[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Haven't drawn for 4 years and lost all my skill

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: nVmguVn.jpg (216KB, 1494x1057px) Image search: [Google]
nVmguVn.jpg
216KB, 1494x1057px
So the file image is where my skill level was 4 years ago, roughly before I started attending college. Basically what happened was that before entering college, I was a nerd that drew a lot but after entering college I became a normie, attended lots of parties, fucked a lot of bitches and completely abandoned art since I only did art as an escape. Anyway, I'm done with college, got a degree in business and now I'm back to square one.

My girlfriend left me and because it was out of state, I'm not in touch with my friends anymore. I work a full time job at best buy and honestly I feel depressed all over again. So I figured, I'd go back to art to alleviate it. The problem is that I practically lost all my drawing skills. I've been practicing diligently for the last 6 months and I can't seem to get past this beginner stage(which i will link in my reply) wtf do i do?

At least back when I didn't have friends i was good at art. Now I have no friends, no gf and bad art.
>>
File: practice5_small.jpg (159KB, 914x678px) Image search: [Google]
practice5_small.jpg
159KB, 914x678px
>>
Thanks for the reminder. I will make sure to never let myself go like this.
>>
The canvas will never care for your past. If you care about this, it's your eternal duty to work until you are doing your artwork justice.

WTF do you do?

Grind and dont stop. Self examine, critique everything you do, and work hard. Nothing and no one will save or help you.

Begin working with that attitude.
>>
>>2965022
Whatever dude.
>>2965025
I am fucking working hard. I've been drawing like 6 hours for the past 6 months and i can't get past this fucking beginner stage. It's one thing when it's your first time in the beginning stage it's another thing when you've already past it. It's like i was sprinting marathons 4 years ago and now I can barely walk. Fuck this is so depressing. I've been contemplating suicide.
>>
>>2965009
I'm going to need a timestamp with today's date and your old work before i can believe you.
>>
>>2965029
I would've actually thought you'd be able to get back to your level in the matter of a month or so. What did you smoke in college to forget literally anything? If >>2965011 is your progress after 6 months, I think you're doing something wrong. Even someone just starting out with no prior knowledge should be better than that after a few months, especially with the time you spent. It's obvious your learning methods are shit. Time to step back and overthink your methods. Work smarter, not harder. Maybe it's time to re-read some books on the subject matter or attend a course to get back in shape.
>>
>comparing charcoal life drawing to a sketchpad.

If you want a broad gesture, use non-photo blue pencils... If you want finesse, get a .5MM mech pencil. Maybe use them in combination with each other. Drawing can be a great way of relating to other people, you can make a lot of friends just by spending a few weeks mall drawing. Especially around Valentine's and such like when people become kind of clingy. Just ply them with food court food and best buy specials, show them what you're working on and ask for their feedback. You'd be surprised to see how many people are overjoyed to see themselves drawn and how much contact the average person seeks out with a random artist. Malls can be really impersonal, but that's not often true when you're drawing.

With respect to your art's quality - a note is a note, not every memo has to look like the U.S. constitution. Doctors don't make everything they write legible and you shouldn't feel as though you must.
>>
>>2965029

You sound far too emotionally weak to make it. Your ego is larger than your accomplishments. You are just waiting to be good instead of making it happen.

Tear yourself down and start over. Im talking rise of the phoenix shit.

Right now you are carrying too much baggage to progress.

How you do all of this is your business. None of us can personally guide you.
>>
>>2965011
seems about the same, add some shading etc
>>
>>2965042
WTF is all these bullshit?
>>
File: 1490352526765.jpg (125KB, 1224x1445px) Image search: [Google]
1490352526765.jpg
125KB, 1224x1445px
>>2965029
Stop romanticize the past like a faggot, that ship has long since sailed. Now is the time that you be making piece reality and start building yourself as a new artist, and unless you were making money off you stuff back in the day you're setting yourself up for failing to believe that you old work was actually that good.

What you gotta do is make art into your favorite past time. Look in learning something you use to avoided. Stpp crying about 'muh wasted time', 'muh old stuff.' Actually look for errors in that shit you've been praising and avoid that mistake in your new pieces. Stop fucking figure drawing like a robot, and do some shit you actually like. And if you still think you suck drawing that much get a box of crayons and fucking humble yourself because at this rate you will never make it.
>>
>>2965061
Its some shit you cant handle faggot. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Art isnt a thing you opt into. Stop thinking you can get magic feel better advice on the internet. Work more or give up.
>>
OP is a filthy liar
>>
>>2965009
seriously dont come back to art. Art isnt some cheap whore you settle for just cause your time as a chad is over. if you wanna quit then quit.
>>
>>2965009
picrelated
>>
>>2965071
bullshit.
>>
>>2965073
worked for zappa
>>
>>2965071

dont mind me sketching some what i see
>>
I can relate to what you're saying OP, to a certain degree. I stopped drawing for two years or a little more than that, got back to it a few months back. I kept thinking "how the fuck did I get so bad" because I felt like I was much better before. I even tried doing the same exercises, feeling bad for myself that I couldn't replicate my old drawings.

But then I searched for my old sketchbooks and found the sketches. They weren't THAT good. I found out the only thing I kind of "lost" was my observation skills, didn't need to measure much because I could eyeball and get pretty good likeness back then. But I realized I had to go back to step one and do some measuring.

Why I feel like you're lying? There's no way you've drawn for 6 months and haven't gotten your old "skill" back. There's no way your lines are so scratchy at the moment when they were fluid back then. No way you lost all meaning of form. It's either you're lying to us or you're lying to yourself. Go find your old skechbooks.
>>
>>2965009
Consider working on learning the sight size method for a while. It's your observational skills that are lacking.
Going to an atelier for a couple months or downloading Charles Bargues book and printing out the plates to follow his course will get you back up to par pretty quick.

Just don't forget to practice construction and imaginative drawing at the same time.

I stopped drawing much for the last month pretty solid. Missed deadlines for client work and got really depressed, feel like I can't draw at all when I try.
Not as far down as you OP but I get the frustration. Regardless keep up the grind and switch your method of study and focus and you'll get those skills back and then some.
>>
>>2965068
kek what
>>
>>2965009
How are such wide, stroke-free areas of shade made? Is it the side of the charcoal?

>>2965087
This is kind of it, sure the OP is great but there will be awful drawings from that period too
>>
>>2965087
>Why I feel like you're lying? There's no way you've drawn for 6 months and haven't gotten your old "skill" back. There's no way your lines are so scratchy at the moment when they were fluid back then. No way you lost all meaning of form. It's either you're lying to us or you're lying to yourself. Go find your old skechbooks.
he is not lying

I had of break from drawing for 4 years, and when I tried to get back into it my lines were eighter too dark, too light, or too uncertain, too shaky, or too straight, while in my old drawings my lines were smooth and consistent, and proportions were good even though they were just eyeballed after seeing once my subject

it's not skill which we lost in that time period, but mindset

a child approximate everything all the time, he measure and compare and shit, while in school we are teach that ''around 40 is not good and we have to say exactly how much 7 times 6 is''. Doing that for hours for a few years changes your mindset and when you will try to draw again you will try to measure everything perfect and you will try to explain everything, and when it the result is unsatisfactory you will try to recheck the formula, ''maybe there is a equation or number you missed''

I notice that with kids too.

kids which are left by themself didn't lose that constant comparison mindset, they are good at eyeballing and try to attempt what I do right away, but kids who were constantly taught to ''give the right answer'', will constantly stop to ask you for explanation on how you do it
>>
>>2965144
Yes, side of charcoal
>>
>>2965011
draw larger
>>
>>2965009
There's no problem anon. You were pretty shitty even before losing your skills. Just start from scratch. It's not gonna be as hard as before and you'll reach the shitty level from 4 years ago in no time.
Then it'll be time to actually acquire some proper skills.
>>
>>2965046
are you retarded lol. That picture lacks anatomy, gestures, weight, fundamentals

You don't lose a sense of fundamentals in that time. Shut the fuck up and be honest with yourself, you were nowehere near the skill level displayed in the thread picture.
>>
>>2965309
Both pictures lack anatomy, gesture, weight, fundamentals. Hence, they look about the same.
>>
>>2965029
>I am fucking working hard
No need to get upset on the boards.

>I've been drawing like 6 hours for the past 6 months and i can't get past this fucking beginner stage. It's one thing when it's your first time in the beginning stage it's another thing when you've already past it. It's like i was sprinting marathons 4 years ago and now I can barely walk.
You make it sound like you were astronomically good before. You weren't, though. Still a beginner.

>Fuck this is so depressing. I've been contemplating suicide.
That's pretty pathetic, man. Downright.
>>
>>2965009
Tfw in the same boat as you expect for all the partying and being a normie stuff. I just focused on writing but plan to get back into drawing very soon.

I haven't done any serious drawings yet, just little sketches mostly because I'm afraid to see just how bad I am.
>>
>>2965009
So you mean this image represents roughly your skill level you were at, right? Or are you saying you literally drew this 4 years ago?
>>
>>2965071
Is this a real quote?
Cause it's true.
>>
the normie lifestyle ruined art for you
now you're a sparklet for life. sorry!
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.