[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do beginners have a hard time seeing their mistakes?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 43kgm1lw.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
43kgm1lw.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
I always found it interesting when beginners are easily able to pick apart professional level art and yet oblivious to their own flaws. What is the cause of that? Which leads me to my second point. How do you ever know if you're good?

A year ago, my figures had some really bad proportions and back then it looked totally fine. I checked back on it recently and those horrible proportions were glaringly obvious. Sometimes I wonder what fucked up shit am I making right now that i'm completely oblivious too... not that i'm not seeing any of my mistakes.
>>
>>2977221
>beginners are easily able to pick apart professional level art
[citation needed]
>>
>>2977241
I think he means sometimes people who can't draw can still perceive good vs bad art and technical skill

But its a mix of 2 things.
1. they just don't care. as a beginner its more about you're actually drawing something, and it feels good to finish something. whether or not its pro level doesn't matter because they know they're not at a good level. so they rationalize it as good enough.
2. training your eye is a thing dumbass. someone who doesn't know what to look for won't see anything wrong.
>>
>>2977221
It's hard to see the mistakes you make on your own work when you've been drawing it for hours. That's why it is always recommended to flip the canvas every once in a while.
>>
>>2977307
You completely miss my fucking point, dumb ass. I've seen a lot of beginner level artists who clearly have trained eyes because they are able to articulately describe what's wrong with another artists drawing and yet you look at their stuff and it's like, are you even taking your own advice. For example, the beginner may be able to spot the anatomical flaws in another artists work but won't be able to spot those same flaws in his own.
>>
Knowing what's wrong doesn't imply you know what's right.
>>
It's something all of us as beginner artists go through I think. And if you draw at all, you're bound to receive false praise and encouragement from normie friends and family who "can't draw a stick figure". I remember thinking my art was the shit when I was younger, and my parents and friends thought so too. With that I continued to draw with it stuck in my head my art was good, and I grew up slowly learning my mistakes and realized at a point my art was terrible. And you'll always think your old art is terrible because you keep growing.
>>
>>2977335
this is the actual answer to op's problem.
just because you know x is wrong, doesn't mean you will a) see all flaws b)know what is actually right
>>
>>2977363
Yeah. Hence movie critics.
Some people are actively trolling though.
>>
>>2977315
see the first point.
they just don't care. because they're not capable of making the lines they want to make when they're doing it.
its easy to recognize whats wrong in someone else's work, its harder to actually put down the right things yourself.
>>
>>2977221
not just beginners, happens to everyone. just people with more experience have techniques to check their work, and make fewer mistakes.
>>
As a beginner I have no trouble spotting what's wrong in my drawings, it's not hard to notice that an arm is too long or muscles being misplaced.

The real problem is knowing how to fix it, I can erase and retry for ages before giving up and finding a reference to fix it.
>>
>>2977430
This is my problem too. I immediately know when something is fucked in my drawing but knowing how to fix it is an entirely different matter.
>>
Just because you know it looks wrong doesn't mean you know how to fix it
>>
If you know what's wrong with your drawing you often wouldn't make the mistake in the first place, so all the mistakes you do make are unrecognizable to you
>>
I have an easier time seeing my mistakes when I have many many many pieces to look at. I think it helps remove pride or ego barriers and makes me feel less invested in each work, easier to be critical without being negative. Also helps me forget both the process and the end goal/model so I know definitively I've done something correctly if I can remember the model by looking at the drawing, and if it looks unfamiliar I've done something incorrectly. Also illuminates habits.

May also have something to do with left vs right brain. Drawing and speaking are different hemispheres and it is rare that the two can cooperate efficiently. You may be ablebtk verbalize a flaw in art and not be able to translate that criticism into nonverbal/muscle memory, especially true for beginners who may not understand that you cannot think in words as you draw.

Read drawing on the right side of the brain, good info.
>>
>>2977307
>doesnt properly cite
>>
I'm a beginner with worse skill than shown in the OP.

I can recognize my problems, I don't exactly know the source or when it went wrong, nor do I know the solution
>>
>>2977439
What I find is that drawing it again from scratch can help. There is almost no point in an artwork if you can't do it again.
Also use a mirror.
>>
>>2977221
That's because you've gained new knowledge and it changed the way you see things. Now the next step is to work on how to fix it.

Learning drawing and painting is a lot of problem solving. If you don't see any problem it means you're not learning the right way.
>>
>>2977221
Knowing the problem and having the mechanical skill to apply the solution are 2 different things fampai

you know, drawing is a skill, and like every skill everybody sucks at the beginning and there is no shortcuts to getting decent if not practice
>>
>>2977221
As a beginner, let me look at OP's pic and see what mistakes I recognize, I haven't read the thread.

>Eyes too big (even by nip standards)
>Eyes to high on face
>Nose too small (and doesn't use negative space the way nip art does, it's just a scaled-down cartoon nose)
>Mouth too high on head
>Jawline disproportionate to nose/mouth
>Front clothing straps too flat

Roast me for passing over other obvious shit. I want to be sorted.
>>
We judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions
>>
>>2978376
That's deep.
>>
>>2978376
damn...
>>
The simple answer is when you draw something from scratch you get used to the way it looks, so it doesn't seem out of proportion.

Viewing a finished drawing fresh the mistakes stick out because you aren't used to seeing them

To get the effect of seeing a drawing 'fresh' the easiest way is to flip it. Digitally you can flip the whole canvas, but IRL you need to use a mirror. When the image is flipped your eye views it fresh and the mistakes stick out.

I'm of moderate artistic ability. I flip every drawing I do at some point and the result has been a dramatic increase in quality.
>>
File: cry.jpg (45KB, 509x467px) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
45KB, 509x467px
I'm totaly like this and I think the reason is that when I look at a professional artist's piece and see something wrong with an arm, I can tell how the arm is supposed to look as the rest of the picture is without flaw, and I have a good reference point on how it should be.

Now in my own work there are many flaws, and I can't see it clearly where it falls apart.

Spending some time away from the work and coming back with a fresh eye, and mirroring helps.
>>
File: 1477978941107.png (165KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1477978941107.png
165KB, 400x400px
>>2978376
rly makes u thnk
>>
The professionals make fewer mistakes so they are easier to spot. Noobs have so much to work on its overwhelming
>>
>>2977221
Just because you know what's wrong means that you can always do it right.

I'm able to see some of my flaws but i still can't fix them. And there is nothing fun in reading anatomy or perspective books in a non native language
>>
>>2978376
A good artist can do it both ways though.
>>
>>2977221
It isn't a thing that beginners do as much as it's something that people who aren't particularly critical of themselves will do. I only say this as someone who knews beginners who could easily see their mistakes and flaws, and were better for it because it allowed them to hone in on what they needed to work on.

If you aren't trying your hardest to see what you fail at, then of course you won't see flaws. It's mindset, not skill level
>>
>>2977335
>Knowing what's wrong doesn't imply you know what's right.

Yep, this. Peri mystikes theologias. Even the best movie critics like Roger Ebert or RLM produced only shitty movies.
>>
>>2977221
This is the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.