and Disney.
>>
>>2981842
Imaishi has technical skill though
>>
>>2979494
>Is this all it takes to work at Cartoon Network these days?

This is both infuriating and comforting at the same time. The artist standards being this low means there's hope for alot of us to get in.
>>
>>2979498
Stiff as a bored

It's BOARD mate, like a board of wood.
>>
>>2982430
>hope for alot of us to get in
Nah it's mostly jewish nepotism and connections.
Even less of a chance to get in.
>>
>>2982396
Yes of course, but what I wanted to show with that pic is that his storyboards are very silly looking and that the main purpose of a storyboard isn't to be technically sound
>>
>>2981842
>>2982518
yupyup, storyboarding is a completely different skill than say illustration or even the animation part of animation and while learning the basics of all those is super helpful, what they really focus on is the cinematography, cuts/editing, framing, legibility of action, and to some extent, the feasibility of what works within the limits of animation/the budget.

in most modern western board driven cartoons the storyboard artist is also technically one of the writers, putting in a lot of the jokes and gags that they can't really plan for in the script seeing as they're limited to only words. which isn't to say that the storyboards go to the outsourced animation studios raw, they go through what's called storyboard revision where another usually newer storyboard artist cleans things up and makes them look more on model and all that fun junk on top of often redoing sequences to make more sense. it's like being an inbetweener or a cleanup artist for a key animator with a bit more problem solving on your end.

>>2982499
the whole "connections" thing is a bit unfortunate for those with social anxiety but at least it helps with weeding out people who believe in jewish conspiracies and what not
>>
>>2981756
but this is inspired by anime you dip, big eyes, small or inexistent nose and no lips ,pastel hair ,magic pastel girl clothes
>>
>>2982372
Other people like it. This an edgy contrarian internet club remember.
>>
>>2983103
i dont think this would be the edgy part of ic. people here are just frustrated that such a shitty design is accepted and praised as excellent,when its only real praise should be "the line art is good".

other people liking it has nothing to do with how good something is. what you are referring to is popularity and we all know popular things usually suck ass. popular music is usually simple and lacks creativity, just like this picture. now im not saying simple music sucks, or simple art sucks, but the lack of creativity tends to be overbearing, especially in this era of dumbed down entertainment. its a forced thing though, like some other anon said teen titan go is played 5+ hours a day and that show is fucking horrible, just like how shitty pop music is played tens of times a day on the radio. its just to force you to get used to it and eventually you will like it. it doesnt mean its good. i equate it to stockholm syndrome with a touch of dunning kruger.
>>
why are people complaining about the pose and background of a DESIGN PIECE. this is a REFERENCE for a CHARACTER.
>>
>doodle something for fun
>a bunch of nobodies on a chinese image board think that you don't deserve your job
brutal
>>
>>2983203
>post your art on a public forum known for negativity
>defensive when everybody doesnt give you kissies on your tummy
stupid
>>
>>2983139
Its shit regardless, what was your point even?
References dont have to be good? If anything, they need to be great since they're the REFERENCE which nails down all of the minute details of a character.
It's shit. You can like it, but it's still shit.
>>
>>2982518

Individual drawings by storyboard artists may not necessarily impress, but an important thing to realize is that they have to do these drawings in several minutes in most cases. Anyone who spends hours on a single drawing can make it look impressive.

I wouldn't realize discount the skill of people working in professional animation at that level. Storyboard artists frequently need to draw nearly perfectly on model, drawing storyboards that are more or less animated, so that the Koreans who animate the show can trace the boards.

Basically, if you're not impressed by a random twitter drawing, don't worry. They don't have anything to prove. These guys are some of the best pure draftsmen in the business.
>>
>>2981222
>>2981238
>muh soggy knees
>>
Yeah well, my little pony doesn't showcase realistic horses either and it made it big. As an artist you adapt to the industry, lards.
>>
>>2983103
>calling out the contrarianism is the new meme
>now watch me use popularity as an indicator of quality
you're the other side of the retard coin you fucking dunce
>>
File: 1451521464721.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1451521464721.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>2979494

>Is this all it takes

I know, and even then you are still failing at working with CN.
>>
>>2979494
yes all you need is professional cartooning skills of a high caliber and you can work there too!
>>
>>2981238

Antifa, liberals thinking they can dress ridiculously and still be cool. They don't realize some traditions cannot be broken so they end up looking like bizarre freaks fighting for a lose cause.

That's what happens when you believe you can be both manly and be a manlet, weakling, with zero ambitions and zero dress up game.
>>
I can't even believe OP, it's like he doesn't know how animation works.
Protip: Mickey Mouse and Elmyra from Animaniacs are even simpler, but they are iconic and their designs fucking work.

Same with art in OP. I lately downloaded two seasons of "Star vs Forces of Evil". You can see there simple designs, hell, even infamous grin expression that can be also seen in other cartoons like Steven Universe, Gumball, that twin peaks for kids show and other stuff I don't watch.

In this style of animation really a lot happens on the screen, characters are constantly transformed heavily and animation is fluid in all parts. Also it must read good and attractive for kids and manchildren alike.

It works as a design well, you must be completely delusional if you can't see it as a good stuff for animation, especially such as in the west where you don't really use anime tricks with static long shots, photo paintovers and it's own set of samefaces and stock particle effects.
>>
>>2986994
>I can't even believe OP, it's like he doesn't know how animation works.

nobody on this shit board knows how anything works
>>
>>2979494
let's see you draw better faggot
>>
>>2986994
>Mickey Mouse and Elmyra from Animaniacs are even simpler, but they are iconic and their designs fucking work

That's because they're unique
SU and whatever the bitch in OP's pic posted are generic watered down plastic tumblr shit that no one cares about or ever will care about
>>
>>2987815
I don't follow western cartoons at all, but isn't SU immensely popular and has tons of rabid fangirls?

I mean, I agree it looks like shit, but why would you say no one cares about it when clearly tons of people do?
>>
Why does it seem that so many people on /ic/ have no understanding of the working artist world? Illustration and fine art are not the only art disciplines that are needed. There are so many different jobs an artist can do. And as long as your art can do the job they you need you to do, then its fine.

This person is a skilled storyboard artist and writer. Not to mention that her art is actually good as a cartoonist, and she is able to render a better picture than most of /ic/. So if that is what it takes to get a job at CN, then the majority of this board should be sweating bullets.
>>
File: C-D3lktUQAE0OlI.jpg (96KB, 1012x1004px) Image search: [Google]
C-D3lktUQAE0OlI.jpg
96KB, 1012x1004px
Looks like tumblr shit with nicer lineart. but i looked through the rest of her twitter and it *does* look exactly like the styles of current cartoonnetwork shows
>>
>>2987851
This
>>
>>2987874
Also these shitters don't understand the technical skill involved in creating an animated style and producing it consistently, including characters, environments, all of that.
>>
>>2987874
Just retards failing to understand how the world works.
>>
>>2987907
>Also these shitters don't understand the technical skill involved in creating an animated style and producing it consistently

They do that's why they pointed out how shit the art in the OP is.
>>
>>2986994
>It works as a design well, you must be completely delusional if you can't see it as a good stuff for animation,

>Overlapping translucent fabric

>good stuff for animation

You either never animated in your life or are just a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2988842

oh no, what a shitty design with "translucent" shit around the hip area
>>
>>2988870

jesus christ what were they thinking doing it more than once
>>
>>2987851
>>2987898
it's not something people will remember in the future, unlike mickey mouse or any of the other iconic animated series of the past. it's plastic garbage that serves it's purpose for a while but eventually is recycled into some other show that'll glue kids to their tv screens. and having fangirls =/= good
>>
>>2988870
>>2988875
>a megabucks disney movie is the standard for animation
fucking idiot then
>>
>>2988896

What about new Sailor Moon and that transparent shit on their shoulders? TV Series with lots of episodes.
>>
>>2988963
hey looks like they went back to the older designs for the faces, that's good.
>>
>>2988963
>hiding all the feet
Nice trick
>>
>>2988807
But her art is good enough for what Cartoon Network needs. Not to mention her art is clean, consistent, and she probably was able to draw that picture fast. But her illustrations skills don't really matter because she's a storyboard artist.
>>
>>2988870
>Comparing a small waist frill to a skirt
>Using the movie where she spends half of it on land in a dress so it isn't even there
>Being too stupid to understand what overlapping fabric is.

Animating drapery like clothes and hair already increases the workload since they will flow with the slightest body movements and environmental factors. But having to add extra colors for whatever it covers as it flows makes it an even greater pain in the ass.
>>
>>2988870
AND it wasn't translucent in the TV series because of what a pain it is to animate.
>>
You have to be jewish as well. They won't hire you otherwise.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.