[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/IC/ improvement misconception

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: continual-improvement.jpg (52KB, 460x302px) Image search: [Google]
continual-improvement.jpg
52KB, 460x302px
Often times, on /ic/ you will hear the whole "oh if you just draw 16 hours a day for 2 years you can become a professional. There are many problems with this statement but one of the ones that aren't obvious is the fact that /ic/ doesn't count the "non serious years". The years where the artists were casually doodling.

Maybe they weren't making a lot of progress but that is still a shit ton of mileage were that artist was training themselves. For example, let's say someone was drawing casually for 15 years. Let's say casual= 2 hours per week. That would be more than 1500 hours of mileage vs someone who's starting from scratch with 0 hours. Moreover, you'll see more improvement when you span those hours over a longer period of time vs someone who's drawing 12 hours a day and gets the same number of mileage.

Sometimes, people will use vetyr as an example. "Oh vetyr has been drawing for 2 years and she's so good" Well actually vetyr has been drawing her whole life, she's just been serious for 2 years. Just something I want to point out because these statements tend to set unrealistic expectations for beginners.
>>
>>2968651

Shittly drawing anime on scrap paper, doesn't matter how many X years, is the equivalent to going bowling for the first time. A total beginner learning the right things can make circles around the person who has been drawing "all their life" because they don't have to unlearn things.
>>
>>2968655
For one thing, not everyone draws anime. Second, copying anime or anything else for that matter will improve your observation ability. If two beginners(one that has trained their observation ability for 15 years) and one that is starting from scratch starting studying properly at the same time, in one year who you think is going to be better? Saying you have to unlearn things implies that people who "train the right way" don't pick up bad habits. You're always going to have to "unlearn" things regardless of what you do.
>>
>>2968660
>For one thing, not everyone draws anime.
I did not mean to imply that. But that's the general avenue for most people (especially here) and saying otherwise is being ignorant.
>Second, copying anime or anything else for that matter will improve your observation ability.
For copying symbols and wrote memory.
>Saying you have to unlearn things implies that people who "train the right way" don't pick up bad habits.
That won't happen if you are being guided properly ala the "serious" part.
>You're always going to have to "unlearn" things regardless of what you do.
how can you unlearn when you did not begin?
>>
Everyone doodles, you stupid faggot.
The most annoying thing I see regarding art improvement is eternal sub /beg/ tier shitlords whining about their lack of progress even though "hurr durr I've been drawing literally since I was born". Yeah, you and the rest of humanity, you fucking cunt.

mindless fucking around =/= training
>>
Let's say you casually play tennis. But you kinda just thwack at the ball once every few months and have no idea what you're doing. You maybe do it twice or thrice a year with a buddy. A person who has never even tried to hit the ball will be at a disadvantage against you, but if that person was given any sort of instruction and knowledge that is more than "hit ball," let alone if they decided to train themselves multiple days per week, compared to the "once every few months" guy, they would likely very quickly surpass the casual that mindlessly thwacks ball every once in awhile. Thwacking guy would undoubtedly win at first. But after thwacking guys second or third game (he only plays a few times a year remember), he would be unable to defeat the practiced "newbie" who was trying his damnedest to succeed nearly everyday.

>Let's say casual= 2 hours per week
That's generous. When I "casually drew" I got maybe four pictures in a year, tops.

By the way, skills degrade. So someone who has "drawn their entire life" but stopped for a few years would actually get worse and not retain their skills. It's something you have to actively keep up with. And that's before we even get into the fact that it's impossible to gauge what "casually spent time doing" means since a person could pretty much draw once a year for an hour and it would be "casual" and they wouldn't learn shit from doing it. This is most evident when you realize there are some teenagers who draw better than old "veterans." This is would not be possible if "casual time" was worth so much. The disadvantage you're caught up is an illusion. You can surpass casuals if you just put in some work and then you'd understand if you realized how little they knew. To stress this "disadvantage" is akin to trying to victimize yourself and your difficulties, rather than focusing on your improvement. Eyes forward, the time difference is only a few months apart of honest study. You're underestimating how shit some casuals are.
>>
>>2968662
>I did not mean to imply that. But that's the general avenue for most people (especially here) and saying otherwise is being ignorant.

as if /ic/ is representative the artist community.
>For copying symbols and wrote memory.
Are you fucking serious dude? Being able to copy something exactly is the most important skill as an artist. You can learn form and perspective, but if you can't copying angles properly your work is gonna look like shit. There is a reason why most successful artist dare I say 100%, start off with symbol drawing for years on end before learning the other fundamentals.
>That won't happen if you are being guided properly ala the "serious" part.

You will always pick up bad habits you fucking retard. Doesn't matter if you're studying loomis 16 hours a day. You'll will always have mistakes in your work that you constantly repeat. Even pro level artists have bad habits much less beginners.
>how can you unlearn when you did not begin?

I'm obviously referring to after they begin, even if they are on the right track, detective sherlock.
>>
>>2968670
>There is a reason why most successful artist dare I say 100%, start off with symbol drawing for years on end before learning the other fundamentals.
Yeah because they love drawing mickey mouse or sailor moon. I guarantee 100% they didn't care about angels or feel the flow until they got a dosage of "your work sucks, read the sticky". They drew because they liked it and that is the case for almost everybody starting out as kids.

Someone like me watching mark crilley back in 07 was copying symbols. Did I know it was symbol drawing? Fuck no, but I drew anyway because I wanted to draw cute girl to hang on the fridge for mom so she can bake brownies for me. Of course at that time I knew about loomis and copied loomis because I wanted to get better but it wasn't THAT serious.

Which goes into this
>You will always pick up bad habits you fucking retard.
Picking up bad habits is natural and thats how you find style. Picking up bad habits when learning the fundis should be immediately corrected by a professional, that's what I'm talking about.
>I'm obviously referring to after they begin, even if they are on the right track
so you passively know this in the back of your head, my low intelligent anonymous friend.
>>
File: merc_wip.jpg (228KB, 776x1119px) Image search: [Google]
merc_wip.jpg
228KB, 776x1119px
>>2968651
Everyone in this thread, post your improvement
>>
>>2968674
Post work.
>>
>>2968676
see >>2968675
>>
>>2968675
will we ever see merc_final.jpg in our lifetimes?
>>
>>2968702
Trivia- merc_wip isn't a wip. It is the final.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.