[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uncanny Valley

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: .jpg (129KB, 597x900px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
129KB, 597x900px
I've become fascinated with this artist and want to adopt his theme. So how can I translate the "uncanny valley" feeling into my art?

Is it the eyes? Do i draw each limb ofa character in a different style? Is it a hidden element with cold meaning, like the arms?

Tell me! I WANT to bring out the feeling I get from this picture!
>>
Open photo in Photoshop

Filter -> Liquify

So uncanny
>>
File: .jpg (93KB, 597x900px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
93KB, 597x900px
>>2953063

Thats the best advice you can give me? I'm an artist god damnit not a cheap ass digital hack. I want ILLUSTRATE the feeling I get from this images by my own waves of the wrist.

Help me sketch this feeling.
>>
>>2953065

we cant sketch your feelings for you weirdo

Thats your journey
>>
File: .jpg (221KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
221KB, 680x1024px
>>2953066

You can help me paint this feeling.

Stop calling me a weirdo!
>>
The eyes do have a huge part in the uncanny valley feel. Open wide eyes with a smile are unnatural, because in a real smile the cheeks are pushed up and form lines around the eyes. Same with the mouth. In general, a perfectly smooth skin and creepy eyes are enough to set most people off.
>>
>>2953065
Feelings are really hard to draw, weirdo. Sorry though, I don't really have any advice.
>>
So, in these images you've posted, I feel as if their faces don't belong to them, maybe you could try drawing the face of a man on a woman? or a child on to an adults? vice versa too, (obviously)
>>
>>2953065
By the look of their eyes and by their eyebrows, it looks like they were externally proportioned, it does not look like it don't belong to the body, like the body is being used to express something foreign to it. you could almost say that they are like puppets. creepy shit.
>>
>>2953115
>it does not look like it don't belong to the body
i meant, it does not look like it belongs to the body* sorry
>>
>>2953061
wouldn't working that out be the point of making the art?
>>
>>2953067
Maybe do it yourself you fucking piece of shit garbage cunt?
>>
> "uncanny valley"
This phenomenon doesnt actualy exist
>>
OP, the best way to learn a specific artist's techniques is to do a master study. So try replicating some of his images and see if you can get the hang of it.

No one can spoonfeed you the answer, that's not how art works.
>>
>>2953537
how do you explain the phenomena then? does it just so happen that many examples of things in 'the valley' were creepy for other reasons?

i do see people use 'uncanny valley' a lot when they actually just mean uncanny.
>>
You put realistic or hyper-realistic detail on sketches with unrealistic proportions. If that picture had been drawn using flat colors then it would look like a normal cartoon.
>>
>>2953537
It doesn't exist for autists like you that's for sure.
>>
>>2953567
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the creator of Attack on titan. You can do uncanny art with flat drawing. He is proof of that.
>>
lower half of the face muscles are smiling, the upper half isn't.
>>
To me, what triggers uncanny valley reaction is something off in an almost human whole
Like in the pictures you've posted they're smiling but their eyes seem to be disconnected. This disconnect triggers the "back the fuck off?!?!" reaction.

A perfectly symmetrical face or a rubber-like, spotless skin could kick it in too
>>
>>2953061
ew looks like pedo shit. I'm out.
>>
File: creepy-girl-uncanny-valley2[1].jpg (54KB, 900x530px) Image search: [Google]
creepy-girl-uncanny-valley2[1].jpg
54KB, 900x530px
>>
File: cb2.jpg (67KB, 1024x767px) Image search: [Google]
cb2.jpg
67KB, 1024x767px
2 uncanny 5 me
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfhmTX_Fn5E

this youtube channel is a goldmine, OP
>>
>>2953061
All this too human it's not human stuff is a load of crap, if it was real so human like you'd actually mistake it for human. Uncanny valley is achieved by not understanding how structure, muscles and movement work.
>>
>>2953700

Nice strawman bucko, no one said anything about those things
>>
but op, you don't draw. Go back to 8ch and stay there.
>>
File: 1359582106117.jpg (41KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1359582106117.jpg
41KB, 375x375px
>>2953731
>go back to 8ch
>>
>>2953712
It's literally the definition of uncanny valley.
>>
>>2953061
when you smile yours cheeks rise, somewhat covering the eyes, this doesn't happen here, and the eyes are wide open instead, it's unnatural

>>2953065
same thing happens here, plus her eyes, mouth and nose are pasted in, this lack of depth makes her look like a doll (and older)

>>2953067
I'd say the only uncanny element here is the fake mouth, notice how she has no philtrum

>>2953649
same cheek/eye thing

Untrained eyes can't identify those details but you can still feel there's something wrong
>>
>>2953654

>walk into art studio
>this fucking thing is slouched over a chair and facing you with that expression
>bit creeped out but ignore it and get to work
>it rises gets up out of the chair, staggers over without changing it's face and starts pushing you

what do
>>
>>2953080
This
>>
>>2954486
Get down on knee and open mouth.
>>
This looks so pedophilic. What the fuck?
>>
>>2953061

You just add out of place elements that juxtapose with the character. Like wrinkles on a young kid.
>>
>>2953067
It's uncanny valley because all naturally occurring elements have been removed and only the "basics" remain.
Eyes? Check. Eyebrows? Check. Eyelashes? etc.
More like the face was composed of basic face elements.

However, most of the "other" features have been removed. Notice she has no tearducts, no blood vessels or even a pink hue in her eyes. Her pupils are very harsh and drawn on. She has no wrinkles where her smile lines should be, and it has all been evened out. Her eyes, eyelashes, nose glow and mouth are all artificial looking because all naturally occurring things have been removed from them.

It's like drawing a face without any shading or wrinkles, instead just composing one of basic facial elements.

That's my take on it anyway.
>>
>>2953061
>>2953065
>>2953067
is this artist a pedo?
>>
>>2953061
Looks like overly shoped makeuped adult female face pasted in little kids' frames.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.