[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

drawing inanimate objects

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: blarg.png (188KB, 650x777px) Image search: [Google]
blarg.png
188KB, 650x777px
hey /ic/, just wondering how to get started on drawing inanimate/geometrical objects? i've been working on humans for years but can't even sketch a prop without it looking wonky... also how do you generally approach light on form?

i've asked these questions before in the thread but no one answered so yeah, sorry about this and thanks in advance!
>>
>>2955990
/ic/ is a slow board, don't expect your posts to get replies within an hour or even a day.
To answer your question, you go about drawing inanimate objects the same way you go about drawing people. Building up from shapes.

Working from perspective, you apply the most basic shapes to capture the form of the object you're trying to draw. In this case, a mug would be a base ellipse circle and another larger ellipse circle some distance above it. Then you'd connect two lines from the ends of one circle to the other.
>>
>>2956030
thanks so much for the reply! sorry i was asleep lol, but yeah i did check back but my questions were completely buried... question thread moves too fast.

please, do you always have to work off perspective e.g. using grids? what about more complex shapes and detailing, and do you have any tips about thinking in terms of 3d form? i'm just awful at this stuff.
>>
>>2956531
Go to the Books thread and find the link for Ernest Noling's Perspective Made Easy. It's a short book and should help you with applying shapes in perspective, even complex ones.
>>
>>2957028
thanks, and i've read through that! ...thought i understood as i read it but probably best to stop being too chicken to do the exercises...
>>
>>2958134
If you read through it and are still having problems with props then it's time to bust it back out again.
It goes over the basics well enough to ensure you have very little issue with the placement of objects and how to construct them.

Just remember to use basic shapes and simplify forms with them. Be sure to either draw many of them in perspective and often.
>>
>>2958185
right! i'll go thru it again, want to at least get a basic grasp in a few weeks. thanks for all the help!
>>
>>2958366
No problem, I hope I helped as much as I could. Be sure to post your progress and sketches in the sketchbook/draw thread to get additional advice.
>>
>>2958368
will do! though this place is kinda intimidating lol
>>
>>2958373
If you stick around you'll either get used to it or go insane. That's just 4chan for you
>>
Are you using a tablet, or working with real life pens/pencils/paints? If you're working with physical media then I'll add a few bits, I don't use programs so no point even trying to go there !
>>
>>2958458
i've actually been here for a few months now... gotten weirdly fond of it. haven't been posting regularly though.

>>2958483
welp mainly digital, but for learning purposes i'll try anything and will take any tips you can give! thanks ahaha
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.