[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

Are there any accomplished artists here?
>>
>>2970162
no, this place is for 100% beginner and mediocre artists
>>
You can find a few in the social media thread.
>>
>>2970180
Basically this, it's more a place where people learn rather than where accomplished artists discuss their work
>>
>>2970162

i haven't accomplished shit
>>
>>2970162
There are plenty, I'm pretty popular on tumblr and Instagram. I only come on here to lurk.
>>
>>2970180
Well, has anyone been able to grind through the beginner stage and move on to bigger and better things?
>>
>>2970199
Yes, but those people didn't post here, they just browsed. And once they moved on they never came back.
>>
>>2970162
me
>>
Looking forward for all the "show your art/prove it" shitposting in this thread.

Sticking to the topic, no I am trash at the moment, trying to be less shit.
>>
>>2970210
I actually like it here. Even though 9 out of 10 people don't know how to give a helpful critique, everyone is still hyper-critical.

I like the whole, if you're not 1st you're last mentality. Is that weird?
>>
I've been in two shows and sold a painting before. Also received an award in one... that's kind of an accomplishment. Entry fees are the worst thing ever though.
>>
File: may-7-2017-1.jpg (886KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
may-7-2017-1.jpg
886KB, 1000x680px
im not accomplished but im quite good at it
>>
>>2970162

I've had my work redlined and painted over by very good artists here, professional tier.
>>
>>2970868
lol thats bretty gud
>>
>>2970249
nah, thats what got me into this place as well. Its one of the few places on me that is as critical of me as I am myself
>>
>>2970180
first post best post.

>>2970249
for some reason whenever I come here I feel the need to be the absolute biggest cunt possible.
>>
>>2970370
you are terrible. look at this crap. its just not funny anymore man im legitimately worried you sit in your home, eat oil paint and wait until you get to shit it out in a nervous breakdown while your mother is busy looking for you because you ran away again. please.
>>
>>2970210
They did post though.
Seems like a lot of you haven't been around her back when this place was actually decent.
We had guys like Algen, tehmeh and catbib who used to post here.
They've all since moved on because this place turned into a depressing toxic shithole thanks to all the autists who spent 90% of their time shitposting here instead of drawing.
>>
>>2970918
This kinda stuff is honestly hilarious. Gotta hand it to /ic/ for creativity.
>>
>>2970981
I've heard of Tehmeh and Catbib. And algen.. as in Algenpfleger?

Seen a lot of Tehmeh's posts in the archives. Never seen Catbib post, even in the archives.

Anyone in /ic/ these days that's making promising progress?
>>
>>2970984
Catbib just didn't post as much as tehmeh, and also never used a trip/name like tehmeh has a few times afaik.
I've seen a few good anons still post here sometimes, but I'm not around here enough to know if they stick around either.
>>
>>2970991
I plan to stick around for a while. Til /ic/ approves of my skills. If that's even possible..
>>
>>2970981
>>2970984
I've only seen algen post once in one of his diss threads. I think he was a /fit/izen over anything else

can't find the picture he posted, it was on my own hdd
>>
>>2971007
Can I see your art?
>>
File: 1494202445763.png (509KB, 539x700px) Image search: [Google]
1494202445763.png
509KB, 539x700px
>>2971037
Sure.

I posted this in one of the gens earlier. It's all I have atm.
>>
>>2970162
that lady who worked on apb used to shitpost here, idk what happened with her. wakkawa used to post work here for a while but i think his succubus girlfriend stole his soul.
lots of decent & fairly established people lurk and shitpost not as many make an effort to be known.

if the image in the op is yours, it's a very promising start and it looks like you're starting to understand a lot of fundamental stuff, your execution just is in that awkward growing phase. keep working hard and i think you could become very good.
>>2970984
catbib didn't really namefag iirc
>>2971035
hannes only came here a couple of times, that was around the period where the board really started to go to shit imho. it's not as bad these days, but it's not what it used to be.
>>
>>2971041
i'd encourage you to read alla prima if you haven't already and go to some life drawing sessions if there are any in your area. working with real skin will help your understanding immensely
>>
>>2971050
I've read it once before.

I can't really afford to go to life classes, though. Otherwise I'd be doing that. I can just draw myself though. So all is well.
>>
>>2971046
rip omochabox and her rake brush
>>
>>2970162
i am, sort of, i never post anything that could lead to me being identified here though because i work with children quite often and this is 4chan lol
>>
>>2970984
Ven occasionally posts on the boards, but check the discord, she's been more active there. Remember I started around the same time as her in 2014 but she improved ten times more than me.
>>
>>2971061
Wish I had someone to catch up to. I'd surely be a lot better by now.
>>
>>2971065
Catch up to Craig Mullins or Ruan jia.
I dare you.
>>
>>2971066
Okay.

I'll do my best.
>>
>>2971041
>namefagging
>drawing like Firez
shameful desu
>>
>>2971065
There are countless accomplished artists out there both dead and alive. You don't need to know someone personally to chase after their skill level.
>>
>>2971080
Okay, then here's another question.

Who's actually worth chasing after? I've seen people dog on Mullins, Jaime & RJ.
>>
>>2971489
That should actually be a personal question, that you ask yourself, depending on your art goals. There are many different kinds of "good," and it's all subjective because technique and stylization is vastly different from artist to artist, nevermind the fact that every artist aspires to be different things. The more you narrow it down the better, meaning you shouldn't make a huge list based on the likes of random anons. Take a few days to study other artists, both living and dead, and ask yourself what you like, what you aspire to be and what you want to do with your art. Randomly painting pictures is not a goal. It's just randomly painting pictures. What are you going to do with those paintings? What sort of job do you want to make out of it? The artists you should be aspiring towards, are those who make the kind of art you want to make, have (or had) the kind of job you wish you had. Are there truly no artists you admire?
>>
File: GreenElf.png (506KB, 539x700px) Image search: [Google]
GreenElf.png
506KB, 539x700px
>>2971041
Here's an updated version.
>>
File: 1494324454773[1].jpg (76KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494324454773[1].jpg
76KB, 1080x1080px
I have been featured in magazines, sold many arts, commissioned for album covers, logos etc, got a job at a design studio in my senior year of high school, went to college, now I make art for pleasure

This is what Im drawing tonight

I am here for the anonymity. I do not promote myself expect letting my email hang out in the open. I reject all money grubbing and work mostly under various online handles at the moment
>>
File: 1493736000463.jpg (270KB, 750x728px) Image search: [Google]
1493736000463.jpg
270KB, 750x728px
>>2972267
This is satire, right?
>>
File: 1445561205500.jpg (85KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445561205500.jpg
85KB, 500x500px
>>2972267
can we see your album covers or other professional works
>>
>>2970162
I'm doing freelance for Cd Projekt Red for some witcher stuff. I'm at least somewhat accomplished.
>>
>>2970162
I work on a fairly well known studio and still post here sometimes. I'm still young and don't consider myself "acomplished" but I think that living off of your art is already a big milestone
>>
You're all anons, though. Hard to follow a specific anon in a sea of anons.

Are there any current tehmehs or catbibs? I haven't seen anyone with a name who is actively going from beginner to pro lately.
>>
>>2973008
>>2974225
Do you know any artist that came from /ic/?
>>
>>2970162

i wouldnt consider myself "accomplished" but i've been working full-time in animation for a few years if that counts. i'm a background painter on a nickelodeon show.
>>
File: 1494050711080.png (143KB, 615x708px) Image search: [Google]
1494050711080.png
143KB, 615x708px
>>2974257
Why can't nickelodeon make good cartoons anymore?
>>
>>2974260

i ask myself that every day i go into work
>>
>>2974264
psst your show is shit? Just asking
>>
>>2970162
Been working as an illustrator and designer for 25 years, been published many times. I've also worked professionally as art director, and color correction/pre press. Publishing is my focus.
>>
>>2970162
I've been working as a freelance illustrator for 5 years now for various publications. I ticked off all the jobs I wanted to do when I was a beginner, except one. I dunno if that's accomplished, I still feel like I have a long way to go in many ways, both in terms of skill and achievements.
>>
>>2971046
>apb
woah.. i liked its artwork
>>
>>2972293

No. But I can see why someone here would think so. It's one of the reasons i like this place.

tonight drawing :
>>
>>2974473
BTW I am probably older than most here. For all you up and comers - please keep a holistic mentality and focus all your might on aesthetics.

You will benefit from technical knowledge but it will never make you succeed.

If you are tired of grinding anatomy or building constructions from shape templates or studying sight seeing rendering - well fucking quit it. Stop caring about it for a while. If you cant depend on your aesthetic intuition you have nothing. Nothing.

Learn to explore the beauty in your mind and how it relates to your output. Work your metacognition. Above all if you dont have good taste you will never progress.
>>
>>2974502
Is anime a good taste?
>>
>>2974509
Aesthetic output of the artist will determine if a style is in good taste. You can easily ruin idealized methods of creating illustration by emulating them in poor taste, but if you emulate them in good taste it will be self evident.

As an output for the consciousness of mankind anime has proven itself a ready conduit for beauty. Of course its obvious the style has been used for aesthetic debauchery time and time again. But I believe that speaks to the character of mankind and not to the inherent quality of anime itself.
>>
>>2974519
gdzie jest to że to też tasiemiec 8 sezonów
>>
>>2974519
style > substance

Are you saying we should aim for kitsch? My art teachet would kill you for an opinion like that. Aesthetics are secondary, expression is key. Everyone can create pretty art, it's all about smashing stuff together on the canvas for others to figure out what the fuck you meant with it. You won't makr it into galleries with this attitude.
>>
>>2974558
Kitsch is literally in poor taste. You are confused. Aesthetics are everything for an artist wishing to make it.
>>
>>2974558
>Aesthetics are secondary, expression is key

Fuck that modern art bullshit. Master craftsman can have aesthetics and expression. People who focus on "expression" can never reach high quality draftsmanship. And sad part is they don't want to. They are happy with smearing shit and calling it art.
>>
>>2974502
Quality post. Thanks anon I'll be saving this
>>
>>2974558
>Wanting your shit in galleries

Gee it's like you want to sellout or something
>>
>>2973008
Question: Why?

If you're looking for a name-based community dynamic, I don't understand why you're in /ic/. A lot of people here don't want to be identified and enjoy being anon, even if they're decent artists. And I know there are decent artists here because from time to time you'll see them post, they just never post frequently enough to stick out, because they don't want to stick out. Especially if they are already accomplished, because it can track them back to their real name, and they don't want that. They want to stay anon. People who want attention and trip or namefag are always fewer in number on this site.

Depending on your motives, you might be happier in a normal forum community than a site that thrives on its anonymity.
>>
>>2974626
Because everyone here is primarily anonymous, it means more people will post on average, even if they're pointless. You can get more exposure that way.

Everyone here is also super strict, which means you'll want to be doing your absolute best if you want people to take you seriously. I don't know of a better community than this one for art. Most people are overly polite, which is of no use to me as an artist attempting to improve. If you know of a forum with members as cutthroat and unforgiving as this, tell me all about it.
>>
>>2974634
That doesn't tell me why you're so obsessed with finding another tehmeh or catbib though. If you enjoy the anonymity, why are you seeking other namefags?
>>
There's plenty of good artists here. I am an artist that "made it", a couple of my co workers lurk here too. Don't really post tho, no one really wants to be related to this place. It's a cesspool of degeneracy. Good fun though.
>>
I'm super bummed out that my concept job was fake. That you guys just gave it to me because you felt bad or some shit. Kinda patronizing thinking about it now.

God I want to fucking die. My entire life has been a lie.
>>
>>2974639
It's not an obsession. I just asked a simple question. "are there any named artists here who are currently progressing" and you've so far only addressed my question with another question.
>>
>>2974634
Unfortunately this place is overly strict based on my observation. That makes it like any other site.

Overly polite sites compliment you give you bolshit feedback.

Overly Strict communities like this one will give artist nonsense feedback and just call it trash with no smart feedback.

The thing with these two is that they are community hiveminds which act on other opinions and not themselves. If you really want feedback and want to improve i strongly recommend finding a mentor or professional that isn't your relative or close friend. That in my opinion is the best way to improve by critique.
>>
>>2975313
It's practically impossible for any Internet random to get into contact with artists that A: receive so few messages a day that they can actually lay eyes on you, much less take you seriously and B: actually have the spare time to mentor you.

People say it like it's simple, but I don't think it really is. If I'm wrong, please educate me.
>>
>>2975323
How many times have you failed at it?
>>
>>2975368
I haven't tried, but how does that negate anything I just said?
>>
>>2975389
It doesn't, there isn't much to negate since it's an uninformed opinion, it isn't uncommon to hear of amateurs contacting pros and asking for feedback or help in general. But hey, I haven't tried it either.
>>
>>2974558
What you're saying to do won't make it into galleries, either. The gallery world has little use for skill or technique or meaning, it's all politics, it's who you know, and who you kiss ass to. The underground art scene places more value on technique, if you want a good place to start, Juztapoz magazine is good.

And, every teacher has their own opinion, and each is valid, for them. Art is what we each choose to make it. I try to have a balance of everything, making it pleasing to me, and a client, if there is one. I paint a landscape, "expression" is pretty meaningless in that context. Same for still life. But i can also do an illustration that has a specific narrative, then expression can kick in.
>>
>>2974605
Oh, the irony. In college, us illustration students were "sell outs" for doing work for hire, the snotty, snobby "fine art" students were better than THAT, getting theirdelicate hands dirty in commerce.

Now I see a try hard 4channer saying that wanting work in a gallery is "selling out".

LOL.

You can't make up humor like this.
>>
>>2975452
Juxtapoz, sorry.

https://www.juxtapoz.com/
>>
>>2974626
>Especially if they are already accomplished, because it can track them back to their real name, and they don't want that. They want to stay anon.

I'd love to link my professional portfolio, but not on 4chan. I'm not that naive, or stupid. I find is bizarre enough there's a forum here that actually tries to accomplish something.

I have work published that most of you might own, I've done some album covers that went gold and platinum. I have gold and platinum albums on my wall. I've also done book covers, magazine illustrations, and all kinds of stuff. I'm working on a graphic novel/kids book I intend to publish.

But no way I even hint who I am, here. I don't want my being here to be about that, and theres too many sketchy people here.

I like to teach. If real teaching wasn't so political and paid better, I'd probably be teaching in an art school, or at college level. I help out on several forums - and no, I'm not telling which ones. I had artists help me out in the beginning, and I'll pay it forward happily - especially when people are getting bad advice, like here.
>>
I've drawn designs for t-shirts for people. And they liked them. Am I accomplished?
>>
>>2975460

Thanks for coming to this wretched hive of scum and villainy and sharing your experience.

Can't promise I'll never accidentally call you a noob faggot who's never gonna make it. But regardless, thanks.
>>
>>2975460
>But no way I even hint who I am, here. I don't want my being here to be about that

Then why are you bragging about your accomplishments? Bragging is pointless if no one gets any credit for it.

>inb4 you asked everyone what they've accomplished

I also said I don't care what anons have accomplished, because I can't follow their work, or even see their artwork at all. Utterly pointless.
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-04-04 11.30.44.png (178KB, 628x636px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-04-04 11.30.44.png
178KB, 628x636px
>>2974257
all ive seen from you is that damn house post more
>>
shadman here xdddd
>>
>>2970162
What does this question even mean? What is accomplished?
>>
>>2978650
Did you go from being a beginner to being actually pretty good? That'd be an "accomplishment".

Didn't feel like I was throwing a profound question out there when I started this thread. But who knows, I guess.
>>
>>2970370
actually, its not bad. it shows an experienced hand. but it doesnt have to be totally messy just because its not all representational. the blue and black streaks on top of it are kind of unnecessary. its like you started off with some kind of landscapish thing and then scribbled over it. if you see things in them you should give it some substance and work it in more. do you do a lot of hatching when you draw?
>>
>>2979525
In that case, yes, I went from beginner to professional.
>>
>>2979525
Asking someone if they got good is a stupid question seeing as how most of these fucktards are dunning krugers.
>>
Biwer Vincent is making a living doing his work and I'm sure he browsed or still browses /ic/.
>>
>>2979967
Post your work
>>
>>2970162
>accomplished artists
>Artist
There's no artists here, only faggots who draw anime shit.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.