[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips for transition from acrlyics to oils

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: acccrylic.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
acccrylic.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
Im a dilettante working with acrylics for a bit now,

but i realize i want/need more working time for my artwork.

question for oils:

will cheapo student oils do fine as cheapo acrylic oils

what are some mediums used for oils?

i mostly paint on gessoed and sized plywoods, will this be fine for oils
>>
Just get maimeri classico paints. The highest price:quality ratio. Although it's a bit inconsistent in quality because it's only oil+pigment.

It's difficult to give information on what medium you should use because it depends on how you want to paint, and can get very specialized.

What do you mean by gessoed and sized? Sized with what? Gessoed with what?
>>
>>2958033
>Just get maimeri classico paints.
Lots of multi-pigment colors, though. Classico is decent, so is Van Gogh and so are a few of the Winton colors.

I think you'd be better off starting with a limited palette of good quality paints like W&N Artists, Rembrandt, Schmincke Norma, Maimeri Artisti, etc, and then buying more colors as you get comfortable with your paints. You can somewhat mitigate the high cost of artist-grade paint by buying mostly series 1 colors and avoiding the more costly pigments.
>>
>>2958106
Just don't get the ones labeled hues, and it's about the same as most lines of paint.
>>
>>2958033
gessoed with gesso and sized with glue one would assume lol. (not op to be clear)
>>
File: quinred.jpg (416KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
quinred.jpg
416KB, 600x600px
>>2958413
Even the Classico yellow ochre is a mix of 3 pigments. And a lot of the colors with more expensive single pigments don't have a very good pigment load. For example, this is the Classico Quinacridone Red (on top), compared to Holbein's. In this case I would rather take a smaller tube of the artist-grade paint and have the higher pigment load and tinting strength.

Student grade paint can be useful but your essential colors should be good quality.
>>
>>2958427

this.
>>
>>2959130
>>2958413
There are different kinds for each. Acrylic "gesso" isn't gesso at all afterall.
>>
>>2957987
Save up for the medium grade oils. Cheap oils will crack, the colors will shift very quickly, and you'll fight them too much. Keep an eye on sites like Blick for sales and end of the year closeouts. Buy a basic palette, and add to it as you need to.

Medium? Linseed oil, turpentine, Damar varnish, things like that. Try stand oil and turp, for a longer lasting medium, straight linseed will dry faster. I have a formula for one my teacher taught us, that was turp, linseed, and damar, that was more about a really good medium for transparency, than drying time. Start sabing small airtight containers, for saving varnish mixes. Try all kinds, read up online for formulas. (35mm film canisters were perfect for it, but nobody has them around anymore.)

Your panels should be fine for student grade work, but for better stuff you want around a long time, switch to solid wood. Use traditional gesso, not the acrlyic kind.

One thing to keep in mind: Acrylics are not oils, and oils are not acyrlics. It's a completely different medium, you'll need time to learn it's characteristics. But, you'll love it. There are just things you can do in oils, that you can't do in acrylic.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.