[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Progress is so slow, is it even worth it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: Fanart.jpg (149KB, 600x799px) Image search: [Google]
Fanart.jpg
149KB, 600x799px
So I have been drawing my whole life casually and then 2 years ago I started training hardcore studying my fundamentals from ctrlpaint, hampton, bridgeman, yoh yoshinari, etc but despite this I just can't seem to get better, it's like i'm in a perpetual state of stagnation. I'm training like 6 hours day. I see people make fun of sycra's slow progress but I mean compared to that my progress is just embarrassing.
>>
File: 4.jpg (208KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
208KB, 540x720px
sketches
>>
>>2968388
>>2968389

Don't really have anything to compare it to, but I like the OP pic especially. Just flesh it out more and refine it.

It really depends on how you think of a goal like 'progress'. If you're one of those people who thinks of it as going from scratch to kjg, obviously you're going to be disappointed; however, if you can, step back and think of things in a daily fashion. Little things. Strive to improve on something different every day for a week, and at the end of that week, review your progress. Perhaps culminate everything you've worked on into an entire illustration. Step back and see how you did. If you're dissatisfied with something, strive to improve that something at the beginning of next week-- and so on.

I find that the most progress comes when you're not focused on the actual act of progression, but when you sit down and simply enjoy what you're able to achieve on a daily basis.

Anyway I hope this helps. Sorry for my English if there are any mistakes. I wish you luck OP, we're all gonna make it.
>>
>>2968388
>>2968389
>this level in 2 years
Amazing.

Maybe you've just lost sight of what to better. I always have stuff to better, so I'm always progressing. I often look at other artists's works to see what I would want to see in my own.
>>
>>2968388
I feel exactly the same but I realized that as long as I see progress there's no reason to worry. If I start to freak out about my slow progress I wont enjoy drawing that much and get even worse.
I see we are somewhere on the same level, sketches looking good but still having troubles creating finished work.
>>
Struggling with refining and finishing works seems to be a common issue for many artists. I have the same issue. Your work is great, though, just gotta find out where you want to take it.
>>
finish Nonon piece pls and ty
>>
File: learning-curve.png (7KB, 510x353px) Image search: [Google]
learning-curve.png
7KB, 510x353px
>>2968388
It is the nature of the beast. The better you get the slower further improvement comes. You just have to work, and accept that it will take longer to make visible progress than it did in the past.

Oh, and try to appreciate your skill level as it is, and do something cool with it, since you'll be at that level for quite a while.
>>
>>2968388
After 4 years I feel similar, I used to have a path of what to study, now it's less clear.

What you need is to organize your routine again. Maybe take and adopt the FZD curriculum, if you draw for 6h/day it might suit you. They describe it on their website, in Feng's design cinema and there was this anon who uploaded all her work from the school for us.
>>>2941332

If that doesn't suit you, take maybe.. a value and edge, the two main fundamentals of painting.
And practice that. A lot. Photo studies, master copies, only focusing on getting the values and edges right. Then use a very limited palette and do paintings that read well from a great distance. Slowly add more colors to your palette and start adding details into small areas, all the while studying books and video lectures.
Photo studies only work when you have a goal, like, today I'll study the edges, tomorrow I'll study the color combinations etc.
>>
>>2968459
That thread looks awesome idk how I missed it
>>
File: 1472030164678.jpg (119KB, 732x799px) Image search: [Google]
1472030164678.jpg
119KB, 732x799px
>>2968388
that's the level you're supposed to be at after that amount of time honestly. Personally I'm coming up on 3 and not quite at your level yet, keep on workin buddy
>>
Here is something I don't quite get. Why doesn't /ic/ count the"not serious years"?. There is a big difference between someone who has been drawing casually their whole lives vs someone who is starting from scratch, even if they are both "beginner" levels.
>>
>>2968444
What if you've been drawing for not that long and are improving at a snails pace.
>>
>>2968626
It sounds stupid to say you've been drawing for 20+ years and still suck.
>>
File: 02 - tF5xtUO.jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
02 - tF5xtUO.jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
>>2968388
bro have you ever drawn a carrot? or onion? or a 1978 moped? Just because you want to be better at people and chatacters you can't ge that without training your eyes to notice shades and how the relationship between shade and light define forms,

you're stagnating because you're not drawing from other sources besides what you want. just draw objects and fruits and veggies or your own hand or whatever else and you'll be on your way
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.