[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those of you who have experience with Bargue, how was it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: bargue.jpg (691KB, 2000x1480px) Image search: [Google]
bargue.jpg
691KB, 2000x1480px
For those of you who have experience with Bargue, how was it? Is it good? Or does it leave you as some copy-machine like Proko?
>>
>>2958116
It's good but yes, it teaches observation and control over your medium. You won't become able to magically invent things from your head because of it. Use it as training for your eye and for understanding values and edges and things.

Also be aware that modern ways of copying Bargue are different than historical ways. Do what makes sense for you.
>>
>>2958121
>Also be aware that modern ways of copying Bargue are different than historical ways
???
>>
Sight size is a modern invention. But depending on how you look at it, even Bargue is pretty modern. The plates were published in late 19th century. That's hardly historical.
>>
File: tintoretto_head_vitelius.jpg (2MB, 1879x2500px) Image search: [Google]
tintoretto_head_vitelius.jpg
2MB, 1879x2500px
Wouldnt it be more logical to actually buy a bust and then draw that instead of a plate.
>>
>>2958116
Good training of the eye and introduces.
>>2958424
Bargue shows you the process. It shows you the stages from a really blocky beginning to a not so blocky drawing and then finally a fully rendered drawing.
>>
>>2958116
Good practice for observation and hand and eye coordination. You really need to take your time and make it as accurate as possible for it to be a good practice.

For you to not be like proko you have to balance the studies and drawing from imagination using the things that you learn from your studies. It's obvious proko rarely do imaginative drawing. But, if he take time to practice he'll be able to do it in no time. He already have a good foundation.
>>
>>2958131
When it was invented they were basically homework sheets that would be copied by students at home (or sometimes in class). You'd go through a whole bunch of them and just sorta copy it out. Nothing special.

Now people spend 100+ hours on a single plate and will only get through maybe two of them before moving on to something else. A lot of the sight size stuff was not used back then either, at least not in the way it is used now.
>>
>>2958121
>observation and control over your medium.

This. If you think you have it but havent ever done a bargue or a cast, you're lying to yourself.
>>
>>2958116

I thought that it was more helpful to me for beginner drawing than Drawing by the right side of the Brain and Keys to Drawing. I'm a different type of learner though. I learn from doing instead of reading theory because theory flies over my head. You get a lot out of it if you don't do it hastily. I did one plate per day with focus.

You won't learn how to imagination draw, but you will learn how to do nearly accurate studies in a short amount of time. As well as notice errors.
>>
>>2958116
The sight sized method has horrible limitations, but I thought doing these was good to train your eye for suble detail and most of all it trains your patience. I want to do one or two of these again.

What paper do you guys like to use for them? I always wondered what the ateliers use for the Bargue drawings.
>>
It is a good exercise, like anons said before, it shows you the process you should follow when you draw from life, it is kinda tedious but it is worth it if you want to learn how to control your patience and see how far do you go in a piece until you consider it "done"
>>
What Bargue tutorials do you guys recommend ?
>>
>>2959553
>shows you the process you should follow when you draw from life

>learn how to control your patience and see how far do you go in a piece until you consider it "done"

This is like the single most important lesson /ic/ needs.
>>
>>2958116
Sight size is a trap. Go for construction.
>>
/ic/ would do well to take one Bargue plate to completion (using either sight size or comparative measurement) before crying about how it's a 19th meme.

A few notes:

They are great for seeing how complex shapes can be simplified. The book is mostly statues of organic forms, and offers a reasonable process to drawing what is in front of you.

The hard part at first is wrestling with your eyes. Because you have a reference drawing in front of you, you will spot errors as you go along. You'll feel dread that you've identified something is off but you don't want to fix it because it means undoing an earlier work that you're happy/proud of. But it must be done. This is a lesson in combating loss aversion.

Once you can "see" shape, angles, lengths of lines and their relations, next hard part is learning to "see" form analytically. You will not be able to see all the gradations and turning of the form until you can visualize in your head what a thing ought to look like given the light scenario and the other forms that overlap it. Once you can do this, you can find them in the reference drawing quite easily.

Rendering process is the most time-consuming but least demanding mentally, I find. This seems to be common among artists - once the hard parts are over you can relax and do the menial chore without much stress.

Lastly, the way to speed up and go from 100+ hours down to 20 hours is to skip using the cartoon block-in, and go directly for the full rendering, massing in all the shapes and forms with quick strokes to get the correct values as quickly as possible.

All in all, very good exercise.
>>
>>2960485

this.
>>
>>2959272

Canson Mi-Tientes or Fabriano Artistico for pencil drawings, Fabriano Roma paper for charcoal, using nitram brand of charcoal.
>>
>>2958116
How do I get my values so consistent and smooth? Is this done on a computer or what?
>>
>>2958116
What are these "plates" you say?
Isn't it just a step by step tutorial of a rendering process or am I missing something. Are they physical plates or can you do this from digital pdf?
>>
>>2962101
femmy cuck touch
>>
>>2962112
They were originally physical plates now they come in a book. You dont copy them from the book or from digital because theyre supposed to be larger. It says in the book to scan them and blow them up. I dont remember how big but off the top of my head 18x24 sounds good.

This sounds like a pain in the ass but your choices are to do it or to miss out on a very useful excessive that will aid you in being better at what you ostensibly want to spend your one and only life doing. So its up to you really.
>>
>>2958116
it's very very useful, probably the most useful thing you can do early on.
>>
>>2962112
a plate is just what a full page illustration in a book is called lol
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.