[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Passion

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1493178091445.png (62KB, 382x395px) Image search: [Google]
1493178091445.png
62KB, 382x395px
Am I just not passionate enough about drawing? It just seems like all the people who make it are either extremely disciplined or passionate. I still enjoy drawing but I never instinctively pick up a pencil. I kinda have to force myself, but once I get into the flow it's ok. I want to make comics but at this rate I'll never get anywhere. All I do is procrastinate all day. Is art even something I should pursue? I don't know anymore. I'm pretty young so hopefully this is just another phase.
>>
It's okay to like things other than art, you know. You need to be extremely honest with yourself. You feel distressed because there is a disconnect between what you think you want and what you actually want. I've been in your situation several times with other things. You think you should like drawing, but you really don't like it that much, because otherwise you wouldn't put off putting pen on paper. That's my interpretation, anyway. You'd have to think about it yourself. I don't think you draw because you enjoy the process of drawing, but for some other motivation (like "I want to make comics").
Again, don't be so caught up in your idealizations of what you *should* like. Be honest about what you really want to do. Explore other things. There might be something out there that lights a fire in you in a way that art doesn't.
With everything, though, you need some amount of discipline. Being serious about something isn't always fun. Discipline pretty much amounts to physically moving your muscles and getting up and doing the thing. Literally just do it. But if you have all these mental doubts of "should I really be doing this?" or whatever, then it's going to be harder. So first, convince yourself that whatever you choose to do is what you really want to be doing, and then do it.
>>
Have you ever made a conscious effort to draw for at least 30 minutes a day for 21 days straight? It can be hard at first, but that's about how long it takes to build a habit. When you aren't feeling it, you can stop after 30, but if you get into it just keep drawing until you feel done. Eventually you'll stop thinking about it, and it'll take less effort to get yourself to start, and then it'll just become a part of your day.

Also, make sure your drawing supplies are right in front of you so there's no illusory barrier between yourself and getting started. Even if it's just having to go across the room to grab a sketchbook. Put that shit right on your desk. Don't put it anywhere your brain can make an excuse to not think about it or pick it up.

It's not always about passion or discipline, but good habits. Good habits can be boring to build, but once you establish them it feels like less of a chore. Even some of the greatest artists don't always do art because they feel driven to do so, but because it's just become a routine part of their life, like showering or brushing their teeth.
>>
>>2976541
Number 1, you don't need to be a good artist to make good comics. You actually have to be a good storyteller and a good storyboarder.

Number 2, what you define as "making it" is entirely personal, and varies from person to person. It's defined by your own goals and standards. You should never let others dictate what this is, because it's your life to live and not theirs. For me, it's be famous and reach my peak potential, because I'm a highly ambitious individual, but others might find my extreme obsession for my craft excessive and pointless, and that's fine.

Number 3, confidence in your own work is important for an artist, especially as you develop, and learn to be more self-critical. Your own motivation genuinely affects your skill level, so you should always look towards those who are better than you as a means of motivation, and not discouragement. No matter how good you get, there will always be someone better than you. So you better learn to cope with that.

Number 4, art takes time. It takes time to create, and it takes time to learn. This isn't a race. And while it's encouraged you grind hard hours in the beginning, you should also only grind what's necessary for your own goals, but also realize that mad study is stupid, and you'll better learn things as you go along. You should grind hard hours DRAWING a lot, and applying any new things you've learned to your work.

If you're finding it hard to get into something, I suggest you do something more fun for a subject matter. Learning to splash in the fun stuff during the grind is always a great reminder of why you might have picked this in the first place, plus it's always a great reward.

Stick to it though anon, we all have our slumps, especially in the beginning, but the worst thing you can do to yourself is dropping it. Baby steps, and always look back at the progress you've made, no matter how miniscule. Keep at it, and in a year's time you'll have made a leap.
>>
>>2976613
cont...

Your first long term goal should be economic sustainability it gets much easier from there.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.