[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NY drawing classes

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1492205063695.gif (595KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492205063695.gif
595KB, 480x360px
are there any actual drawing classes I can attend to? all the ones no find on Google are just paid sessions where you copy a figure to draw and that's it. I want lessons and guidance man.
it would be a plus if there's any in Brooklyn
>>
>>2959200
There are private tutors which are shit expensive. The intelligent thing to do would to take a class at your local CUNY. If you're from here you get charged in state tuition so it'll be like 950 for three months of instruction. I highly recommend doing it this way. College classes at CUNY are you get what you give. The schools are amazing resources if you put in the effort to bleed them dry. If you go in and do a half ass job you will have wasted money.

That being said don't knock the figure drawing thing. I pay for spring studio twice a week and its improved my drawings like no teacher has before.
>>
>>2959200

Maybe you can search for a university and just attend to class and pretend that you are part of it

I did that in my university, I just pretended I was part of the class and nobody noticed. I took 4 drawing courses with good teachers and greats models that way

But I'm not form the US
>>
>>2959215
I got accepted to York, Medgar Evers, City tech, and kingsborough for computer programming. I wasn't sure if I should pay for the expensive art schools
>>
>>2959221
You shouldn't everyone I've ever met who went to one has regretted it. Art (like everything its just more in your face in art) is all about how much work you put in. No teacher can make up for your lack of work. No expensive college can keep you afloat after you graduate (and they wont even try). If you want to make art you have to make art. Its shit to tack on a 200,000 dollar price tag.

Only advantage is contacts and being surrounded by people who make art, but very few people are serious these days. I would actually argue that you would find more serious people at a CUNY just because they consider themselves at a disadvantage and work hard to overcome that. (Thats the ideal but I haven't met anyone in my classes who was really serious about it like I am. I have met a recent grad who was cool though.)
>>
>>2959221
Also, i guaranfuckingtee you that being liberated financially will be way better for anything you do in life than getting some dumb degree. I know so many people who could be years ahead in their artistic development but have spent so much of their time and energy making money to pay off their debts. Theres a reason 80% of famous artists were rich kids.
>>
>>2959244
>Theres a reason 80% of famous artists were rich kids.
What about the present days? Sure that may have been the past, but what about today?
>>
>>2959246

Still the case. Dude its common sense. Art requires a large initial investment of time and money without any surefire promise of returns. Thats exactly the kind of game only rich people can play.

Look you can be poor and make it as an artist. But its a hell lot easier if youre not poor. Youre selling art. Not a sob story, no one is going to give a shit if you were homeless when you made your art until they write your retrospective book. Until then the only person it will matter to is you. The starving artist thing is an idea only held by non artists. You do not make better work when you are under societal and psychological stress. You make good work when you fell good

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-rich-kids-afford-work-art-world
>>
>>2959215
>>2959221
Are we the same person OP

I've only been able to join pretty lackluster programs so far that don't teach effectively. Basically just show up and get Cre8ive!1! Even if your work is pretty shitty, they hang it on the wall in a gallery and act like it has otherworldly depth.

If you don't find your answer, just remember the internet is a powerful tool
>>
>>2959250
my main motivation us that I wanna do it for fun and make cool fanart and fan comics. >>2959246 is not me btw.
>>2959276
what programs were they?
>>
>>2959415
Ah ok thats a different goal. Sorry I was coming at it from the fine arts perspective.
>>
>>2959494
....is my goals bad? I wanna get really great at it but I wanna do it for fun
>>
I'm going to Repin for the summer school in July

Any /d/ic/ks would like me to blog about it?
>>
>>2959415
I do a lot of fanart (while I do have aims to do industry-level stuff) so I totally get you. But if you want to do it as a hobby, you basically have all the time in the world and can pace yourself. Take some community college courses if you can, but home studying should be enough.

There's also really no need to go to an atelier or academic style art class (like spending 30 hours on a Bargue plate) because you're going to be mainly doing construction and work from imagination. Start with thinking in shapes, and then as you feel more comfortable, look at stylized artists you love and just start taking them apart to understand how to replicate it yourself.
>>
>>2959652

Me. I'm very envious of you. How long are you going? I'm actually attending an atelier abroad for three weeks this summer as well but nothing as renowned as the Repin academy.
>>
>>2959415
It probably won't be much help since they're mostly for high school students and lower
While I was in hs, I did Smack Mellon's art ready program. First half is field trips around the city as a group, visiting artists' studios. Second half, being a mentee to one of the artists you visited.

I mean it's cool being exposed to all these different types of artists and seeing how they work, but I was looking for instruction on how to y'know, get better. The mentorship was basically just travelling to their studio and working on something alone while they were painting their own piece. Also dabbled in Joan Mitchell Foundation programs here and there, hearing about them from people at smack mellon.

Again, not so great in the learning art aspect you're looking for.
I've personally just decided to learn art from books and the internet for now.
>>
File: moeanatomy.jpg (627KB, 1270x724px) Image search: [Google]
moeanatomy.jpg
627KB, 1270x724px
>>2959659
Just a month, for July. It's 1350 yuros, which is decent by my estimations.

You're going to one of those Italian ateliers? I think they're mostly sight-size, and I'm a construction based guy, which is what Repin is well known for.
>>
>>2959215
>local CUNY
a-anon that's illegal
>>
>>2959748
really?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.