[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drawing different cultures

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (21KB, 236x317px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
21KB, 236x317px
Don't really understand why drawing different cultures with your interpretation/changing the meaning of certain elements of that culture to fit your design or story is so controversial?

Is this just a tumblr/twitter thing, but artists seem to go bat shit crazy when people 'take advantage' of their culture

random pic but i guess it applies here as well
>>
Others' depictions don't portray the human experience of the culture, but through the lens of their own culture, usually saying more about the artists' own culture and experience than the culture it's trying to depict. It's like that white woman in America who "turned black" after reading about African tribes in the national geographic.
>>
because the cultural appropriation meme is actually just retarded racialized segregation masquerading as being considerate and accepting.

I feel like most civil rights activists would be turning in their graves to see these faggots get butthurt about people actually appreciating their culture and advocating for different people to have to behave a certain way because of their ethnicity.
>>
>>2952708
With that logic you're saying that artists and writers cant accurately depict or write about murder, rape, war, conflict or basically anything they have never experienced first hand.

Depicting the the way you see another culture through your lens is still a human experience in itself one that (with your logic) people from the original culture wont be able to depict because they have never experienced it in such a way

Which is in my honest opinion a shitty way of thinking about things
>>
>>2952870
and that's why artists who depict secondhand rape, murder or war experience don't come close to the real thing.
>>
>>2952689
People will complain no matter what you do.

Paint only white people
>You need to be more inclusive
Draw non-white people
>I don't like the way you draw black people
Make typical Euro-centric fantasy images
>You need to be more diverse and multicultural
Make non-Euro-centric fantasy images
>Cultural appropriation!

Just do whatever the fuck you truly want to do and ignore what other people want. Especially if it is personal art. Making your personal art cater to other people is retarded. The people who complain the loudest tend to be worthless non-creatives who are really just unhappy with themselves anyway.
>>
>>2952872
ok lol name an artist that has experienced one of those things and has drawn it accurately as well.
Idont think i need to give you examples of artists who havent experienced them and drawn them as they are probably 79.9% of the artist population. ur probably one of them as well.
also theres this thing called empathy and research dude. thats how artists that dont have first hand experience can still relatively accurately depict experiences they havent gone through (maybe even more so than artists who have gone through them idfk) and vice versa.
if you ONLY allowed people to draw and write what they experienced first hand and only that, the world would be a very boring place my dude
>>
>>2952872
sorry you feel that way man (youre missing out) but try reading 'room' by emma donohugehrhhrhrh (dont remember how to spell her name)

didnt go through what she was writing about herself, but still was pretty fucking realistic if i do say so myself.
>>
>>2952689
Because Tumblr, Twitter and other overly PC sites are fucking stupid.

Everyone's free to draw whatever the fuck they want, even if it offends someone, accidentally or not.

Although I admit seeing my culture wrongly represented by foreigners makes me kind of upset, people are completely free to portray it that way, but I find it completely acceptable to not accurately portray a culture in a fantasy setting where you're not really using the actual culture from real life but one that you made up inspired by it, so in that context it shouldn't matter to anyone if you don't "accurately portray" a real culture. That's actually pretty cool in my opinion.

My point is that if you're trying to represent a real culture in a realistic setting it's kind of a touchy subject and I don't blame anyone for getting upset by a bad portrayal of their culture, but if it's a fantasy setting complaining about that is just stupid.
>>
>>2952689
>Is this just a tumblr/twitter thing
It's politics and it's not just about race/gender and other identity politics bullshit tumblr loves.
Corporate, media and politics are closer than ever nowadays, and they don't like not having 100% of the narrative in their hands. We're right now experiencing delegitimization of smaller news outlets, a backlash against independent content creators and political support for the religion that literally classifies figurative drawing as one of the greatest sins a person can commit.

Art is freedom, and freedom is in the process of becoming illegal.
>>
>>2952689
never ever listen to other people when it comes to what to draw, draw what you want and you will find an audience
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.