[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /ic/ I go to a 3D visual effects school and next term I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1397285648275.jpg (44KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
1397285648275.jpg
44KB, 500x352px
hey /ic/
I go to a 3D visual effects school and next term I'm supposed to be learning Maya. I need a computer that can run Maya successfully, preferably a laptop for portability because I like to go to cafes and shit to work sometimes.
The problem here is that I'm an industrial strength retard when it comes to technology and I don't know anything about computers or anything about Maya at all.
Can anyone recommend me something? I don't give a shit about price. Sorry if this thread breaks the rules or if I should have taken this question to /g/.
>>
just get a macbook you retard
>>
>>2958708
This
Works for everything art related
>>
>>2958708
I have one.
I can actually run Maya on this thing? It's a 7 year old macbook btw
>>
>>2958713
no, get a new one. if you're this tech illiterate it's your only hope
>>
1. /3/ is a thing you know, they can answer a lot of stuff about 3D.

>>>/3/

2. I don't know how much you want to go into 3D, but AFAIK 3D artists have really strong PCs and big screened monitors (projectors in extreme cases).

I don't know if it is feasabile to go mobile for 3D past amateur stuff/low poly.
>>
>>2958726
holy fuck I had no idea that board existed

I need a new computer in general I think. My school has computers I just don't know how powerful they are. I think I need something mostly for learning and getting the hang of 3D programs and I suppose when I get a job in it I'll probably be provided with a computer to work on professionally in whatever cubicle I find myself in.
>>
>>2958733
Don't get a macbook. If you have to get a laptop, make sure it a has a good i7 processor. Ask on /g/ and /3/ for more info.
>>
>>2958733
I used to be /3/.

Build yourself a desktop. The computer is your brush, and you should know what it's made of.

Also, for the same amount of money, it will be at least 2x as powerful. You'll be glad for ghe power when greebling, sculpting and rendering. Spend the extra on an intuos.
>>
Dude, you might consider waiting before getting a computer. If your school has computers for running Maya and other 3D programs, you might just do your work there and save yourself the money. I'm in school now and I thought about building my own desktop to have a good computer to use for school work, but it 100% would've been a waste of money for me because the school has like $6,000 Mac Pros or some shit that run Maya like a dream.

I'm not saying "Don't buy a kick ass computer," I'm just saying to wait and see if you actually need to get one or not.
>>
>>2958704
No laptop. If you must, at the very least you'll want a proper quad-core i7 (not the low-power dual cores they stick in most laptops) and dedicated GPU.

Build a PC with an i7 and enough RAM to spare, get yourself a decent monitor if you don't have one already, and spend the rest of your budget in the GPU. Most of your rendering is going to be CPU intensive, don't go off buying a Quadro/Firepro unless you know why you need it or just have tons of money to burn.
>>
>macbook
Good joke, costs a metric ton of gold and the number of times I've seen people take them to maintenance is ridiculous

Ideally, you'd want:
core i7 (or processor of 2.5gHz or higher. note that not all i7s are equal bc old gen, newer gen)
16gb ram
256gb SSD

Note that depending on screen size, will almost certainly weigh over 2kg.
Also consider gaming laptops, which tend to have good specs, be great for handling heavy graphics, 3d software.

Finally, consider just building your own desktop pc, incredibly customisable, and even older gen will outdo most laptop processors (which are built for portability) easily
>>
>>2958708
macbook pro 15. It'll do everything you need it to and you'll never have any problems. minus the annoying lack of ports.
>>
>>2958708
>Get a Mac
Are you trying to keep him from succeeding?
>>
>>2958704
>industrial strength retard when it comes to technology
3D isn't for you.
Seriously, 3D is the most technically demanding art-form by a staggering amount. You need to re-evaluate your education as soon as possible.
>>
>>2958711
>>2958708
hahaha
the "mac is best for artistic stuff" meme
Don't mix up brand image and actual technical stuff, sheeples
Stay retarded and broke
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.