[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad habit or not

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: empress.jpg (690KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
empress.jpg
690KB, 1920x1080px
I find it enjoyable to draw using references, basically copying down a piece of art. I don't trace the art at all, but I study the linework and attempt to recreate it. An example of this would be pic related. Is this a bad habit or a good way of practicing and studying the use of different art-styles?
>>
File: shitty doodle.jpg (908KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
shitty doodle.jpg
908KB, 3264x2448px
And this is my recreation...
>>
Studying the linework is the to git gud. You're gonna make it. Keep at it.
>>
>>2960764
thanks, thats encouraging.
I'm just concerned that i'm giving myself too much of a crutch if i'm directly copying other's work.
>>
It'll improve your linework if you do it, but don't rely on it too much. If it's a comfort zone thing, feel free to do that kind of stuff between studies and creative exercises.
>>
>>2960773
Studying lineart is great. It can help you get a feel for what exactly the original artist did and why. If you're not drawing anything ever from imagination, you should start. Gestures, doodles, whatever. The important thing is that you keep doing SOMETHING, and if right now that's studies then so be it.
>>
Nothing wrong with studying what inspires you man, i mean some peoples job is to draw thousands of frames in someone elses artstyle
>>
File: rebelka-study.jpg (213KB, 878x810px) Image search: [Google]
rebelka-study.jpg
213KB, 878x810px
its fine. i do it when im art blocked to stay active, because you dont get better by not doing things. just dont do it too much. i also never post it anywhere because when youre copying something to study it thats 100% for yourself.

this jakub rebelka pic had nice colors on it and i just wanted to paint/render something and skip all the design and composition parts. sometimes you do a study to understand the specific angles of lines and sometimes you wonder if you can get the same colors by blending layers together.
>>
It's good as long as your art creation doesnt revolve around it. Make sure you create your own shit on the main because copying won't give you an identity or a brand and you'll fall behind your technical skill.
>>
I find it enjoyable to smith using references, basically copying down a piece of iron. I don't recast the weapon, but I study the hammerwork and attempt to recreate it. Is this a bad habit or a good way of practicing and studying the use of different smith styles?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.