[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are books on sculpting so hard to find?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1443359558017.jpg (135KB, 721x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1443359558017.jpg
135KB, 721x1081px
Why are books on sculpting so hard to find?
>>
That's why "Anatomy for Sculptors" was kickstarted.
>>
>>2961322
Also video tutorials. Can't find any that are worth.
>>
>>2961322
Sculpting isn't as accessible as drawing. Not even kidding, it requires more tools, more space, and is more intimidating, so less people get into it.

But a lot of the skills that make for good drawings will help you make good sculptures. Gesture and anatomy especially are gonna do a lot for you.

Anyways, there was a tutorial on ConceptArt.org but the images are gone, so here's a link to an archive. http://floobynooby. blogspot .com/2010/08/3d-maquette-tutorial.html
>>
>>2961322
bump this shit i want more stuff on sculpting too
>>
File: 51OGSiqp8GL.jpg (45KB, 389x500px) Image search: [Google]
51OGSiqp8GL.jpg
45KB, 389x500px
Anyone got scans for this and other books by Philippe Faraut? Heard he's good.
>>
Because 3D sculpting is the shit these days or something.
>>
>>2962947
why is /3/ the deadest board next to /i/ then
>>
>>2962953
Everyone goes to school for that shit instead of F5 4chan like the rest of us.
>>
>>2961461
not true, i mean it may be more intimidating but it doesn't require more tools or space than anything else.
>>
>>2962967
You can draw with a sketchbook and a pencil. Drawing has the lowest bar for entry of any medium, hell, you can find the materials in most likely every single home in the US.

Sculpting requires at the very least some sort of base to attach your sculpture too, wire for armature(which means wire cutters), and clay, to say nothing of sculpting implements. Yeah, you can sculpt with your hands alone, but you'll never be able to do as much as you can with those implements, which is why I think they really are something worth investing in. Fine detail especially benefits from good tools.

And a sculpture will always take up more space that a sketchbook, because sketchbooks are efficient uses of space and can be easily stacked in a pile. You can't do that with a sculpture - if your sculpture is 10x15x12 inches, it doesn't fill that entire space, but it requires that entire space. A sketchbook may be 10x12x1 inches, and it fills that entire space, with a hundred drawings. One sculpture takes up enough space for a lot of sketchbooks, each of which will hold a large number of drawings. Three dimensional works take up a whole lot more space simply by virtue of being three dimensional rather than two dimensional.
>>
>>2962999
You can make sculptures from paper
>>
>>2962999
you are silly, ain't heard of plasticine?
>>
>>2963004
Unless you're talking about paper mache, which requires at the very least flour and water, that gets into a unique skillset that most people don't have and is arguably way harder to do effectively than sculpting in clay.
>>
>>2963007
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Plasticine is still clay, and tools are still extremely helpful, and anything beyond a certain size will likely require an armature.

You can reuse it, but that's true of modeling clays in general, but then if you do want to keep a sculpture, you need a whole other set of tools for molding and casting. And you still need the space for the initial sculpture and any completed sculptures. Polymer clay has the advantage in that you can easily just bake a piece of call it done, and if you finish something and it's not to your liking, you can just tear it down and start over.
>>
>>2963007
that's like saying you can draw with crayons

yeah you can, but the range of stuff you can achieve with that is very small compared to pretty much anything else
>>
>>2963058
But you can drawn with crayons. They're basically a crappier oil pastel, but you can still do great things with them.
>>
>>2961322
Try asking places that deal a lot in 3d modelling. There professionals often sculpt out stuff in clay.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.