[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you practice drawing? Do you draw a person and call it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13

File: K1999.jpg (1MB, 1500x804px) Image search: [Google]
K1999.jpg
1MB, 1500x804px
How do you practice drawing? Do you draw a person and call it good? Or just a couple of poses a day? I do three faces and a body a day but I want to learn if anyone is doing it a smarter way.
>>
>>2977136
Guess that depends what I want to focus on and improve. I've filled whole pages with just hands, or noses and ears. Sometimes it helps to lay some tracing paper over the picture in the drawing book and trace the picture. I've had it where drawing from the reference picture wasn't quite doing it but when tracing something "clicked". Maybe training my hand how to move or something.

I like the quick sketch, the ones that are one or two minutes. Helps me to see the essential forms in a subject and get them quickly onto paper, like where's the center of gravity, what motion do I want to capture. Keep the pencil lines quick and light, and try using a pen. Drawing without the ability to erase I think is a useful learning tool.

I also think it's a good idea to learn the fundamentals from the most "neutral" sources possible. No comics or anime references; because then you're learning to draw people from someone else's style. If you can, date all your work and keep every drawing.
>>
File: bezz bezz.jpg (143KB, 1166x738px) Image search: [Google]
bezz bezz.jpg
143KB, 1166x738px
Honestly, OP, if you're drawing, you're practicing. I really don't think you can call any one process of improvement "smarter" or more efficient than another. If you want to git gud at a certain thing, do the thing. Just know that no one ever gets to that "good" point. There's always more to improve on.
>>
>>2977178
Doing master studies of great artists is an excellent way to learn you retard.
>>
>>2977136
Split your time into studies and creative work, in the first part read books, watch video lectures, read tutorials (tldr: practice your fundies) and expand your visual library with anatomy, animals and nature, mechs, vehicles, architecture etc.
In the second part combine stuff together, play with exaggeration and explore different styles, have fun.

That's the basic approach. Then you should narrow it down depending on your skill level, if you're a beginner, spend more time on lines and shapes, if you're advanced, focus on form and design and so on.
Don't do advanced shit if you don't know the basics, you'll be wasting your time. It sounds like common sense, but you can see it in the draw threads all the time.

Honestly I should just save this block of text and copy-paste it, 'cause this same question "how do you practice" comes up once a week at least and several times a week in smaller threads.
>>
>>2977210
How do you know if you're a beginner or not?
>>
>>2977222
go to draw thread, post work, get told to go to /beg/ ,thats how.
>>
>>2977223
I dunno i got a lot of mixed responses. I posted in the beg thread a while ago, 1 person said they liked my work, 1 person told me that i wasn't a beginner and then the third person said that I was indeed a beginner.
>>
>>2977206
I think you don't get my meaning. When someone's starting out and learning anatomy, it's good to use reference material that's as true to the human body as possible. Photos, drawings, whatever. When they're more confident with the basics, THEN start learning from other artist's styles. Like creating a solid foundation to build on.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 325x489px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 325x489px
I do studies from a bit more baroque sources. For some reason I don't trust modern ref because it has a looser feel than old etchings. They seem more permanent.
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 500x732px
It takes time to pull yourself away from "talking head" reference but it is good for comics sometimes.
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 960x720px
Something with basic unifying shapes can be good reference. It can easily be blocked in and assessed before filling in details. I tend to remove colours before recopying to see if the ref still works well in black and white.
>>
File: image.jpg (490KB, 2048x1539px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
490KB, 2048x1539px
>>2977273
Another very powerful triangular composition. You can sort of extend the foreground and exaggerate the railing.
>>
File: image.jpg (211KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211KB, 1024x768px
If you're arranging figures in a space you'll want to block in the scene first of all.
>>
File: image.jpg (197KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 1024x768px
>>2977284
>>
File: image.jpg (212KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212KB, 1024x768px
>>2977285
For a Japanese type of scene.
>>
File: image.jpg (355KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
355KB, 1200x1600px
In addition to anatomy or pose, you might add ethnic studies, monuments, expressions...
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 500x750px
Wardrobe is another great resource. Sometimes you'll find fashion or glamour reference with a high degree of expression, or even ethnic interest.
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 600x750px
Anything American with kind of a manga infusion. Something which delineates background. Here, I can take out regular con attendees and put in more interesting characters.
>>
>>2977245
No retard. It doesn't matter what your skill level is, you should always be studying your favorite artists. Who the fuck feed you that bs? I guarantee that if you look at any successful artists early works, they weren't boxes and anatomy practice, they were copies of their favorite artists. If you don't do shit you like doing, especially at the beginning, you're gonna quit.
>>
>>2977309
What's with the hostility dude? OP didn't mention studying any artists, he's talking about practicing anatomy. Sounds like he's trying to get a better handle on the basics. And for that it's better to learn from references that are as true to life as possible, especially faces and bodies like OP said. When you're just starting out learning the fundamentals from sources like anime and comic books can end up teaching you their techniques, and create bad habits that are harder to break later on.

What if I was just starting out and my favorite artist was Liefield? You think I should learn from him?
>>
>>2977788
>What if I was just starting out and my favorite artist was Liefield? You think I should learn from him?
of course, why wouldnt you ?
>>
>>2977245
>When they're more confident with the basics, THEN start learning from other artist's styles. Like creating a solid foundation to build on.

Reminds me of this post:https://warosu.org/ic/thread/S2901166#p2901503
>>
>>2977309
favorite artists? People still have those?
>>
>>2977136
I draw whenever I feel like it, and learn when I needed to draw something new.
>>
>>2978031
Have you seen Liefelds "art...?
>>
>>2977309

>t. 32 year old man drawing anime
>>
>>2978759
What that guy is saying applies even more for western comic book artists though. They usually all started out copying comic books and only much later started studying anatomy.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.